Alam Wernik in dc

José Soplanucas
This topic is 1413 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw this sad message on Twitter this evening.

[MEDIA=twitter]1273059716101365760[/MEDIA]

You mean to tell me you got over $40,000 stolen and the best you can do is say "you're kind of sad and annoyed" and then you photo shop butterflies under your eyes.

He must be related to Susan Collins. Lol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The empathy on this forum sometimes is underwhelming

I agree. Making flippant remarks about someone's misfortune is not an admirable trait. From what I read, Alam is a hardworking, pleasant, and honest young man who provides services that should be, it seems to me, a valued commodity especially by members of THIS site. Keeping large amounts of money in one's home is not a particularly smart move, but perhaps there are personal and cultural reasons for doing so, none of which are anybody's business but his. Whatever the reason, I hope he recoups his money, the villain is apprehended, and Alam continues to provides his services.

I wouldn't be so open about it though. Having no job but saying you have a house full of cash definitely gets the IRS's attention.

Probably. But then again, we don't know if there are other plausible explanations for his finances. He may come from a wealthy family, have a real job besides the sex work, be a student, etc. He'd need either some sort of job or be a student to remain in the country for more than a short stay. If he doesn't have that hook to remain in the country, the IRS is the least of his worries. Deportation generally happens on a much faster time frame than an IRS investigation.

I am sure that Alam has those that love him and hate him

it wouldn’t be hard for someone to drop a dime and tip state & federal tax authorities

True. With all of the characters on Instagram and other social media, I'm sure there are plenty of people that get dimed out. But I wonder how much attention the IRS/state tax agencies pay to the garden variety tip. They must get tons of them. Of course, the more you expose your financial situation online, the more substance there might appear to be, and therefore the greater the chance the IRS takes it seriously. In Alam's case, I have no idea what his other sources of income may be, or what he reports. He may make a lot from OnlyFans/JFF and he may report that. If he's smart, or listens to people who are, he probably has legit and reported income, even if he doesn't report everything.

I wonder whether he bought the house in his own name? To do so, he'd either have to be independently wealthy or have sufficient reported and reportable income to qualify for financing.

I am sure that Alam has those that love him and hate him

it wouldn’t be hard for someone to drop a dime and tip state & federal tax authorities

True. With all of the characters on Instagram and other social media, I'm sure there are plenty of people that get dimed out. But I wonder how much attention the IRS/state tax agencies pay to the garden variety tip. They must get tons of them. Of course, the more you expose your financial situation online, the more substance there might appear to be, and therefore the greater the chance the IRS takes it seriously. In Alam's case, I have no idea what his other sources of income may be, or what he reports. He may make a lot from OnlyFans/JFF and he may report that. If he's smart, or listens to people who are, he probably has legit and reported income, even if he doesn't report everything.

I wonder whether he bought the house in his own name? To do so, he'd either have to be independently wealthy or have sufficient reported and reportable income to qualify for financing.

You all are much better people than me. When I see a post like that my knee jerk reaction is to think A. The person is clueless to the legal problems it could potentially cause them and their clients, and B. It may just be a scam to solicit sympathy donations from gullible individuals. Fortunately for all of us most people are much nicer than me.

You all are much better people than me. When I see a post like that my knee jerk reaction is to think A. The person is clueless to the legal problems it could potentially cause them and their clients, and B. It may just be a scam to solicit sympathy donations from gullible individuals. Fortunately for all of us most people are much nicer than me.

1000% agree. Seriously...

1000% agree. Seriously...

A lot of what I'm about to write is speculation, but not entirely uninformed. I'm betting the IRS focuses mainly on routine filings, followed by hounding people who fail to fail or delay filing who have reported income and withheld taxes. Those cases usually result in no penalty (other potentially losing a refund if you wait for 3 years to file, as the refunds "expire"). Next, they probably look at high profile cases involving corporations and individuals of extraordinary wealth who use lots of tax dodges and loopholes (questionable deductions, offshore accounts, multiple home mortgage interest deductions, questionable charitable deductions, funking accounting/reporting of investment income, etc.) Well down the list, I suspect, are people with moderate incomes who underreport income. However, the IRS and tax laws have been used to go after criminals and criminal enterprises when the government couldn't prove the underlying crime. That's famously how they finally got Al Capone. Their interest in him was the organized crime operation, illegal trafficking in liquor and drugs, etc, but they couldn't get the goods to make that case, so they got him for not paying taxes on the income from those operations.

Which causes me to remember the Rentboy prosecutions that ultimately fizzled. Those cases were designed to impose a penalty for the practice of taking money for sex. If they were not going to make that stick, they didn't really want to pursue the individuals. They could have, one suspects, rooted around to make tax cases on unreported income. They didn't. I'm guessing they wanted the verdict/ruling on the sex for sale bit more than they cared about nailing the people involved for something.

I'm not sure if that's relevant to Alam's situation, but he's not a "big fish" from the IRS's perspective. And, as a general matter, it's more difficult to prove income was underreported than it is to prove deductions were overstated.

A lot of what I'm about to write is speculation, but not entirely uninformed. I'm betting the IRS focuses mainly on routine filings, followed by hounding people who fail to fail or delay filing who have reported income and withheld taxes. Those cases usually result in no penalty (other potentially losing a refund if you wait for 3 years to file, as the refunds "expire"). Next, they probably look at high profile cases involving corporations and individuals of extraordinary wealth who use lots of tax dodges and loopholes (questionable deductions, offshore accounts, multiple home mortgage interest deductions, questionable charitable deductions, funking accounting/reporting of investment income, etc.) Well down the list, I suspect, are people with moderate incomes who underreport income. However, the IRS and tax laws have been used to go after criminals and criminal enterprises when the government couldn't prove the underlying crime. That's famously how they finally got Al Capone. Their interest in him was the organized crime operation, illegal trafficking in liquor and drugs, etc, but they couldn't get the goods to make that case, so they got him for not paying taxes on the income from those operations.

Which causes me to remember the Rentboy prosecutions that ultimately fizzled. Those cases were designed to impose a penalty for the practice of taking money for sex. If they were not going to make that stick, they didn't really want to pursue the individuals. They could have, one suspects, rooted around to make tax cases on unreported income. They didn't. I'm guessing they wanted the verdict/ruling on the sex for sale bit more than they cared about nailing the people involved for something.

I'm not sure if that's relevant to Alam's situation, but he's not a "big fish" from the IRS's perspective. And, as a general matter, it's more difficult to prove income was underreported than it is to prove deductions were overstated.

But, I know him