Baseball: Opening Day Observations

Lucky
This topic is 1371 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So we went without for several months, and finally, baseball was here. The defending World Champion Washington Nationals hosting the New York Yankees. My calendar had been marked for days. I signed up for the season package on mlb.tv.com. Imagine my surprise when mlb.tv.com sold out its entire subscription base and handed the game solely to ESPN. I don't get ESPN. Frustrated as I was, I went to SlingTV and bought the Orange package for a month because it includes ESPN. Cost: $20*. That's 1/3 of what I had paid mlb.tv.com. It took forever to get signed in as Sling just wouldn't recognize my password. When I finally got the game, it was half-way finished. Then I had to adjust to the lack of spectators, the artificial crowd noise, and the endless jabbering of their announcers, who were broadcasting off-site. Yes, I ended up enjoying much of the game, but it wasn't quite the same. Greedy ESPN missed a play where Carl Yastremski's grandson was hit by a pitch because they were still showing commercials. At one point, there was an M&M commercial on half the screen, the game on the other half. More teams open tonight and ESPN has a lock on three of the games. I can see where the fan would not feel valued, by baseball and ESPN. But the big news? Mookie Betts signed a contract for $365 million! Who is going to pay for that? M&M's, no doubt!

(*Once I had paid the $20, I went to sling.com and saw that they had a promotional 3-day free trial!) Oh, the Yankees won!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon I've been watching the Braves/Mets game. It seems a couple of times, they have not returned from the commercials before play resumes. I wonder if the lack of on-site television crews is letting the game play at a more natural pace? I've also noticed that the absence of fans means no need to stop and wave to the crowd during the walk up music.

Of course, this is just one game, but so far it feels good to have a little faster tempo.

Now that you mention it, I noticed that too. I've had the TV on ESPN this afternoon while I read the latest Don Winslow book. The Yankee game last night had 4 million viewers, which is the largest regular season total in the last 9 years. So people are hungry for some baseball.

Watching my favorite team today, it was refreshing for the crowd to not heavily favor the road team for a change. However, most of the cardboard cut out crowd wasn't wearing team garb, and there were two cardboard cutouts of dogs in the front row. Being a Padres fan is a lifelong bitch - for real.

Watching my favorite team today, it was refreshing for the crowd to not heavily favor the road team for a change. However, most of the cardboard cut out crowd wasn't wearing team garb, and there were two cardboard cutouts of dogs in the front row. Being a Padres fan is a lifelong bitch - for real.

Mets won 1 0. As usual Jacob DeGrom, newly groomed, pitched amazingly and the Mets as usual scored no runs for him. Once again, despite the Met Win, DeGrom has a no decision for 5 innings stiking out 8 and allowing only one hit. On a team with some pop in the bats, DeGrom would probably have about 30 more career wins. As it is, despite two Cy Youngs in a row, the Mets are only about 500 when he pitches. Fake crowd noise was sad. Best comment from the announcers: When Diaz comes on for the save in the ninth after blowing more than 10 games last year, the announcer said: If cardboard cutouts could get to the edge of their seats, it would be happening right now.

Mets won 1 0. As usual Jacob DeGrom, newly groomed, pitched amazingly and the Mets as usual scored no runs for him. Once again, despite the Met Win, DeGrom has a no decision for 5 innings stiking out 8 and allowing only one hit. On a team with some pop in the bats, DeGrom would probably have about 30 more career wins. As it is, despite two Cy Youngs in a row, the Mets are only about 500 when he pitches. Fake crowd noise was sad. Best comment from the announcers: When Diaz comes on for the save in the ninth after blowing more than 10 games last year, the announcer said: If cardboard cutouts could get to the edge of their seats, it would be happening right now.

This afternoon I've been watching the Braves/Mets game. It seems a couple of times, they have not returned from the commercials before play resumes. I wonder if the lack of on-site television crews is letting the game play at a more natural pace? I've also noticed that the absence of fans means no need to stop and wave to the crowd during the walk up music.

Of course, this is just one game, but so far it feels good to have a little faster tempo.

I have been watching a lot of live tennis exhibition tournaments (i.e., no ATP or WTA ranking points for players) on Tennis Channel, ESPN2 and CBSSN, and have also noticed mis-fits between commercials and breaks in play, because the umpires are not observing the usual longer breaks between games demanded for live broadcasts, especially for matches being played in Europe. There are fans in the stands for some of the European tournaments, but the numbers are small and the fans are spaced out throughout the stands.

I'm watching tonight. The dogs must have season tickets - they're still in the front row. I didn't see any opening day games. Usually the stadium is decorated with bunting for Opening Day. Did any teams have bunting?

I'm watching tonight. The dogs must have season tickets - they're still in the front row. I didn't see any opening day games. Usually the stadium is decorated with bunting for Opening Day. Did any teams have bunting?

I never bunted when I played recreational competitive ball. The idea of the ball foul tipping off the bat and blasting into my face was too much. Favorite moment : getting a game winning hit once and having my ass slapped by a multitude of people in a short period of time. That was free!

The Marlins could hardly field a team they have so many positive players. The Yankees were set to use the same visitor clubhouse in Philadelphia that the Marlins just vacated, but that was not a good idea, so game canceled.

I think that the season is in real jeopardy.

The Marlins could hardly field a team they have so many positive players. The Yankees were set to use the same visitor clubhouse in Philadelphia that the Marlins just vacated, but that was not a good idea, so game canceled.

14 Marlins have tested positive for Covid19 but so far not one other player on the other 29 teams. The Marlins might be sunk, but predictions that the entire MLB season is finished are premature.

but so far not one other player on the other 29 teams.

That's not true. Matt Davidson of the Cincinnati Reds who served as the DH in their season opener against the Detroit Tigers tested positive for COVD19 the following day and is now on the IL.

~Boomer~

Thinking about this some more, I'm less surprised that it is only the Miami team that has the high number of cases, based on stats coming out of Southern Florida lately. As such, I'm not yet in the boat thinking that the season is in real jeopardy.

However, if this had been another franchise, such as St. Louis, then I'd begin to wonder.

Thinking about this some more, I'm less surprised that it is only the Miami team that has the high number of cases, based on stats coming out of Southern Florida lately. As such, I'm not yet in the boat thinking that the season is in real jeopardy.

However, if this had been another franchise, such as St. Louis, then I'd begin to wonder.

The St. Louis team didn't seem like the National League version of the Yakees when Whitey Herzog was the Manger and General Manager in the 1980s..

Herzog invented the running Redbirds. Stealing bases plus Fielding and pitching.

But the lowest number of home runs.

St. Louis players told to isolate in Milwaukee hotel after at least one player tests positive for COVID19. Today's game between St. Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers is cancelled.

Marlins, Phillies, Blue Jays, Orioles, Yankees have also had games cancelled. The Phillies' home park hosted the Marlins last weekend.

Who knows when the Phillies will be able to play there again

Update: apparently two Cardinal pitchers tested positive for COVID19.

Edited by WilliamM