The spread of the Chinese coronavirus

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 822 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It may be wise to refrain from hiring until this passes.

Interesting you’re mentioning that. I was thinking the same thing with regards to strippers. I think I’ll wait a few weeks till I even think about going to any stripclub cities. I’ll be looking for the following:

1. Seeing if the Chinese new infection rates level-off or start to drop (this assumes we can trust the figures we see from China...which is questionable).

2. For the cases outside of China, seeing if there are any instances of locally-transmitted infections of individuals that never went to China or even Asia.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about wide spread panic?

widespread-panic-dc-st-pats-2019-email-new-600.jpg

Waxing political here, Dotard's Pentagon said no injuries to our soldiers from Iraq attack. Then we find out it's 11, then 34, then 50 traumatic brain injuries. And then Trump described TBI as a headache.

Which makes me wonder if the CDC is being forthright. Three U.S. cases confirmed on Sunday alone but not a single one since then? Is the total number of known confirmed cases in the U.S. still only 5? Or are they painting a deceptively rosy picture to keep the markets up and prevent widespread panic?

How about wide spread panic?

widespread-panic-dc-st-pats-2019-email-new-600.jpg

Waxing political here, Dotard's Pentagon said no injuries to our soldiers from Iraq attack. Then we find out it's 11, then 34, then 50 traumatic brain injuries. And then Trump described TBI as a headache.

Which makes me wonder if the CDC is being forthright. Three U.S. cases confirmed on Sunday alone but not a single one since then? Is the total number of known confirmed cases in the U.S. still only 5? Or are they painting a deceptively rosy picture to keep the markets up and prevent widespread panic?

I don't want to speak on conspiracy or fake news sentiments but....

After a first hand account where I was inside a courthouse when the sheriff's had to open fire on an attacker with a knife, all the news outlets reported on facts that did not happen exactly as they said. I take any news with at least a 1% grain of salt until other information comes forth. I don't know how long it would take to confirm a case of infection, but I would bet to say that there are at least several suspected cases but only reported once confirmed.

I don't want to speak on conspiracy or fake news sentiments but....

After a first hand account where I was inside a courthouse when the sheriff's had to open fire on an attacker with a knife, all the news outlets reported on facts that did not happen exactly as they said. I take any news with at least a 1% grain of salt until other information comes forth. I don't know how long it would take to confirm a case of infection, but I would bet to say that there are at least several suspected cases but only reported once confirmed.

That's a telling observation. For all the commentary about the coronavirus, it has yet to be established that it is more dangerous than seasonal influenza. It may well prove to be, but we don't know yet.

The big, big difference is that there's a vaccine for the flu, not this coronavirus. I've never heard of anyone receiving the flu vaccine who's later died of the flu. Yes, influenza can be deadly, but people who die from influenza, almost always, have chosen to put themselves in danger. With this novel coronavirus, we don't have a choice.

The big, big difference is that there's a vaccine for the flu, not this coronavirus. I've never heard of anyone receiving the flu vaccine who's later died of the flu. Yes, influenza can be deadly, but people who die from influenza, almost always, have chosen to put themselves in danger. With this novel coronavirus, we don't have a choice.

You do remember that the flu occasionally mutates and presents itself in a pandemic form no one has a vaccine for or immunity to?

[MEDIA=twitter]1223362098425626624[/MEDIA]

Speaking of pandemic flu:

[MEDIA=twitter]1223364609035395072[/MEDIA]

Had breakfast this morning with a friend who works at the US embassy in Beijing. He had traveled back to DC at the beginning of January and was scheduled to return to China today. That return was placed on indefinite hold. He has now been assigned the task of working to assist diplomatic colleagues who are being evacuated. The first group arrives tomorrow.

