Covid19 Recovery

keroscenefire
This topic is 1302 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think voters who are deciding to wait until election day are taking a big risk that they will be healthy on that day. COVID is spiking in a lot of places including swing states like Wisconsin, Iowa, Nevada and North Carolina. Hospitalizations are increasing too. People going to these super-spreader Trump rallies now and in the next week or so may end up being too ill to go to the polls. I had COVID and I could barely leave my bed for several days in a row, much less drive or walk anywhere. Which is why I think the candidate who gets those early and absentee votes is going to have a huge advantage.

Edited by keroscenefire

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. Yes I felt very bad...really high fevers (103-104), really terrible feeling in my lungs like a horse was sitting on my chest and just incredible fatigue and body aches. Fortunately I had an oximeter my sister let me borrow (she has asthma) and a thermometer. My doctor had me strictly monitor both my blood oxygen and my fever and told me to go to the hospital the fever stayed at or above 104 for long especially if it didn't go down with Tylenol and/or my blood oxygen went under 90 percent (It was at 90-92 percent for several days). I got sick in April right when COVID was just starting to get bad and my doctor advised me against going to the hospital unless it was really an emergency because of course they didn't know as much about the disease then and many people were having pretty bad outcomes when they went to the hospital. So I just stayed at home, but was terribly sick for about 2 weeks straight and still had breathing difficulties for months after.

Thank you. Yes I felt very bad...really high fevers (103-104), really terrible feeling in my lungs like a horse was sitting on my chest and just incredible fatigue and body aches. Fortunately I had an oximeter my sister let me borrow (she has asthma) and a thermometer. My doctor had me strictly monitor both my blood oxygen and my fever and told me to go to the hospital the fever stayed at or above 104 for long especially if it didn't go down with Tylenol and/or my blood oxygen went under 90 percent (It was at 90-92 percent for several days). I got sick in April right when COVID was just starting to get bad and my doctor advised me against going to the hospital unless it was really an emergency because of course they didn't know as much about the disease then and many people were having pretty bad outcomes when they went to the hospital. So I just stayed at home, but was terribly sick for about 2 weeks straight and still had breathing difficulties for months after.

A good job you were able to deal with it without hospital. You are an inspiration, panic alone would have probably taken me.

Sorry to prolong a topic that is not the point of the thread. I tested + in late June and was quarantined for over a week. I had occasional mild headaches, chills, weird sensations/mild pains in chest and wrists. I ran a fever only when I returned to work and got a bit dehydrated. Nothing serious, despite my many years.

Sorry to prolong a topic that is not the point of the thread. I tested + in late June and was quarantined for over a week. I had occasional mild headaches, chills, weird sensations/mild pains in chest and wrists. I ran a fever only when I returned to work and got a bit dehydrated. Nothing serious, despite my many years.

The posting of personal experiences with Covid is a good thing. We are all in uncharted waters with Covid, hence every scrap of information has value. Perhaps worthy of an independent thread.

The posting of personal experiences with Covid is a good thing. We are all in uncharted waters with Covid, hence every scrap of information has value. Perhaps worthy of an independent thread.

Great idea! It would be nice to have someplace where folks could post their personal experience with a Covid-19 infection

I think voters who are deciding to wait until election day are taking a big risk that they will be healthy on that day. COVID is spiking in a lot of places including swing states like Wisconsin, Iowa, Nevada and North Carolina. Hospitalizations are increasing too. People going to these super-spreader Trump rallies now and in the next week or so may end up being too ill to go to the polls. I had COVID and I could barely leave my bed for several days in a row, much less drive or walk anywhere. Which is why I think the candidate who gets those early and absentee votes is going to have a huge advantage.

Glad you are feeling better..My 25 year old cousin still feels weak after 3 months. He was a student at Ohio State U and played football..no underlying health problems Very different for everyone.

I'm glad you didn't have a serious case. I've had a few other friends get sick from COVID with very different experiences. One friend just had a slight headache and lost taste/smell but her husband was sick like me with high fevers and incredible fatigue for a couple weeks and lingering breathing issues even til today. A work colleague has it right now and she is kind of in the middle: Slight fevers (around 100), fatigue, loss of taste/smell and a mild cough. An acquaintance of mine got so sick she had to go to the hospital though including being on a ventilator, which is really rough. I think she was in the hospital for about a month in late May/early June, but she fortunately recovered. Since I got it pretty early, I am kinda used to being the de-facto expert on COVID. Haha.

