St. Petersburg/Tampa area gay scene beaches, nightlife suggestion PLEASE

tony
This topic is 1050 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My friend and I want to forego Europe this year due to current situation and are looking for a beach place (not Miami area) to vacation in late July or early August. Would appreciate any suggestions on place to stay, beach (nude or gay beaches?, night life, clubs or bars or place to have fun) as we don't know the area at all. Would like a hotel on or close to the beach and we can always drive to the gay night spots, if nearby, even better.

Also, if this area is "dead", though I doubt it, or not very gay friendly,please feel free to suggest other warm beach places in the USA, other than Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

Thank you for any ideas.

Hello,

I am familiar with the Tampa/St Pete area myself. I am not in Florida now, but I was there for a couple months back in early February thru March.

As far as I know: Treasure Island beach, and this I’m just noticing: the gay resort formerly known as Flamingo has shut down. I think that was prior to the pandemic, but I know there is a website that takes to a different site now:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-pinellas/st-petersburgs-flamingo-resort-is-closing-after-10-years

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewscripps.brightspotcdn.com%2F3d%2F92%2F1bee4b444344be482c1cade49322%2Fflamingo2.png

That said, there are still some other spots to venture to around downtown. My suggestion personally: if you can, try to spend a couple or few days in different Florida cities, and then try another. That way you get the full experience. Every Florida beach and city is different, and when people only see 1, they only get to see that 1 impression.

Siesta Key in Sarasota is a world famous beach spot, you may even get a better sunset because when I was there, the sun kept setting in the northwest, not the classic dew west over the water. But also no place I’m aware of on the west coast of Florida is going to be specifically gay or nude.

That’s why if time/transportation allows, you may want to get on the east coast up towards Titusville and check out Playalinda beach, which is a nude one on the Cape Canaveral shore. However the towns surrounding it can be a bit seedy and devoid of much gay activity, but if you already have a partner coming along, it may not be an issue.

The other option would be Orlando, like the Parliament House. But once you’re outside of downtown and the resorts, Orlando can get a bit touristy and family oriented. Whereas Saint Pete beach and Sarasota tend to cater to an older, mature crowd.

Also look into Key West....it’s more expensive, but completely different from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. And more gay oriented/catered than St. Pete/Tampa. Which from my opinion growing up there: has struggled to expand its gay community, as that area is home to conservative Bible thumpers, and a handful of intolerant types too. However, being along the beach...you generally get a mix of people from up north and overseas.

late July / early August.....in “normal” times Provincetown / Cape Cod, MA might have appeal.....for this summer though, the jury is still out....it’s unsure but some Covid restrictions might be lifted by around the 4th of July....folks are still needing to wait for some expected announcements with regard to this year’s “season”.....

Hello,

I am familiar with the Tampa/St Pete area myself. I am not in Florida now, but I was there for a couple months back in early February thru March.

As far as I know: Treasure Island beach, and this I’m just noticing: the gay resort formerly known as Flamingo has shut down. I think that was prior to the pandemic, but I know there is a website that takes to a different site now:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-pinellas/st-petersburgs-flamingo-resort-is-closing-after-10-years

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewscripps.brightspotcdn.com%2F3d%2F92%2F1bee4b444344be482c1cade49322%2Fflamingo2.png

That said, there are still some other spots to venture to around downtown. My suggestion personally: if you can, try to spend a couple or few days in different Florida cities, and then try another. That way you get the full experience. Every Florida beach and city is different, and when people only see 1, they only get to see that 1 impression.

Siesta Key in Sarasota is a world famous beach spot, you may even get a better sunset because when I was there, the sun kept setting in the northwest, not the classic dew west over the water. But also no place I’m aware of on the west coast of Florida is going to be specifically gay or nude.

That’s why if time/transportation allows, you may want to get on the east coast up towards Titusville and check out Playalinda beach, which is a nude one on the Cape Canaveral shore. However the towns surrounding it can be a bit seedy and devoid of much gay activity, but if you already have a partner coming along, it may not be an issue.

The other option would be Orlando, like the Parliament House. But once you’re outside of downtown and the resorts, Orlando can get a bit touristy and family oriented. Whereas Saint Pete beach and Sarasota tend to cater to an older, mature crowd.

