Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1512 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The federal governments in both our countries appear to be reluctant to act, despite the warning of the path of disease progression that happened in other countries after they hit 100 cases. (Apparently that is a statistically relevant point, and the size of the overall population is not relevant.) Messages here have been mixed for no apparent reason, but the so-called National Cabinet and the committee of chief health officers seem to erring on the side of waiting rather than be seen to have acted precipitately. At the moment the states and the federal government are acting on consensus and not taking different approaches. There are prominent voices in the media that are urging faster action. Two that come to mind are an expert who was instrumental in the response to HIV/AIDS in the 1980s, and a physician who is an ABC medical presenter, Norman Swan. He's the guy in the four minute video I posted earlier. The government seems to have only one eye on the developing health crisis while the other one is on the economy.

In the US there seems to be much more action by state and local governments that are going ahead of the otherwise prevailing wisdom of what to do. I don't know whether this will result in a complete shut-down, but it looks to me as if the apparent ad hoc-ery of this differing approaches in different jurisdictions may obviate the need for nation-wide restrictions in the US. Here, I suspect there will be a more unified, but by definition less agile response.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The federal governments in both our countries appear to be reluctant to act, despite the warning of the path of disease progression that happened in other countries after they hit 100 cases. (Apparently that is a statistically relevant point, and the size of the overall population is not relevant.) Messages here have been mixed for no apparent reason, but the so-called National Cabinet and the committee of chief health officers seem to erring on the side of waiting rather than be seen to have acted precipitately. At the moment the states and the federal government are acting on consensus and not taking different approaches. There are prominent voices in the media that are urging faster action. Two that come to mind are an expert who was instrumental in the response to HIV/AIDS in the 1980s, and a physician who is an ABC medical presenter, Norman Swan. He's the guy in the four minute video I posted earlier. The government seems to have only one eye on the developing health crisis while the other one is on the economy.

In the US there seems to be much more action by state and local governments that are going ahead of the otherwise prevailing wisdom of what to do. I don't know whether this will result in a complete shut-down, but it looks to me as if the apparent ad hoc-ery of this differing approaches in different jurisdictions may obviate the need for nation-wide restrictions in the US. Here, I suspect there will be a more unified, but by definition less agile response.

Your comments certainly have merit. I do believe that is it important to keep both the long term strategic picture (this is where the economy comes in) and the short term tactical picture in mind (the current virus related actions).

Le Canada a fermé ses frontières, sauf pour les citoyens canadiens et certains autres, dont les Américains.

Canada has closed its frontiers except for Canadian citizens, and some others including Americans.

[MEDIA=twitter]1239610526486970368[/MEDIA]

Le Canada a fermé ses frontières, sauf pour les citoyens canadiens et certains autres, dont les Américains.

Canada has closed its frontiers except for Canadian citizens, and some others including Americans.

Wait.. @RealAvalon ....cancel our dinner date!

The Canadian/USA border closing would have HUGE economic impacts, even in the short term. The economic argument won over the health argument. But, other than that, this is mostly a public health driven decision

The Canadian/USA border closing would have HUGE economic impacts, even in the short term. The economic argument won over the health argument. But, other than that, this is mostly a public health driven decision

I haven’t lived in Detroit for decades, but I recall then, many crossed the border twice a day, to and from their regular job in the country across the river. My father’s cousin who lived in Canada would sometimes stop by the house on her lunch hour. I also worked with a woman who lived in Canada.

Edited by bashful

Oh crap... It's hitting home now...

• The San Francisco Bay Area will be directed to "shelter in place" at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday until April 7 in an attempt to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
  • The order will require residents to remain indoors except for essential travel, like going to get groceries.
  • The shelter-in-place order is different from a full lockdown, which would prohibit people from leaving their homes without government permission.

Are there any special provisions being made to shelter the homeless ?

gettyimages-489714914.jpg?resize=1500,1000

At the federal level? In a word, no. Are you kidding? We don't even really have a plan for the people who live in nice houses and are standing in long lines in airports. It's probably now just a matter of time until those people are told to not go to an airport, because they can't fly anywhere anyway.

Bernie talked about the homeless at the debate. My guess is at the local and state level - New York, San Francisco, California - there is planning going on. They are obviously sitting ducks.

SF Bay Area counties require nearly 7M residents to stay home

Vital businesses like grocery stores, banks and pharmacies will remain open, San Francisco Mayor London Breed said, and indispensable government services will continue. While bars were slated to close at midnight, restaurants will still fill takeout orders.

