ItalainoXL

mikefl81
This topic is 1554 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have no experience with him but he looks more Latino than Italian to me.

His RM profile says he speaks English, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was only partly Italian. There is a significant number of Italians who emigrated to South America.

Whatever he is, sign me up.

His RM profile says he speaks English, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was only partly Italian. There is a significant number of Italians who emigrated to South America.

Whatever he is, sign me up.

There are many Italians who went to South America, some because in the late 1800s, early 1900s the United States denied entry to Italians (particularly southern Italians who sought entry into the U.S.) Many Italians or their families ended up in Argentine, e.g., the Pope's family. I have cousins that are in Buenos Aires, which gives that city a very Italian flavor. Fernando is not an Italian name, however that is probably not his real name and even if it were there is nothing to say that he could not be Italian.

There are many Italians who went to South America, some because in the late 1800s, early 1900s the United States denied entry to Italians (particularly southern Italians who sought entry into the U.S.) Many Italians or their families ended up in Argentine, e.g., the Pope's family. I have cousins that are in Buenos Aires, which gives that city a very Italian flavor. Fernando is not an Italian name, however that is probably not his real name and even if it were there is nothing to say that he could not be Italian.

Exactly. My family is 100% Italian. I’m second generation American and remember the stories my grandparents told about their arrival at Ellis Island. There’s also a good number who made their way to Australia and Canada.

My grandparents in very early decades of the 1900s. 3 of the 4 were from the south and my one grandfather was from the north. If you look on the books listing their entry at Ellis Island you will see that there is an (S) listed next to those from the south and my grandfather from near Bologna has an (N) next to his name. At some point the officials began to differentiate those arriving from the south and those from the north. The Italians from the north were considered culturally superior from those of the south. In fact, in many families if your descendants were mixed (e.g., a mixture of Bolognese and Calabrese) and which part of Italy you were from you would always state you were from the northernmost spot. It would supposedly illustrate how superior you were.

Italy is still that way, the northerners look down on the southerners! Still, these days the Italians are popular all over the world. Everyone loves the food and the fashion and the people are the friendliest of all Europe. Now back to the task at hand. ItalianoXL looks like a great guy....who can confirm that. I'll ne in DC in March, maybe I'll have some time.

An Italian who can't spell Italiano!

Apart from a missing accent, his Italian at the end of his "presentation" is actually correct, but who knows if it's actually him who wrote that.

In Italy there are actually abut 60,000 men named Fernando, but it is not a popular name. It is quite popular in Spain and Latin America.

At the end it is not really THAT important where exactly he was born. He looks HOT.

My grandparents in very early decades of the 1900s. 3 of the 4 were from the south and my one grandfather was from the north. If you look on the books listing their entry at Ellis Island you will see that there is an (S) listed next to those from the south and my grandfather from near Bologna has an (N) next to his name. At some point the officials began to differentiate those arriving from the south and those from the north. The Italians from the north were considered culturally superior from those of the south. In fact, in many families if your descendants were mixed (e.g., a mixture of Bolognese and Calabrese) and which part of Italy you were from you would always state you were from the northernmost spot. It would supposedly illustrate how superior you were.

Ellis Island records can be a revelation. One of my grandfathers always claimed to have been born in the U.S., but he's listed as immigrating at at 12 along with his father. The same grandfather always claimed his family was from Germany, although the particular region went back and forth between Germany and Poland and was more often part of Poland than part of Germany.

Yup, so much so that 'spaghetti bolognese' has been called our national dish. Blatant cultural appropriation, and any resemblance it might have to any Italian cuisine is purely coincidental.

When I lived in England in the 1970s, it was a culinary desert, where the only "Italian" cuisine one could usually find was "spaghetti bolognese."

...The same grandfather always claimed his family was from Germany, although the particular region went back and forth between Germany and Poland and was more often part of Poland than part of Germany.

You will most definitely appreciate this:

My dad claimed his family was from Germany, despite both his mother's and father's families having Polish surnames. My mother's family claimed they were from Poland. Except for her father (who was from Warsaw), they had German surnames. Both families (my maternal grandfather being the exception) came from the same region and it moved back and forth between Germany and Poland. Mostly Poland.

Mystery solved: he’s Brazilian. Review pending but feel free to PM me.

He could also be a Brazilian of Italian heritage. Plenty of Brazilians will claim all sorts of European ancestry, even if they don't have much hard evidence to back it up (no pun intended). It's probably not all that different from many Americans whose families have always believed to have hailed from one part of the world, only to later discover otherwise.

That being said, this guy certainly looks like he could pass for being of Mediterranean stock. It's an interesting academic question, but the bottom line is (at least as portrayed in the ad) the guy's pretty darn attractive. Perhaps @mikefl81's review will shed some light on the situation. I hope it was a positive experience.