Also look into Key West....it’s more expensive, but completely different from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. And more gay oriented/catered than St. Pete/Tampa. Which from my opinion growing up there: has struggled to expand its gay community, as that area is home to conservative Bible thumpers, and a handful of intolerant types too. However, being along the beach...you generally get a mix of people from up north and overseas.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and with such detailed information, I truly appreciate it and will take all of what you said into account when making our choice of where to to in Florida. I agree with you about Key West, though I have not been there in years, and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale I know very well. You REALLY know your stuff and again, thanks for sharing it with me.

late July / early August.....in “normal” times Provincetown / Cape Cod, MA might have appeal.....for this summer though, the jury is still out....it’s unsure but some Covid restrictions might be lifted by around the 4th of July....folks are still needing to wait for some expected announcements with regard to this year’s “season”.....

I appreciate your response and taking the time to do so. I've never been to Provincetown area but have heard only good things about it, my only concern is the beach waters are oh so cold! I am accustomed to warm waters for swimming and having fun, but my friend doesn't mind such cool water. Another one to consider, but only if I don't go into the water!

Thank you so much.

I appreciate your response and taking the time to do so. I've never been to Provincetown area but have heard only good things about it, my only concern is the beach waters are oh so cold! I am accustomed to warm waters for swimming and having fun, but my friend doesn't mind such cool water. Another one to consider, but only if I don't go into the water!

Thank you so much.

by late July / early August lots of variables go into knowing the water temps....summer weather definitely warms up the shallows....there are also differences between ocean side and bay side beaches.....(the wive’s tales say that bay side = warmer).....anyway, jump in, your bod will quickly adjust if needed....& the time in the water will be refreshing.....pick a spot with a hot tub nearby, if needed......staying away from P-town in the summertime on account of “water too cold” really doesn’t make much sense.....but if that’s how you feel, that’s really all that’s important....sending you warm wishes for safe travels.....

(I’m currently in Israel & will be vaca’ing in Eilat for the 1st week of July....on the Red Sea at the southern tip of the Negev desert.....that time of year the words “hot” & “boiling” can almost be interchangeable to describe the water temps there....84/85 F minimum)

by late July / early August lots of variables go into knowing the water temps....summer weather definitely warms up the shallows....there are also differences between ocean side and bay side beaches.....(the wive’s tales say that bay side = warmer).....anyway, jump in, your bod will quickly adjust if needed....& the time in the water will be refreshing.....pick a spot with a hot tub nearby, if needed......staying away from P-town in the summertime on account of “water too cold” really doesn’t make much sense.....but if that’s how you feel, that’s really all that’s important....sending you warm wishes for safe travels.....

(I’m currently in Israel & will be vaca’ing in Eilat for the 1st week of July....on the Red Sea at the southern tip of the Negev desert.....that time of year the words “hot” & “boiling” can almost be interchangeable to describe the water temps there....84/85 F minimum)

I don't mean to hijack the post by @tony, but do you know how the scuba/snorkeling is around Eilat? I hear its awesome at spots on the Sinai and the coast of Egypt, but haven't heard much of anything about the Eilat or Aqaba portions of the coast. Is there a place in Eilat you would recommend staying? Thanks!

Thank you for those sane words of advice. I know you're absolutely correct in that after one gets into the water, as in the Mediterranean, the body quickly becomes accustomed, until one gets out. :) Seriously, I see your point, and it is a valid one. I am a bit of a wuss.

I do love Israel, and that would be my first choice to go back to, maybe next year. Have fun and once again, thank you for taking the time to offer me advice. I would love to see P-town.

About an hour and a half west of Orlando is The Sawmill Resort which is a LGBT (somewhat clothing optional) camping resort.

I will google that and look it up, I have never heard of it. I am going with a friend, not a sexual partner, but we want to relax and have fun. Thanks for that suggestion.

Florida is fine, but are you willing to look at other, better beach cities, like in Mexico? Cancun, Playa and Vallarta are all fun. Vallarta is especially gay friendly with relaxing beaches, beautiful homes for rent and great nightlife.

Santa Monica/Malibu are also great while close to the nightlife of LA. Added bonus is the lack of sweltering heat.

