Biggest Isn't Always the Best

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 1643 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yes, sometimes more is better, but today I was really frustrated.

On my grocery list was toilet paper. I usually buy one package when I take out the second to last roll of the package for each bathroom. While I have a preferred branch, I'll buy any two-ply toilet paper of any brand, and due to space available in my under sink cabinets, I prefer to buy a six-pack which will fit without removing any rolls from the original package.

Well, that wasn't happening today. Not only was the smallest quantity of rolls in a package twelve, but they only have "Mega" rolls. (The packaging claims that the Mega rolls have four times the sheets of a standard roll of toilet paper.) These darn Mega rolls do not fit on the toilet paper holder in my master bathroom, so I either need to have the roll on the back of the toilet until I've used enough that it will fit in the holder (which I'll likely knock off and have to reach around the commode to find it tomorrow morning), or remove enough squares to make it fit.

Enough for my pet peeve - Anyone else have something that has had jumbo sized that doesn't work for them?

Yes, sometimes more is better, but today I was really frustrated.

On my grocery list was toilet paper. I usually buy one package when I take out the second to last roll of the package for each bathroom. While I have a preferred branch, I'll buy any two-ply toilet paper of any brand, and due to space available in my under sink cabinets, I prefer to buy a six-pack which will fit without removing any rolls from the original package.

Well, that wasn't happening today. Not only was the smallest quantity of rolls in a package twelve, but they only have "Mega" rolls. (The packaging claims that the Mega rolls have four times the sheets of a standard roll of toilet paper.) These darn Mega rolls do not fit on the toilet paper holder in my master bathroom, so I either need to have the roll on the back of the toilet until I've used enough that it will fit in the holder (which I'll likely knock off and have to reach around the commode to find it tomorrow morning), or remove enough squares to make it fit.

Enough for my pet peeve - Anyone else have something that has had jumbo sized that doesn't work for them?

Although I am fascinated by large cocks 9+ inches and am in awe of 10 inches, in reality I enjoy normal size ones best. Maybe that’s TMI or not appropriate for this thread...

On a non-cock related example, the giant hot dog packets also don’t work for me. You end up having to freeze them and unless you’re having a party there is no way to eat through the packet before they seem to go off if you are single person.

I buy quantity packs, but rarely megapacks, in an effort to match convenience to storage space. Even with backup storage in my garage, TP in >12 packs are rarely worth it. Same with paper towels.

Condiments in mega-size aren't worthy of the refrigerator space once opened. Most food items arent worth purchasing in bulk for a single person household.

Exceptions: I buy vitamins and OTC medications in bigger Costco containers, and the bigger tubs of protein powder.

Buying in bulk has never worked out for me - I don't have the storage space and usually end up with too much of items I don't need all that much of. Another pet peeve of mine is portion size here in the USA - most portions are simply too large for me; I feel bad for not "cleaning my plate" but I have gotten over it. Do yourself a favor - walk over to your fridge/pantry and look over the "suggested portion size" on the back of the containers - you may be surprised to find that an item you think of as "one sitting" actually represents 2 or 3 portion sizes.... :oops:

dont-bite-off-more-than-you-can-chew-quote-1.jpg

Buying in bulk has never worked out for me - I don't have the storage space and usually end up with too much of items I don't need all that much of. Another pet peeve of mine is portion size here in the USA - most portions are simply too large for me; I feel bad for not "cleaning my plate" but I have gotten over it. Do yourself a favor - walk over to your fridge/pantry and look over the "suggested portion size" on the back of the containers - you may be surprised to find that an item you think of as "one sitting" actually represents 2 or 3 portion sizes.... :oops:

dont-bite-off-more-than-you-can-chew-quote-1.jpg

I definitely notice this when I go to Europe. The first day I feel that there isn’t enough food but when I come back to the US the portions seem huge...

I definitely notice this when I go to Europe. The first day I feel that there isn’t enough food but when I come back to the US the portions seem huge...

As a Canadian who sometimes travels to the states, we definitely notice a larger portion size in the states then we are used to in Canada. I have no qualms about leaving a portion of it on my plate.

Oh the horrors of first-world problems!!!

Not so fast.

Someone who falls into the category of "low-to-moderate" (LMI) income likely can't afford to buy the mega-size. However, when that is the only size available they have to go without something else to pay for the ginormous size.

The reason I have never belonged to Costco is because most food products there come in sizes that are too large for two people to use up. I only go there if we are throwing a big party, and then I go with a friend who is a member.

Portions at most restaurants in the US are often too big to eat at one sitting. Our favorite restaurant for lunch serves sandwiches that are so big that we always eat only half, and take half of the meal home for lunch the next day.