I'm glad you didn't have a serious case. I've had a few other friends get sick from COVID with very different experiences. One friend just had a slight headache and lost taste/smell but her husband was sick like me with high fevers and incredible fatigue for a couple weeks and lingering breathing issues even til today. A work colleague has it right now and she is kind of in the middle: Slight fevers (around 100), fatigue, loss of taste/smell and a mild cough. An acquaintance of mine got so sick she had to go to the hospital though including being on a ventilator, which is really rough. I think she was in the hospital for about a month in late May/early June, but she fortunately recovered. Since I got it pretty early, I am kinda used to being the de-facto expert on COVID. Haha.

Yeah, I forgot to mention weeks of fatigue, complicated by me being a heavy smoker. Amazes me how wildly different symptoms can be person to person. And out of the cluster of peeps I knew who got it around the same time, my 27yo nephew by far had it the worst-102 fever and in the ICU for days. Everyone else was 40 and above.

A good job you were able to deal with it without hospital. You are an inspiration, panic alone would have probably taken me.

I'm glad I have a good doctor who is actually very good with the whole telemedicine thing. One night I felt so bad that I strongly contemplated going to the ER, but the nurse helpline urged me to stay home and set-up a doctor's appointment the next morning. That was when my doctor really gave me some strong guidelines about staying at home vs. going to the hospital and I am really grateful for his response. For me COVID was really bad at night..my fever would spike and I would have a lot of pressure in my lungs. But being able to see that my fever and O2 was in an acceptable range allowed me to ride it out, even if it took multiple doses of Ny-Quil just to fall asleep.

I’ve read that there are several strains. The early one, which you may have contracted, was particularly nasty.

I’ve read that there are several strains. The early one, which you may have contracted, was particularly nasty.

Yeah...that's definitely possible it was an earlier strain. Or maybe my blood type is more effected or I had comorbidities (I am considered overweight and have slightly high blood-pressue though overall I think I am pretty healthy). It's always hard to say.

Yeah...that's definitely possible it was an earlier strain. Or maybe my blood type is more effected or I had comorbidities (I am considered overweight and have slightly high blood-pressue though overall I think I am pretty healthy). It's always hard to say.

Re blood type: I have O+, which I’ve heard may offer some level of resistance. I’ve never had the flu, for instance, and rarely get other than brief head colds.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out aerobic capacity pre-illness is the key variable. It correlates strongly but not perfectly with weight, as there are skinny couch potatoes and heavier athletes. So you'd still expect to see some heavier people who shake it off amd skinnier people who get quite ill.

@keroscenefire and @Leyte2019 have either of you taken the antibody test to determine if you still have antibodies to the virus? I would think the CDC, NIH, etc. would be gathering as much data as possible from those that have experienced the virus.

Yes I took the antibody test. That's actually how I know I had COVID. When I was sick, they didn't yet have very many tests so they we're only really testing those that basically went to the hospital. But in early June I took the antibody test and it was confirmed that I had COVID.

I wonder if the “luck of the draw” randomness is related to the viral load of initial exposure? Impossible to know how much virus is in the contagious material, unless it’s from a known patient to caregiver. Before masks and distancing you could be around the same carrier person for days as their load was increasing, neither of you knowing, which may be part of the explosive nature of spread. It’s being detected earlier now thanks to testing so we can at least protect others by isolating for a period once we know. Scary to see rapid rises in Europe right now! I tested neg a couple months ago, have been staying at home, and will get tested again soon to protect a friend fighting cancer who I can see masked and distanced if I’m negative.

I had it in mid-March with the initial breakout. I likely caught it at a concert on March 10, days before our local lockdown began.

For me it was the equivalent of moderate allergies, less than a bad cold and no fever. I was surprised I was able to get tested (the test was in late April after I no longer had any symptoms at all). For what it’s worth I’m in my late 40’s, 30lbs overweight, and type O-.

However, two colleagues of mine also had it at the same time. A fit looking 50yo man who’s life it took, and a fit 32yo runner who said it was the sickest he’s been in his life, with two weeks of severe fatigue and body aches.

More recently, family members of a couple friends have had it. Fortunately, as of this posting, and knock on wood, no one has been hospitalized.

I think they strongly suspect that initial viral load is a key determinant of severity, as that's true of a lot of similar viruses. They just can't TEST it because it would be unethical to give someone a disease. Getting it at a concert would seem to be likely to be a lower "dose" than, say, getting it from someone you live with.