The Irishman

TruthBTold

I seem to be the only one who thinks MEH. The acting was superb but halfway through I thought I would rather rewatch Once Upon a Time in America, the long version of course. Similar story line. Similar attention to detail and a lot more content in OUATIA. The little pop up video type recounting the deaths of minor characters added little but distraction for me. Mafia bad and kill people is not a point that needs to be stressed to anyone interested in watching this movie. The Mafia involved in killing Kennedy and the Bay of Pigs is old territory and speculative and I do not think this movie added any insight to that. Perhaps those that did not know of the hatred between Bobby Kennedy and Jimmy Hoffa found that informative. I do think the line after the Kennedy assassination when Hoffa says: Bobby Kennedy is now just another lawyer, was a powerful moment.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the film but I doubt it is winning a Best Picture Oscar. Tom Hanks and Mr. Rogers are probably taking the acting and the Best Picture Oscars back to their neighborhood.

I agree that organized crime and the Kennedy family is very old news.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like Nov. 24th street date for the home video release with extras for the film nerds:

Criterion.com: The Irishman

• Newly edited roundtable conversation among Scorsese and actors Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, originally recorded in 2019
  • New documentary about the making of the film featuring Scorsese; the lead actors; producers Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Jane Rosenthal, and Irwin Winkler; director of photography Rodrigo Prieto; and others from the cast and crew
  • New video essay written and narrated by film critic Farran Smith Nehme about The Irishman’s synthesis of Scorsese’s singular formal style
  • The Evolution of Digital De-aging, a 2019 program on the visual effects created for the film
  • Archival interview excerpts with Frank “the Irishman” Sheeran and International Brotherhood of Teamsters trade union leader Jimmy Hoffa

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G6Z9PCC/

• 1 year later...