“These measures will be disruptive to day-to-day life but there is no need to panic,” Breed said at a Monday press conference. “Your garbage will be picked up, police officers will be out there on the front line.”

My assumption is that includes services for the homeless, from shelter to food.

The sad thought is what happens if we get to the point where triage decisions are being made in ICU's in San Francisco. If the homeless even manage to get to the ICU, they will be the last ones to be treated, is my guess.

Surgeon general trumpets coronavirus efforts but warns ‘we are not an authoritarian nation’

GettyImages-917932438.jpg

“A lot of our public health authority lies in the state and local level, and I have worked for a local health department and a state health department,” Adams continued. “And what we’re seeing now is that these state and local health departments are saying, ‘Give us guidance. Give us more cover. We want you to come in and tell us what we should be doing to protect ourselves.’”

“People, we are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers, and we have a choice to make as a nation: Do we want to go the direction of South Korea, and really be aggressive and lower our mortality rates, or do we want to go the direction of Italy?” Adams said.

giphy.gif

I like this guy. A lot. I suspect he will emerge as one of the voices of calm and reason, and a hero of this crisis. The facts, the facts, and only the facts.

The fact that he poses it as a question, rather than an order, is pitch perfect.

The biggest emergency is the toilet paper shortage! I can't believe the local Target was almost out of toilet paper and of course that got me spooked and I loaded up on the remaining rolls along with other last minute shoppers!

Why the resistance to bidet toilet seats? The nice ones are $200 and Home Depot has one self-install unheated for $59. Otherwise isn't that what the handheld in the shower is for?

Shouldn't a "leader" address this important issue?

I work for NY State government and we just got sent home for two weeks to telecommute. I also work part time at Home Depot. There’s no toilet paper, paper towels, Lysol, bleach or anything else that can be used. No bleach anymore.

at least I have a job

My husband will probably be laid off shortly. I feel for all the restaurants that are closing and laying off people.

Hope things get better soon but I don’t think it will. Neighbor works for Regeneron. I told him to bring home some vaccine. Haha

Our governor wanted to postpone tomorrow's voting day to June but it was denied by a judge. It makes a lot of sense seeing they want people to stay home, especially those over 65 and most poll workers are retired people who should't be around large crowds.

I went to Costco and Kroger tonight to stock up and will be only shopping for at least a week. Neither store was as busy as I thought they would be. Only thing I wasn't able to buy was an onion or can of tomato paste to make tomato soup so no soup for me this week. I needed bleach and they had a couple of the small bottles of clorox left. At Costco the only thing they were out of was rostaisairre chickens. Costco had a whiteboard up at the entrance stating what they were out of and I know bleach, TP, paper towels and clorox wipes were lsted.

At times like these there are always assholes who attempt to rip people off and make money at others expense. HOWEVER, there are also those individuals and businesses who go the extra distance to help others. Here in Southern California we have a local family owned Mexican supermarket chain by the name of Gonzalez Northgate. These markets normally open at 8 a.m. but are currently opening a half hour early for senior citizens 65+ with photo I.D. They have their own security personnel at the doors to enforce the policy. It is reassuring to learn that in these difficult times some businesses are doing something very nice. I commend and strongly recommend Gonzales Northgate to all of you who live in areas where these markets are located.

At times like these there are always assholes who attempt to rip people off and make money at others expense. HOWEVER, there are also those individuals and businesses who go the extra distance to help others. Here in Southern California we have a local family owned Mexican supermarket chain by the name of Gonzalez Northgate. These markets normally open at 8 a.m. but are currently opening a half hour early for senior citizens 65+ with photo I.D. They have their own security personnel at the doors to enforce the policy. It is reassuring to learn that in these difficult times some businesses are doing something very nice. I commend and strongly recommend Gonzales Northgate to all of you who live in areas where these markets are located.

They are a wonderful chain owned by a wonderful and caring family.

I haven’t lived in Detroit for decades, but I recall then, many crossed the border twice a day, to and from their regular job in the country across the river. My father’s cousin who lived in Canada would sometimes stop by the house on her lunch hour. I also worked with a woman who lived in Canada.

Who owns the Ambassador Bridge?

Manuel Moroun. Manuel Moroun (born June 5, 1927) is an American billionaire businessman, and the owner of CenTra, Inc, which controls the Ambassador Bridge, the international crossing connecting Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario, the only privately owned border crossing between the US and Canada. It Is The Busiest International Bridge Crossing Between The US and Canada

It's wonderful to hear this kind of story about fellow Latino citizens. Happy to learn about the goodness that is in all of us...!