The Social Dilemma

This topic is 1303 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is sad to say but I really am not sure what "social media" encompasses. Is it only Facebook (and the ilk)? Or also Tumblr and Twitter? Or even this?

Social Media as a term can refer to any app-based platform.on which you share ideas, pictures, or music with the goal of getting responses of approval, or additional sharing.

Facebook, InstaGram, Twitter, SnapChat, TikTok are the primary examples. The exchanges on web-based forums like this might seem social, but as far as the business model goes, it’s entirely different. Watch the doc.

Social Media as a term can refer to any app-based platform.on which you share ideas, pictures, or music with the goal of getting responses of approval, or additional sharing.

Facebook, InstaGram, Twitter, SnapChat, TikTok are the primary examples. The exchanges on web-based forums like this might seem social, but as far as the business model goes, it’s entirely different. Watch the doc.

Thanks, will do.

I haven't watched it, but it has garnered a lot of publicity here, so much so that our public broadcaster's flagship Q&A panel discussion program had it as the subject of this Monday's episode. They had a panel that included the federal government's eSafety Commissioner, a tech journalist and a thoughtful pair of widely followed instagramers. They had one of the producers of the doco on the line to answer some of the audience questions.

I haven't watched it, but it has garnered a lot of publicity here, so much so that our public broadcaster's flagship Q&A panel discussion program had it as the subject of this Monday's episode. They had a panel that included the federal government's eSafety Commissioner, a tech journalist and a thoughtful pair of widely followed instagramers. They had one of the producers of the doco on the line to answer some of the audience questions.

after you watch, I would love to hear your response, and how you think social media’s presence in lives of Australians compares to its all-consuming profile the US.