Why not a nude Male Strip Club in LA?

Bayareabomber38
This topic is 874 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Watching the excellent Circus of Books documentary on Netflix (highly recommended BTW), I thought it would have been nice if we had a cool male strip club there instead of that ChiChi LaRue place. I don't know if there's ever been a venture like this. While there is the obvious problem with not being able to serve alcohol, I think attendance and interest should be tremendous. The closest equivalents would be Oregon or Arizona so the market would be pretty exclusive. Even a place in the valley would be great.

I'm obviously not the first person to wonder this, but what are the other challenges? I've been to a couple of all nude female strip bars on the Westside and really wish there were more options for us. I've been to Adonis a few times and it's great but sometimes you just want to see dick and not wait until two Saturdays from now. I also think many are not familiar with the addicting quality of the clubs, as anyone who's visited Stock can attest to.

So what say you? Do we have to wait for a gay guy to hit Powerball in order to get a business like this?

I presume it's some combination of zoning laws, license fees, daily management/staffing logistics and headaches, rental/leasing costs, low income potential (no liquor sold), and maybe even just the fact that seeing naked guys isn't such a big deal anymore......and SoCal is the more conservative part of the state.....there's also more of a bros' night out atmosphere at the female clubs (often several guys in one "party") whereas the male strip clubs are often just one or two people per "party"......

yeah, I'd love one, too.......don't know how Stock does it......

Has there ever been any Stock-type clubs in LA? I think if anything, seeing naked guys dancing is a pretty big deal to those who are only used to seeing them in thongs. I know some of the straight totally nude strip clubs have separate bars next to strip clubs so they can get additional income and some even sell food. I remember that Prague strip clubs serve steak dinners. After seeing the real thing, covered dancers don't do it for me anymore.

But I agree that the various challenges might prohibit this but we can always dream. The calibre of guys available would be off the charts.

I recall reading something long ago about CA restrictions resulting from where the entertainment license overlaps the liquor license. Nob Hill (RIP ?) in SF never served liquor.

Also there are local ordinances that specify which articles of clothing (e.g. socks no, jocks yes) prevent ‘total nudity’

In a basic thong women are considered “not nude”. You as a patron can still get quite an eyeful depending on their talent! I guess that translates into longer patron time, higher tips, booze revenue, etc. It’s not the same with the male anatomy, as we see unclothed men and their randomly-filled pouches all over the various media in our daily lives. We (I?) get turned on (and may be willing to spend) by being allowed a real chance to distinguish the meat from the potatoes, and to watch how they move in real time, and appreciate the extra exhibitionism it all takes! I have seen videos of women only clubs where there’s lots of big bare wiener and (vigorous!!) simulated sex with patrons on stage. Likely in a region which would close, or torch, an identical establishment with a male audience. Just sayin...

Ah, Gaiety, would that ye franchised in TinselTown back in the day

The other reason I mentioned the now defunct WeHo Circus of Books is because just a few blocks south is Synn Gentleman's Club and a few blocks north is the famous Body Shop. Both are totally nude and Body Shop has been going, it seems, forever. If it's money laundering or whatever, the all nude clubs are the most popular, even without liquor.

I think AZDR had a very valid point in that straight guys do go to these clubs in groups, and the singles fill out the crowd, which historically has been the reverse of gay bargoing. But could the very real novelty and excitement draw those singles out in record numbers? Could a $20 admission, $7 Cokes and $10 buckets of popcorn be too steep to see gorgeous men wagging their dicks in your face? $20 for a lap dance for one song adds up quickly. Maybe it's best for us Angelenos that it remains elusive.

Watching the excellent Circus of Books documentary on Netflix (highly recommended BTW), I thought it would have been nice if we had a cool male strip club there instead of that ChiChi LaRue place. I don't know if there's ever been a venture like this. While there is the obvious problem with not being able to serve alcohol, I think attendance and interest should be tremendous. The closest equivalents would be Oregon or Arizona so the market would be pretty exclusive. Even a place in the valley would be great.

I'm obviously not the first person to wonder this, but what are the other challenges? I've been to a couple of all nude female strip bars on the Westside and really wish there were more options for us. I've been to Adonis a few times and it's great but sometimes you just want to see dick and not wait until two Saturdays from now. I also think many are not familiar with the addicting quality of the clubs, as anyone who's visited Stock can attest to.

So what say you? Do we have to wait for a gay guy to hit Powerball in order to get a business like this?

What is the ChiChi LaRue place?

Chi Chi's new place is not a strip club, it's a Disneyfied version of the old Circus of Books. I only used that as an example because I thought it would have been a nice place for a cool strip club, also right next door to the Gold Coast bar.

Someone also brought up the fact that there are new laws for strippers in California making them employees rather than independent contractors. It hasn't hurt the straight stripper clubs necessarily but it is one more reason to not try an all male club.

Edited by Bayareabomber38

The same law has caused huge problems for musical groups as well; for all but the largest and most stable organizaitons

(e.g. symphony-ballet-opera orchestras on the scale of SF or LA, large touring shows with long stays), musicians hadery been

employed as independent contractors, and now must be employees, and for other than non-profits, that invokes a large payroll

tax on top everything else - raising the cost of hiring by 30%, and even for non-profits, it's more like 15%.

Many small or experimental groups skating by on razor thin margins abruptly cancelled or suspended their seaons, and

even community theatre groups stopped hiring small live orchestras in favor of a single keyboard player or recordings.

There is an amendedment to the bill (called AB5) for bands that play their own music, and truly are collaborative, but that

doesn't include theater bands.

• 1 year later...

And the last LA bar/club to even come close to allowing slight nudity closed back in 2020.  The Jimmy Z shows broke some new ground with his bodybuilder stripper shows. Luckily, I got to work one of them and attended two as a guest. 

It's hard to think that Jimmy Z has passed. He was a really kind and funny guy. I did like going with him and other guys after the shows out for breakfast at 2-4 am in the morning. Always learned a lot from other guys - some good information. 

I would think the logical place to be converted into a nude strip club (if it were allowed) would be the Studs Theater (formerly Pussycat Theater), a few blocks away from Chi Chi's on Santa Monica Blvd.  It has/had the potential be be like the Nob Hill Theater.

With my affinity for male strippers (nude and scantily clothed versions), I’ve asked this question about LA from many people. Folks who seem to have looked into the actual possibility seem to always come back with the local (city and county - not state) ordinances that are basically still Herero-normative and so the liquor laws allow for female nudity but prohibit male nudity. Yep, hard to believe, but basically LA City and COunty are till homophobic pricks who cow-tow to the more conservative factions of the Herero crowd that run politics in the city/county/

However, I still love Adonis and what they’re trying to do with the his once-a-month bonanza and then weekly entertainment that can literally be as naughty as you want to make it (at least, that’s been my experience). I have to say, short of an outright blowjob, I’ve pretty much been pleased with my dancer/client interaction!