According to him the situation is much worse than the Chinese are willing to admit. The local authorities botched the initial response and the central government is scrambling to contain the outbreak. Publicly China has rejected assistance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The claim was “we got this” and no assistance was needed. Apparently, in the last 24 hours a request for some level of assistance was made through other channels. What type of assistance is not clear. There’s a face saving issue here for the Chinese and our help is not going to be made into a big deal. It might never even be acknowledged depending on how the situation evolves in coming weeks.

OK now just know I that I am not sure how much stock I put in Psychics but have been watching a few on Youtube during this Trump debacle. According to the few I have seen do readings on the corona virus they have said it will be devastating to the Chinese people but will be cured before it becomes widespread. Now that is something to be taken with a whole salt lick if you don't believe in tarot, intuitive and the like. That being said that little Golum like troll Wilbur Ross says it will be good for the American Economy. That about sums up the empathy that is the entire Trump administration. What an F'ing ghoul

With the CoronaVirus, 20% to 25% of the cases are severe requiring hospitalization at a high level of care and isolation procedures. Now... THAT is where the problem lies.

By sheer numbers this virus overwhelms the medical resources available to treat patients. The hospitals in Wuhan, a MAJOR metropolitan area, are already overrun with less than 2,500 reported cases. Do NOT take this virus lightly by comparing the death rate to other illnesses. What happened in Wuhan could happen in ANY American city.

A friend serves with a local emergency management agency. He has seen the plan to place social distancing... polite way of saying a quarantine...Into American cities of all sizes.

There is a lot of interesting "meat" in here if one is interested...no doubt more can be found in specific state legislative logs. Glad we have a house in the deep country for some day. I do believe we ( the US) have acted timely and rationally with this episode and it will not be terrible for the US, but someday.......the planning infrastructure (CDC & DoHs) may be too diminished to react well. We'd best make our choices well.

https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/social_distancing.html

Here’s some data on how the coronavirus compares to other outbreaks in the last 20 years.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) (2012)

It took 903 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, MERS killed 17 people.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) (2003)

It took 130 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, SARS killed 5 people.

Novel Coronavirus (2019-2020)

It took 48 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, the virus has killed 1 person.

source New York Post

IMO, I’m not sure I believe the 48 day infection spread. The level of response by the Chinese government indicates to me that a lot more than 1,000 people were infected in 48 days.

Here’s some data on how the coronavirus compares to other outbreaks in the last 20 years.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) (2012)

It took 903 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, MERS killed 17 people.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) (2003)

It took 130 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, SARS killed 5 people.

Novel Coronavirus (2019-2020)

It took 48 days for the first 1,000 people to be infected.

For every 50 people infected, the virus has killed 1 person.

source New York Post

IMO, I’m not sure I believe the 48 day infection spread. The level of response by the Chinese government indicates to me that a lot more than 1,000 people were infected in 48 days.

With the CoronaVirus, 20% to 25% of the cases are severe requiring hospitalization at a high level of care and isolation procedures. Now... THAT is where the problem lies.

By sheer numbers this virus overwhelms the medical resources available to treat patients. The hospitals in Wuhan, a MAJOR metropolitan area, are already overrun with less than 2,500 reported cases. Do NOT take this virus lightly by comparing the death rate to other illnesses. What happened in Wuhan could happen in ANY American city.

A friend serves with a local emergency management agency. He has seen the plan to place social distancing... polite way of saying a quarantine...Into American cities of all sizes.

The huge outbreak is pretty much confined to China, which boggled the initial response (including hauling doctors trying to sound the alarm up on charges). There has been one death outside of China so far, in the Philippines, and there are countries with patients who have recovered after antiviral treatment. One patient was discharged from the hospital in Toronto. A Korean patient who caught the virus in Wuhan is no longer showing evidence of the virus and authorities are considering whether he can be discharged. And a Thai doctor reported a 48-hour turnaround in a patient treated with anti-flu and anti-AIDS/HIV medications.

http://mengnews.joins.com/amparticle/3073332?__twitter_impression=true

(The Thai patient is from something I saw on Twitter and didn't save; everything else is referenced in the linked story.)