My "gay" anniversary

Charlie
This topic is 1429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sixty years ago today, I was approached in the Port Authority bus terminal in New York by an attractive young man who introduced himself as "Michel." He was tall and slender, with black hair and blue eyes, and he asked, "Are you gay?" I wasn't sure what he was asking--he had a slight accent (I later learned he was French Canadian), but I thought perhaps there was a slight language problem, and he was probably asking whether I was feeling light-hearted and in a mood for some friendly fun. "Yes!" I beamed back. He suggested that we go back to his place, which turned out to be a room in an old tenement on the Lower East Side, with a communal bathroom down the hall. As soon as the door closed behind us, he practically ripped my clothes off, and proceeded to take me through the standard repertoire of male-on-male sexual acts: oral/anal/top/bottom. I had never had sex with a man before, and to me the most thrilling part was the passionate kissing during much of it.

After a couple of hours and several climaxes, we finally started to get dressed again. "Wow!" I gushed. "I didn't know some of those things were possible!" He stopped and gave me a puzzled look. "But you said you were gay?" It was my turn to look confused. "Umm, maybe I don't understand what you meant...." It suddenly dawned on him that I was much less experienced than he had assumed. For the next half hour he gave me a vocabulary lesson about what we had been doing (e.g., I thought that 'rim' was a noun, not a verb), and explained what it meant to say that I was "gay." By the time I got back on the bus to my home in the suburbs (I learned I was a "bridge and tunnel queen"), I felt much more sophisticated than when I had arrived, and I had a new word to identify myself. So wherever you are, Michel, thank you for teaching me what it meant to be "gay."

Sixty years ago today, I was approached in the Port Authority bus terminal in New York by an attractive young man who introduced himself as "Michel." He was tall and slender, with black hair and blue eyes, and he asked, "Are you gay?" I wasn't sure what he was asking--he had a slight accent (I later learned he was French Canadian), but I thought perhaps there was a slight language problem, and he was probably asking whether I was feeling light-hearted and in a mood for some friendly fun. "Yes!" I beamed back. He suggested that we go back to his place, which turned out to be a room in an old tenement on the Lower East Side, with a communal bathroom down the hall. As soon as the door closed behind us, he practically ripped my clothes off, and proceeded to take me through the standard repertoire of male-on-male sexual acts: oral/anal/top/bottom. I had never had sex with a man before, and to me the most thrilling part was the passionate kissing during much of it.

After a couple of hours and several climaxes, we finally started to get dressed again. "Wow!" I gushed. "I didn't know some of those things were possible!" He stopped and gave me a puzzled look. "But you said you were gay?" It was my turn to look confused. "Umm, maybe I don't understand what you meant...." It suddenly dawned on him that I was much less experienced than he had assumed. For the next half hour he gave me a vocabulary lesson about what we had been doing (e.g., I thought that 'rim' was a noun, not a verb), and explained what it meant to say that I was "gay." By the time I got back on the bus to my home in the suburbs (I learned I was a "bridge and tunnel queen"), I felt much more sophisticated than when I had arrived, and I had a new word to identify myself. So wherever you are, Michel, thank you for teaching me what it meant to be "gay."

@Charlie, I'm glad you had a nice time. I had a couple of questions for clarification that I hope aren't too intrusive.

1). Had you known prior to this that you were a "FOD"(= "Friend of Dorothy?)"

2). Had you had experiences with guys before?

3). Had you gone to the bus station specifically to find fun?

4). What do you think it was it about you, aside from being an attractive guy in your teens or early 20's, that made Michel pick you from possibly other FOD's there that day. Did you do anything to specifically attract attention of other FODs?

5). Did you ever see Michel again?

Gman

@Charlie, I'm glad you had a nice time. I had a couple of questions for clarification that I hope aren't too intrusive.

1). Had you known prior to this that you were a "FOD"(= "Friend of Dorothy?)"

2). Had you had experiences with guys before?

3). Had you gone to the bus station specifically to find fun?

4). What do you think it was it about you, aside from being an attractive guy in your teens or early 20's, that made Michel pick you from possibly other FOD's there that day. Did you do anything to specifically attract attention of other FODs?

5). Did you ever see Michel again?

Gman

1. I knew I was attracted to men (FOD was not one of the acronyms he taught me), but....

2. I had no sexual experience other than fumbling as an adolescent with friends.

3. Sort of

4. The fact that I seemed to be hanging around the public men's room?

5. No. He gave me a phone number (which I still have), but I never called it.

A bit off topic, but when I used to go on cruises I noticed how the daily program often had meetings and receptions for 'Friends of Dorothy'. On my third cruise I was shaking my head at the bizarre coincidence of being on yet another cruise with this Dorothy. Who the heck is this woman, and why is she getting so much attention? So I went to the Purser's Desk and asked the staff there. It was difficult to understand the answer amidst all of their laughter. I think one may have even snorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever gone back to that room? Does the hotel still exist? Road trip ...

Did you ever gone back to that room? Does the hotel still exist? Road trip ...

I never did go back. It wasn't a hotel; it was an old tenement in which one rented individual studio apartments, but the bathroom was a common one down the hall. I don't even know the address, only that it was somewhere on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, an area that I was not familiar with at the time.

Great story, Charlie, and thanks for sharing it. It's a shame we can't all get together and you could lead us on a kind of reminiscence tour of discovery, giving us the opportunity to see these shrines. Maybe at the next MAL festival we could organize a side trip to NYC and visit all these spots. I'm kinda sentimental about these kinds of things myself, so I'd really enjoy it.