Delta Flight Turns Around With Mask Refusers

Lucky
This topic is 1395 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A Delta Airlines flight from Detroit to Atlanta turned around after departure when two passengers refused to wear masks. Bravo, Delta! But those poor folk who did wear masks were pretty inconvenienced by these two assholes.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/01/delta-flight-forced-to-turn-around-after-passengers-refused-to-wear-masks/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As masks have now become a political issue, look for airlines doing this more frequently.

It happened on an AA flight I took last week. The whole cabin clapped when the woman was removed.

Your flight turned back too? That didn't make the paper.

Your flight turned back too? That didn't make the paper.

Eh. It's commonplace. Stupid human tricks.

The flight never turned back because it never left the gate. They quickly took her out. We pushed back.

These people don't deserve a repeated headline. Kick em' off, bar them from future flying, keep the plane moving.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

What about Alpha and Charlie?

——-

They landed their flight from India and played golf with Mike and his papa Victor, caddied by uniformed Oscar, followed by a whiskey and a kilo of lima beans at their Sierra Madre hotel, then danced the November night away doing the foxtrot and tango in a hall with an echo, all very romantically like a Romeo & Juliet story only two deliriously happy queens but Charlie sprained his ankle tripping on a Zebra-skin rug and got an x-ray cuz it bruised all yellow.

Now get me the fuck outa confinement.

Edited by SirBIllybob

I've seen several reports about the Delta flight, and they weren't clear if the flight got off the ground or if it just returned to the gate before takeoff. I hope Delta goes after these two for the cost of going back either way.

The other good thing Delta is doing is making those passengers who want to claim a medical exemption from wearing a mask to arrive at hour early for an assessment or reconsider flying at all. None of this fake exemption card BS. I'll happily fly Delta for setting a clear policy and sticking to it.

Delta has been my airline of choice for over 2 decades. Rarely have had a problem with them and even if I do, they almost always are quick to fix it.

I was supposed to fly Virgin Atlantic (Delta coded ticket) to London this month before I cancelled my trip. Might now just book my flight in Delta itself when I feel comfortable rebooking.

I've been trying to find out if the plane had left the airport and was in the air when it turned around. It isn't easy. Most articles say it turned around and returned to the gate, implying, to me at least, that it had not taken off.

Yet one site says: According to local news reports, a Delta pilot actually took the extraordinary step in recent days of turning a flight around and landing in order to force the compliance of two passengers who refused to put a face mask on. The flight was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta, and it briefly returned to Detroit because of two non-compliant passengers. (bgr.com) (emph. mine)

I agree re Delta. The best legacy carrier. I haven‘t flown much this year, but have a trip on Alaska next week. Thankfully, Alaska is a civilized airline and all middle seats are blocked. I suppose I’ll be fine.

I also tried out the soap and water program on my reading glasses. It worked well and they never fogged up on a 4 hour flight back in May. Apparently, the surfactants in the soap resist fogging.

It wasn't a political issue that caused the pilot to return to the gate, it was a health issue.

Mike - While it is definitely a health issue, some folks have taken the stance that the requirement to wear a mask for everyone's health is a political restriction on personal freedoms. Reminds me of a letter to editor I saw copied to Facebook this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2657854097761690&set=a.1475242166022895&type=3&theater

Mike - While it is definitely a health issue, some folks have taken the stance that the requirement to wear a mask for everyone's health is a political restriction on personal freedoms. Reminds me of a letter to editor I saw copied to Facebook this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2657854097761690&set=a.1475242166022895&type=3&theater

I don't disagree with you at all and the politicization of wearing masks disgusts me. Just pointing out that i don't think Delta did it for political reasons.

I don't disagree with you at all and the politicization of wearing masks disgusts me. Just pointing out that i don't think Delta did it for political reasons.

I didn't read @Benjamin_Nicholas' comment that way, although the juxtaposition of the two points could have made it appear so. I assumed he was talking about airlines taking a health-based zero tolerance approach to people making what they see as political stands by refusing to wear a mask

Are there now signs actually on aircraft indicating a mask is obligatory? That could be a way of doubling down. For example, regarding aircraft seatbelts it can be an offence (FAA?) ... I’m not American (not the airline) ... to disregard the fasten sign but I believe refusing crew verbal instructions is a different offence. For a mask sign I suppose a new piece of transport legislation would need to be passed unless a public health law exists to cover the bases.