Ptown is nice with a wide variety of ages. Their big parties this year are canceled, but a lot of the performers are still on schedule to do their thing.

Fire Island, not so much. Love their beaches and the general aesthetic, but people's attitude that drifts over from the city is what keeps me from going there more often.

Also, don't discount Colombia. Cartagena is beautiful, easy to get to from the States, inexpensive and gay friendly.

I have friends who have a permanent cabin at Sawgrass and they love it. My roommate/ex has been going to P-town in August for the past few years and it's one of his favorite gay destinations but it sounds like that's not going to happen this year due to COVID-19 but keep it in mind for next year. He did point out that while the big weekends are fun, like bear weekend, the bars can be very crowded and expensive. But if you go with a friend or group of friends it can be a great experience.

Ah Florida. My ex and I use to go every spring to Siesta Key with his co-worker/friend who's parents owned a condo across the street from the beach. It is one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to (side note I grew up in San Diego) and the town gives off a great beach vibe with a couple of bars and some good restaurants. Never had any trouble there but know there is no gay life there. On Sundays at sunset they have a large drum circle on the beach which is a lot of fun and there's lots of hot shirtless eye candy. There is a lot to explore up and down the coast. We fell in love with Ana Maria which is at the top of the keys that has a cool surf shop and burger hut right near the beach. South in Ospery there's a great beach with a large restaurant on the beach with a big deck that's fun to hang out on. Lots of good shopping in downtown Sarasota and at St. Armands circle on the key across from downtown. On that key is Lido beach which has a gay section north of the regular beach which was fun to visit. We use to fly in to Tampa and go to St. Petersburg for a few days for some gay nightlife. Stayed at the Flamingo a few times and before that there was this amazing complex called Suncoast. There also was a Georgie's Alibi that had some good food and two for one drinks at lunch! Sadly everything's gone now with the closing of Flamingo. But there is some good shopping in St. Pete and the Dali museum which is a must see.

Now for a curveball. You might want to check out Saugatuck, Michigan. Yep, a longtime destination for midwesterners is actually a pretty gay spot. It's on the west side of the state on lake Michigan and gets a lot of weekend visitors from Chicago. The beach there is really nice, the town is very cool and artsy with some good restaurants. The big gay draw is the Dunes Resort which is down the road in Douglas, which also has a cool little downtown. The Dunes has a nice pool that's open to the public so you get a lot of people there on summer weekends. They have a pool bar, inside bar, dance floor, a lounge with live performances, and a large outdoor pavilion that hosts an amazing Sunday tea dance. It's kinda like a small midwest version of P-town. There's also some cruisy woods behind the back building, or so I'm told.

Florida is fine, but are you willing to look at other, better beach cities, like in Mexico? Cancun, Playa and Vallarta are all fun. Vallarta is especially gay friendly with relaxing beaches, beautiful homes for rent and great nightlife.

Santa Monica/Malibu are also great while close to the nightlife of LA. Added bonus is the lack of sweltering heat.

Ptown is nice with a wide variety of ages. Their big parties this year are canceled, but a lot of the performers are still on schedule to do their thing.

Fire Island, not so much. Love their beaches and the general aesthetic, but people's attitude that drifts over from the city is what keeps me from going there more often.

Also, don't discount Colombia. Cartagena is beautiful, easy to get to from the States, inexpensive and gay friendly.

I love LA (not the cold beaches, but the area itself, San Diego also, beautiful cities and weather. I have been to the Mexican resorts, but this year the Covid virus situation is all that is keeping me from many regular places, especially in Europe. Mexico is being hit hard by it and am not sure how it will be by late July/August when we would be going. That's why I am choosing to stay close to home.

Cartagena is also great, very friendly people and nice beaches. Thank you for your suggestions.

I have friends who have a permanent cabin at Sawgrass and they love it. My roommate/ex has been going to P-town in August for the past few years and it's one of his favorite gay destinations but it sounds like that's not going to happen this year due to COVID-19 but keep it in mind for next year. He did point out that while the big weekends are fun, like bear weekend, the bars can be very crowded and expensive. But if you go with a friend or group of friends it can be a great experience.

