Do any of you look for pianos in restaurants?

This topic is 1651 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are a couple of restaurants in town that I like, but have piano players who sometimes play during the meal. There have been times when I've invited people to one of those restaurants, and I get the response something along the lines of "I like the place, but I can't talk over the piano." Never in my life has someone told me "Let's go to the restaurant where they play the piano!". Maybe the people I know are not the norm, so I thought I'd ask here. Since there is at least some downside to having a piano player in your restaurant, I wonder why some places do this. Are there some of you who seek out restaurants because you enjoy hearing someone playing the piano while you're eating out?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoy live music over piped in music when I'm dining out, especially a piano. There are times when sitting too close to the piano makes conversation difficult, so I will ask when making the reservation to be seated away from the piano, but within earshot. (Of course that is all moot if the piano is amplified throughout the joint.)

I hate restaurants that have a piano player, especially if I am put at a table near the piano. If I am going to listen to music, I want to choose what I hear, and I don't want music while I am trying to have a conversation.

When I was a young man, gay piano bars were a big thing, especially for middle aged gay men who liked to dress up when they went out to the bars, and pretend that they weren't cruising, just enjoying the entertainment.

Near where I live there is a cafe/tea room that is covered but not enclosed & surrounded by beautiful gardens & duck pond. They have a piano in a pergola in the garden and a guy who plays beautifully.

Not truly a restaurant in the sense that the OP referred to, but a magical experience on a sunny day.

I only eat at restaurants that have Steinways.

German Steinways.

So, if I scheduled a date with you and wanted to start out by taking you the The Carlyle Restaurant on E 76th Street, you would decline? I'm guessing that their Steinway is New York, not German. I'd be so dissapointed if we had to turn around an leave. :(

So, if I scheduled a date with you and wanted to start out by taking you the The Carlyle Restaurant on E 76th Street, you would decline? I'm guessing that their Steinway is New York, not German. I'd be so dissapointed if we had to turn around an leave. :(

I wouldn't dare let you take me to Cafe Carlyle as their service is atrocious and their prices a high-treason crime.

Now, if you said let's go get lubricated at Bemelmans across the hall and listen to the three-piece while knocking back G&Ts, I don't know if my like for a German piano would trump my love for a well-made cocktail.

:)

I wouldn't dare let you take me to Cafe Carlyle as their service is atrocious and their prices a high-treason crime.

Now, if you said let's go get lubricated at Bemelmans across the hall and listen to the three-piece while knocking back G&Ts, I don't know if my like for a German piano would trump my love for a well-made cocktail.

:)

Elaine Stritch didn't agreed with you, based on the two very recent books about Stritch. I do know now that Cardinal Stritch from Chicago was not her uncle, as Elaine always told everyone.

There are a couple of restaurants in town that I like, but have piano players who sometimes play during the meal. There have been times when I've invited people to one of those restaurants, and I get the response something along the lines of "I like the place, but I can't talk over the piano." Never in my life has someone told me "Let's go to the restaurant where they play the piano!". Maybe the people I know are not the norm, so I thought I'd ask here. Since there is at least some downside to having a piano player in your restaurant, I wonder why some places do this. Are there some of you who seek out restaurants because you enjoy hearing someone playing the piano while you're eating out?

just the other night I was at a Mexican Restaurant with a two person musical attraction. Didn't like the noise.

Does anyone remember the old Asti’s Italian Restaurant in Greenwich Village where the wait staff were all voice students. Upon some signal they would throw a red table cloth around their shoulders and launch into the Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore karaoke style while banging rhythmically on every wine bottle an pan within reach. It was a shtick one could appreciate - but only once.

But you really prefer a Bösendorfer don’t you @Benjamin_Nicholas. Although if Bösendorfer is now owned by Yamaha.

I suspect that Mr @Benjamin_Nicholas knows what he's talking about when stating his preference for Steinways. Bösendorfer and Yamaha are the other top tier grand pianos, but I'm with Benjamin in preferring a Steinway. Regarding German vs NY Steinway, I think my preference would be NY... But only because it is, after all, New York. Also, my Grandmother used to own a NY Steinway, so there is that.

Does anyone remember the old Asti’s Italian Restaurant in Greenwich Village where the wait staff were all voice students. Upon some signal they would throw a red table cloth around their shoulders and launch into the Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore karaoke style while banging rhythmically on every wine bottle an pan within reach. It was a shtick one could appreciate - but only once.

I used to enjoy the Victor Cafe in South Philly, where they played old opera recordings made at the RCA Victor recording studio in Camden in the 1920s. Several of the waiters also liked to sing along, with variable results. WilliamM might know if it is still operating.