Instant Pot

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 1202 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am addicted to my Ninja Foodi. I use several times a week. Especially the air fryer setting. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. The pressure cooker setting worked really well too. :D

A Ninja Foodi is COMPLETELY different than an InstantPot.

NOT. THE. SAME.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! Did you hear me? COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

There is only one InstantPot.

All hail the InstantPot!!

Except for the InstantPot model that caught fire and was recalled. Nobody hail that one. In fact, don't even bring it up. We like to forget it was ever manufactured.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have and use an InstantPot. Have never used for Sous Vide. It is great for making SOME things. Note you will need to find and develop a whole set of recipes just for the IP. I use probably once a week. TERRIBLE for a slow cooker so if you think you're going to get rid of your slow cooker, don't. Lots of good recipes on pressureluck.com, he also has a youtube channel (and he's a cutish nebish-y jewish gay boy from NY). There are a few good instantpot groups on Facebook. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a foodi at Costco and am thinking of taking it back. The air fryer function works great but the pressure cooker is too big for a single person. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it for single serve recipes

Do you not like to cook ahead and freeze larger batches into daily individual servings? I’m just curious, personally not a fan of that vein of gadgets. Not to say I don’t have addictive kitchen gadget syndrome, just not small electrics.

I bought a foodi at Costco and am thinking of taking it back. The air fryer function works great but the pressure cooker is too big for a single person. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it for single serve recipes

Your post made me chuckle. I replaced my first InstantPot because it only held 6 quarts and it wasn't big enough to accommodate my recipes. A couple of tips and suggestions:

• NEVER EVER fill a pressure cooker more than 2/3 from the top. That means a 6 qt pressure cooker can hold up to 4 quarts of food. You would be surprised how little chili or soup comprises four quarts.
  • You can brown meat using an electric pressure cooker like the Foodi
  • A roasted chicken is super-simple in a pressure cooker. All it takes is a couple of cups of stock, a chicken, and some vegetables. You can freeze the leftovers or make them into something else
  • Soup, chili, and stews are easy and quick. They also freeze well.

Give the Foodi a chance.

Do you not like to cook ahead and freeze larger batches into daily individual servings? I’m just curious, personally not a fan of that vein of gadgets. Not to say I don’t have addictive kitchen gadget syndrome, just not small electrics.

Sometime I freeze things and thought about using it for that. There's a couple kinds of soup I like to make but I use my Vitamix for that (the Vitamix is one appliance I love and use a lot) My concern with the pressure cooker feature is being able to check on food. If I use the air fryer function it is easy enough to check on the food but with a pressure cooker it's sealed and you can't really open it to check on the food, especially if it's a slow release.

Your post made me chuckle. I replaced my first InstantPot because it only held 6 quarts and it wasn't big enough to accommodate my recipes. A couple of tips and suggestions:

• NEVER EVER fill a pressure cooker more than 2/3 from the top. That means a 6 qt pressure cooker can hold up to 4 quarts of food. You would be surprised how little chili or soup comprises four quarts.
  • You can brown meat using an electric pressure cooker like the Foodi
  • A roasted chicken is super-simple in a pressure cooker. All it takes is a couple of cups of stock, a chicken, and some vegetables. You can freeze the leftovers or make them into something else
  • Soup, chili, and stews are easy and quick. They also freeze well.

Give the Foodi a chance.

I was thinking of making chili this weekend (using a canned starter) and didn't think of using it to brown the meat. Maybe I'll try using it to cook the chili as well instead of the stove top.

I make and freeze soups a lot but have a slow cooker (was told the slow cooker function on a instant pot isn't that great) and a vitamix for a few of the cream based soups I make. I buy fresh tamales from the Mexican grocery store a lot and a neighbor said they are really good if you cook them in the pressure cooker so I may try that as well. I really want to try the yogurt function when I have more time to play around with it.

I'm a fan of pressure cooking so when my stove top pressure cooker finally gave up the ghost after 25 years of almost weekly use I checked out a number of electric PCs. I chose the instapot 6 qt from Costco. I used it to make 80% of my Thanksgiving dinner, including a cheesecake. Everything came out great. If you're interested in exploring pressure cooking I'd recommend one.

I had one but I ended up giving it to my mother. Its an awesome tool but it takes you out of the cooking process. If you like to cook and do all the stirring and labor like I do then you'll get bored with it. Thats why I gave it to my mother...she likes to set it and forget it.

For me, it was too big and far too messy and smelly to be something I wanted to have around.

I felt that way about some of the guys I brought home. But I just asked them to leave - I didn't take them to to Good Will. Guess I missed the charitable contribution write-off.

• 1 month later...

I have the air fryer attachment for the 6-qt Instant Pot. It works OK, but it isn't really big enough to cook an entire chicken or anything like that. Manu of the air fryers can fit a whole chicken. However, it did a nice job on a bone-in chicken breast. If I was in the market for an InstantPot I'd buy the 8 qt Evo Plus. My first Instant Pot was a 6 qt and I found that my recipes were suited for an 8 qt. The thing about pressure cooking is you can only fill the pot about 2/3 of capacity. If you overfill it, the pot won't reach full pressure.

I'd also stay away from their slow cookers and oven-type things. Their core competency is pressure cookers and they have designed one that works well. Their first foray into slow cookers caught fire. I'd get a Cuisinart or Cock Pot brand slow cooker. Besides, after you start using your pressure cooker you won't use the slow cooker very much.