Ah Florida. My ex and I use to go every spring to Siesta Key with his co-worker/friend who's parents owned a condo across the street from the beach. It is one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to (side note I grew up in San Diego) and the town gives off a great beach vibe with a couple of bars and some good restaurants. Never had any trouble there but know there is no gay life there. On Sundays at sunset they have a large drum circle on the beach which is a lot of fun and there's lots of hot shirtless eye candy. There is a lot to explore up and down the coast. We fell in love with Ana Maria which is at the top of the keys that has a cool surf shop and burger hut right near the beach. South in Ospery there's a great beach with a large restaurant on the beach with a big deck that's fun to hang out on. Lots of good shopping in downtown Sarasota and at St. Armands circle on the key across from downtown. On that key is Lido beach which has a gay section north of the regular beach which was fun to visit. We use to fly in to Tampa and go to St. Petersburg for a few days for some gay nightlife. Stayed at the Flamingo a few times and before that there was this amazing complex called Suncoast. There also was a Georgie's Alibi that had some good food and two for one drinks at lunch! Sadly everything's gone now with the closing of Flamingo. But there is some good shopping in St. Pete and the Dali museum which is a must see.

Now for a curveball. You might want to check out Saugatuck, Michigan. Yep, a longtime destination for midwesterners is actually a pretty gay spot. It's on the west side of the state on lake Michigan and gets a lot of weekend visitors from Chicago. The beach there is really nice, the town is very cool and artsy with some good restaurants. The big gay draw is the Dunes Resort which is down the road in Douglas, which also has a cool little downtown. The Dunes has a nice pool that's open to the public so you get a lot of people there on summer weekends. They have a pool bar, inside bar, dance floor, a lounge with live performances, and a large outdoor pavilion that hosts an amazing Sunday tea dance. It's kinda like a small midwest version of P-town. There's also some cruisy woods behind the back building, or so I'm told.

I goggled Sawgrass and it seems great, all excellent commentary.

As for Siesta Key, a friend suggested it just this past week, and like you said, not a gay destination, just laid back and beautiful beaches. I also grew up in a beach town, I will have to look into that more.

As for your curveball, Saugatuck, Michigan was quite a big one! Much more research needed there, I wouldn't even know how t fly there off the top of my head.

This covid-19 has thrown all my carefully planned vacation plans in the trash, I have not canceled anything yet, but am waiting to see what happens. Still have our 100% refundable tickets and hotel reservations to Barcelona but so worried about being so far and in a place so hard hit, but have a little over a month to figure out. Close to home just feels safer. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, THANK YOU for all your help, but my travel partner's travel plans have changed and now we will not be going to this area this year. I will, however, save this for possibly a future trip.

Please help me out with suggestions to our new chosen destination, Palm Springs, having never been there,.

Guys, THANK YOU for all your help, but my travel partner's travel plans have changed and now we will not be going to this area this year. I will, however, save this for possibly a future trip.

Please help me out with suggestions to our new chosen destination, Palm Springs, having never been there,.

• 4 months later...

I'm normally a Ft. Lauderdale frequent traveler but this spring and summer with both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale being locked down tight I took my European visitors to the "west coast" (of FL) a lot because it was never locked down. Now that Ft. Lauderdale's three famous strip/private dance clubs are reopen, I'll surely return there this winter but here's my observations on the fantastic Tampa Bay area:

The beaches are nicer than south Florida's, even Miami's best. They're often nothing short of perfect. The Gulf is crystal clear along most of the coast and from above you can see the bottom (or wade) to a good 1/4 mile out. The Gulf is often warmer than the Atlantic. Lastly, the sand on the beaches is ultra white and very tiny granules; something between fine grain sugar and flour. I've never seen sand like that before, anywhere.

There are "populated" cities and remote areas with different "vibes". Clearwater is the biggest area and the center of the huge beach resort hotels. It's beautiful and it's beaches are perfect but get crowded because Clearwater is the "local" weekend day beach for Tampa and much of central Florida. (Tampa and Orlando both have metro populations of 3 million each and Sarasota on the south side of the bay has almost 1 million). There are 2 or 3 gay bars in Clearwater that have the usual southern mix of types, including trade and sometimes dancers. St. Pete and Tampa have many more and bigger bars. (Clearwater and St. Pete have the #1 and #2 oldest populations in the US, which also brings a lot of young "hangers-on")..........like Ft Lauderdale.

