More interesting data regarding Covid

This topic is 1177 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You posted on an open forum, so don't be so touchy if someone you're not directly responding to comments negatively on a post. As far as the inevitability of quippy insults, you're letting yourself off the hook too easily. I don't suspect it was intentional, but some quippy insults are more insensitive than others and affect different people. There is some truth about your complaint re: "me culture", but there's also a tendency in these times of pervasive social media for people to say offensive things without thinking -- I'd say it's a coarsening of social discourse, casually posting offensive or insensitive items, and then verbally shrugging them off by accusing critics of being too PC or overly sensitive. Free speech isn't free in that one owns what one says, and words have consequences.

I wasn’t the one who posted it. So...

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are being trained to sniff out the presence of the virus in people. They can apparently pick up the scent from asymptotic people. Dogs like these can be a big help in places with lots of people like airports or public transport:

https://www.sciencetimes.com/amp/articles/25979/20200608/belgian-shepherds-tell-coronavirus-smelling-armpit.htm

Dogs are being trained to sniff out the presence of the virus in people. They can apparently pick up the scent from asymptotic people. Dogs like these can be a big help in places with lots of people like airports or public transport:

https://www.sciencetimes.com/amp/articles/25979/20200608/belgian-shepherds-tell-coronavirus-smelling-armpit.htm

If the length and viewership of the armpit string is any indication, we could probably get a number of volunteers from this forum to start training to sniff armpits! That would be a new twist: first stop at immigration, then, before you go to customs, go to the armpit-sniffing station.... :D

Edited by Unicorn

If the length and viewership of the armpit string is any indication, we could probably get a number of volunteers from this forum to start training to sniff armpits! That would be a new twist: first stop at immigration, then, before you go to customs, go to the armpit-sniffing station.... :D

Edited by Unicorn

If the length and viewership of the armpit string is any indication, we could probably get a number of volunteers from this forum to start training to sniff armpits! That would be a new twist: first stop an immigration, then, before you go to customs, go to the armpit-sniffing station.... :D

Probably a selection bias though

If the length and viewership of the armpit string is any indication, we could probably get a number of volunteers from this forum to start training to sniff armpits! That would be a new twist: first stop an immigration, then, before you go to customs, go to the armpit-sniffing station.... :D

Probably a selection bias though

Quippy insults always inevitably end up insulting someone unintended. Sorry you were offended but it wasn’t addressed at you. At some point we need to learn to deal with our offenses and have enough brains to differentiate that not everything is about us individually. The me-culture of this world is destroying us. We’re too damn self-referential about everything – good and bad.

I agree. The poster's response was clearly aimed at the sociopathic POTUS. Nothing wrong with mentioning one's feelings or experience with agent orange, but anyone who takes personal offense at this is simply taking offense where clearly none was meant.

Quippy insults always inevitably end up insulting someone unintended. Sorry you were offended but it wasn’t addressed at you. At some point we need to learn to deal with our offenses and have enough brains to differentiate that not everything is about us individually. The me-culture of this world is destroying us. We’re too damn self-referential about everything – good and bad.

I agree. The poster's response was clearly aimed at the sociopathic POTUS. Nothing wrong with mentioning one's feelings or experience with agent orange, but anyone who takes personal offense at this is simply taking offense where clearly none was meant.

Wouldn't flyers who use deodorants be a problem?

Wouldn't flyers who use deodorants be a problem?

I'm working on my German Shepherd impersonation.

I'm working on my German Shepherd impersonation.

New research looking at a possible mutation with the virus that allows it spread more efficiently. Must be July.

We had seven new cases today. Two people are still in ICU. Economy 65% open. Potential virus spread from the re-opening of K-12 schools seems to have been managed well, with no new outbreaks. Elective surgeries are all being scheduled, back at the pre-shut down levels.