Are there now signs actually on aircraft indicating a mask is obligatory? That could be a way of doubling down. For example, regarding aircraft seatbelts it can be an offence (FAA?) ... I’m not American (not the airline) ... to disregard the fasten sign but I believe refusing crew verbal instructions is a different offence. For a mask sign I suppose a new piece of transport legislation would need to be passed unless a public health law exists to cover the bases.

I flew American last weekend and passengers are told multiple times that wearing a face covering was mandatory on the flight:

1. When checking in luggage
  2. At the gate when boarding instructions were provided
  3. While boarding the plane
  4. During pre-flight instructions

Side note: On only one of the four flights did the instructions provided during "in the case of the loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks...." section include a message to remove your face covering before putting on the oxygen mask.

I've been trying to find out if the plane had left the airport and was in the air when it turned around. It isn't easy. Most articles say it turned around and returned to the gate, implying, to me at least, that it had not taken off.

Yet one site says: According to local news reports, a Delta pilot actually took the extraordinary step in recent days of turning a flight around and landing in order to force the compliance of two passengers who refused to put a face mask on. The flight was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta, and it briefly returned to Detroit because of two non-compliant passengers. (bgr.com) (emph. mine)

If you know the flight number, you may be able to find out on a tracking site like flightradar. (My apologies if someone else has already suggested this; I did not read to the end of the thread.)

A Delta Airlines flight from Detroit to Atlanta turned around after departure when two passengers refused to wear masks. Bravo, Delta! But those poor folk who did wear masks were pretty inconvenienced by these two assholes.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/01/delta-flight-forced-to-turn-around-after-passengers-refused-to-wear-masks/

As masks have now become a political issue, look for airlines doing this more frequently.

It happened on an AA flight I took last week. The whole cabin clapped when the woman was removed.

Fight in KLM flight from Amsterdam to Ibiza because of some passengers refused to wear a mask.

More to come!

vuelo-amsterdam-ibiza-pelea-mascarilla-kl8B--620x349@abc.jpeg

[MEDIA=twitter]1289814188907311106[/MEDIA]

The passengers involved should be held financially responsible for all of the costs involved, to both the airline and fellow passengers. I realize those passengers are probably low-lifes without the means, but they should be required to liquidate whatever assets they have. Of course, they should also be placed on the "no fly" list. I'm sure that Delta will never let them fly with them again.

Edited by Unicorn

Fight in KLM flight from Amsterdam to Ibiza because of some passengers refused to wear a mask.

More to come!

I notice the man with the moustache was wearing his mask well below his nose. Just the same as not wearing a mask at all. I saw a woman at the grocery store today who wore the mask over her mouth only. She should have been asked to wear the mask properly or leave. That what's done where I work (medical office).

Delta has been my airline of choice for over 2 decades. Rarely have had a problem with them and even if I do, they almost always are quick to fix it.

I was supposed to fly Virgin Atlantic (Delta coded ticket) to London this month before I cancelled my trip. Might now just book my flight in Delta itself when I feel comfortable rebooking.

That's been my experience with Delta as well. If you're thinking of switching because you haven't flown VA before, I've had a uniformly good experience with the VA flights to and from London (which, like yours, were Delta code-share flights). If you have flown VA before, well, then, nevermind. :)

That's been my experience with Delta as well. If you're thinking of switching because you haven't flown VA before, I've had a uniformly good experience with the VA flights to and from London (which, like yours, were Delta code-share flights). If you have flown VA before, well, then, nevermind. :)

The one time I flew to London was on VA on a Delta coded flight. VA was a great experience. Depending on when I decide to go back to London, I will decide which airline I want to fly.

More to come!

Anyone else notice that some of the passengers involved in this brawl who were wearing masks only had them on for decoration, pulled down over their chins or only covering their mouths and not their noses?