On the south end of Clearwater is Sand Key which is much lower density and fewer singles. Beautiful suite hotels and a branch of the outstanding Columbia restaurant. On the north side of Clearwater is Dunedin with a great little hotel on the wharf and a "historic, artsy" vibe.

Over the Skyline bridge on the other side of Tampa Bay from St Pete/Clearwater is Sarasota, the arts center of Florida. The Ringling School of Art, the Ringling museum, and several other museums and art and music schools, including a fine opera house and a very good symphony. The Alsolo Theater was built in Italy in 1798 and rebuilt in Sarasota after WWII and it's season is managed by the Ringling. Downtown Sarasota on the waterfront has many fine restaurants and city-type parks and marinas. It has a very "classy" urban vibe. Across the little bridge toward the beach at Lido Key and Siesta Key is St. Armands Circle with upscale shops and restaurants, including a branch of the renowned Columbia restaurant. Lido Beach and Siesta Key are nice. The "trend" is further up on Anna Maria Island for the "old Florida". All we experienced there was Holmes Beach which was a great beach but zero people or things to do. The very north end of Anna Maria Island is a very expensive exclusive resort area with mostly mansions if you can find places to rent there and prefer solitude.

Sarasota/St. Pete/Clearwater are much less expensive than most of South Florida. Tampa Airport is far out in Tampa, huge and expensive, but Sarasota Airport and Clearwater/St Pete airport have very cheap fares on Allegiant (which is fine).

Before going I would check Rentmen for the availability of some of the more famous stars, many of whom choose to live in the area.

Anyway, with Ft Lauderdale back fully open, I'm sure I'll be weekending there more this winter but I'm going to try to work the FL West Coast in more. I know my European visitors like it better.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cveLfhn2RmAaH1iA7

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d7/7a/5a/d77a5aaa25da6e6904351ef3d8cacd0d.jpg

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/sponsored/2020/10/transforming-the-arts-in-our-community

https://1s9kmc1zi8ih113bns3udt1y-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Clearwater-Beach-Florida-965543248_727x484.jpeg

Edited by tassojunior

I would take issue with a couple of points in the preceding post. The warmest Ocean water to swim in during the winter months from New Years till Easter is on the Atlantic side of south Florida, and Miami in particular. This is because of the Atlantic Gulf Stream, which brushes the East Florida coast on its way from Cuba to Bermuda and beyond To Europe. And the beaches are gorgeous (As are the men who populate them).

Having lived in Miami Beach for 5 winters 2 decades ago, I could swim every day if I wanted to and it was delightful. I had friends on the West Coast and would visit a couple of times each winter. Very few people were in the water although they congregated on the beach. The water temperature was generally below 62 degrees and even more chilly sometimes.

The other point concerns culture. Miami had a vibrant cultural scene although my interests were mostly in the art scene, not music or theatre, and of course the gay scene which was very hot from Miami up to Ft. Lauderdale, all within an easy half hour drive.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

for combination of ease-to-get to, gay life, prices, water quality, eye candy etc i've started going to Clearwater a lot during the pandemic. unlike Miami/FTL there was never any lockdown and you'd never know there was a pandemic. the white sugar beach sand is amazing as is the crystal clear water for a mile out. it's almost always rated in the top 10 beaches in the world and usually #1 in America. there's an old gay bar in downtown Clearwater and one in Largo. of course there are several across the line in downtown St Pete. 

Sarasota also has a gay bar of sorts and is the arts center of Florida. Very upscale town. 

Both Clearwater and Sarasota have a Columbia Restaurant branch of the famous Tampa Cuban restaurant. 

If you live in an Allegiant Airlines city either Sarasota or Clearwater/St Pete is usually a $50 fare. 

spacer.png

Edited by tassojunior

I was in Tampa and St Pete/Clearwater last week.  It was...  Okay.

If you want to actually get away from throngs of people, you need to go south to Bradenton and Anna Maria Island.  THOSE are beautiful beach spots.

However, I can report that the new JW Marriott in Tampa is actually pretty damned nice.  They run a tight ship there too.