Random random

loremipsum

I read elsewhere a little while ago someone express a degree of disdain for the overuse of the word 'curate'

I’ve been seeing “curate” a lot more often lately... or am I only just noticing?

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, or frequency illusion: The illusion in which a word, a name, or other thing that has recently come to one's attention suddenly seems to appear with improbable frequency shortly afterwards.

Speaking of interesting phenomena: In that other thread I posted the quote “I can’t deny the fact that you like me. Right now, you like me!” It’s what Sally Field actually said in her Oscar acceptance speech, not “You like me! You really like me!” Most people think that she said the latter, for whatever reason, which is an example of the Mandela Effect:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/g28438966/mandela-effect-examples/

I wonder how this even occurred to her to say.

The "Froot Loops" vs "Fruit Loops" example in that article: I remember reading long ago that the cereal was, originally, Fruit Loops. Then someone brought up that there was really no fruit in the cereal (perhaps they brought it up via a lawsuit?) and Kellogg's changed the name. This is an old, old, memory and perhaps itself an example of the Mandela Effect. :-)

At a seaside resort a bit north Penang Malaysia, I was babysitting some young relatives. Along the shore women from a number of Islamic countries were enjoying the beach. They observed a wide range of modesty. Some in full burka waded along the shore. Some more daring waded up to their waist with proper head covering. A very few even ducked their bare heads under water. Of course they were wearing one piece bathing suits that were far from revealing. But the women who took the cake was the one who wore a full burka with veil who I discovered parasailing along the shoreline above me. A regular Flying Nun! Her decent was into young men who appeared to be relatives. A really memorable moment. My young Malaysian charges had no cultural connection to the Flying Nun and couldn't understand why their "uncle" had collapsed in laughter.

The "Froot Loops" vs "Fruit Loops" example in that article: I remember reading long ago that the cereal was, originally, Fruit Loops. Then someone brought up that there was really no fruit in the cereal (perhaps they brought it up via a lawsuit?) and Kellogg's changed the name. This is an old, old, memory and perhaps itself an example of the Mandela Effect. :)

Happens to be one of my favorite sugary, roof-of-the-mouth-destroying cereals.

Personally, the “Hello, Clarice” factoid tripped me up.

I think, at the time, she wasn't taken too seriously and the Oscar was some sort of validation that she had "arrived" and had gained respect.......

I thought Mary Martin was the flying

nun when she taped the in color version of "Peter Pan" during the day and still played Maria eight performances a week of "The Sound of Music."

Edited by WilliamM

this last Friday, December 6, was the 102nd anniversary of the worst man-made explosion in history before the atomic age.......

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/halifax-explosion

Perhaps the most poignant reminder of the tragedy, and the response to it, is the large Christmas tree cut every year from the Nova Scotia woods and erected in central Boston — a gift of thanks from the people of Halifax to a city that provided essential relief and support in the wake of the explosion.

this last Friday, December 6, was the 102nd anniversary of the worst man-made explosion in history before the atomic age.......

Perhaps the most poignant reminder of the tragedy, and the response to it, is the large Christmas tree cut every year from the Nova Scotia woods and erected in central Boston — a gift of thanks from the people of Halifax to a city that provided essential relief and support in the wake of the explosion.

My dad graduated from a Catholic university in Nova Scotia, not his choice .......

This might belong under an old "pet peeves" thread but it's too early to search for it :-? One phrase that's always bugged me: "Unless you've been living under a rock, you have heard about <insert topic here>". The local paper's restaurant reviewer started his review this morning with "Unless you've been living under a vegan rock the last few months..." It's passive-aggressive patronizing, saying "you're a loser if you don't share my interests".

• 2 weeks later...

2 conclusions:

The IMO caused the accident.

Regulations are good but must be followed.