Reactions to these veggie burgers?

This topic is 1616 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There was a famous freeway stop around Vacaville called the "Nut Tree" that is no longer there. When you went into the restaurant there were greeters wearing uniforms that resembled nurse uniforms. They always made me think of the greeters in Soylent Green who walked people to the reception desk to sign up to be offed.

Haha I remember the Nut Tree!! traveling I80 from school in SF to relatives in Sacto!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...My father died at 81 eating anything he wanted and smoking two packs of cigarettes a day plus drinking daily a six-pack of beer and a pint of bourbon – not all that bad. His parents, however lived to be 94 (mother) and 96 (father). My mother died at 91, in her sleep) and ate generally a well-balanced diet...

So much for whoever said genetics was only 5% of your cardiac risk! What great genes to have. I would never be so bold...

know how much water it takes raising beef and pigs?

a majority of soy in this country (and also that grown in the Amazon) is grown TO FEED ANIMALS, especially cattle - not only do you require water for growing the feed crops, the animals take tons of water themselves

??‍♂️...

Also, you eat fruits and veggies, in addition to your insatiable thirst for animal carcasses so you are - by definition - an omnivore

I am a total and complete carnivore. I eat primarily chicken and beef but on occasion add pork, lamb or turkey. It will be a VERY cold day in hell when I start or even try eating vegetable substitutes for meat. An interesting aside to this ever increasing emphasis on growing vegetables to produce meat substitutes is that it is placing a huge burden on the world's water supply. Countries like Pakistan and India are already facing major water shortages and crisis within the next decade.

I love fresh vegetables, of all types, and eat them with my various meats daily. I don’t eat much fruit as I’m not a sweet fan. The only medication I take daily is a small dose of Lipitor for a slightly elevated cholesterol and Naproxen for arthritis. I over salt all of my food but my blood pressure is perfect without medication.

My father died at 81 eating anything he wanted and smoking two packs of cigarettes a day plus drinking daily a six-pack of beer and a pint of bourbon – not all that bad. His parents, however lived to be 94 (mother) and 96 (father). My mother died at 91, in her sleep) and ate generally a well-balanced diet.

Frankly I don’t give a damn that some believe that cows farting methane is harming the environment. My idea of a perfect death is having a fatal heart attack at 95 or 96 with a blood rare steak in one hand and a good glass of red wine in the other. I will be 79 next month.

Using an anecdote to shred the science... is not good science

I think @PapaTony is a bit off on his percentage number, but his thesis still holds that lifestyle is the major contributor to CvD

I was echoing a comment made by a lecturer in a diet class; I’ll have to find references to cite here on the matter but the point being that as recently as 10 years ago genetics were scored as impacting ones health at something like 50%. Geneticists have in recent years re-evaluated that percentage significantly.

This article does not address my point specifically but it’s good reading:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-genetics-of-heart-disease-an-update

Burger King and McDonalds have had vegan burgers for many years - not on the menu because the cost of the burgers isn't worth it. You just have to ask for it. These new "fake meat" burgers are trending because they mimic meat rather than creating a healthy alternative. Beet juice is what helps create that bloody flavor. The fat from coconut is very good fat. Cows actually burp the methane that is causing alarm. Gee all this talk about burgers is making me hungry...

Cows actually burp the methane that is causing alarm

Partially corrrect...

THE FACTS: Cows fart. That contributes to global warming. But cow burps are worse for the climate.

“Cows are pretty disgusting eaters, with methane coming from both ends,” said Christopher Field at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment. “But most of it comes from burping.”

https://www.apnews.com/9791f1f85808409e93a1abc8b98531d5

Heme is what creates the meaty texture and flavor.

The Impossible Burger: Inside the Strange Science of the Fake Meat That 'Bleeds'

https://www.wired.com/story/the-impossible-burger/

CORRECTION: there was no bloodlike substance to it, not even a hint of pink..... It was cooked well done and brown.... and also, not a hint of any kind of "juice"...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dislike rare meat and order things either medium well or well done-I actually don't like well done that much. But some places will still serve things with a reddish center if you ask for medium well. With that in mind, the red center on the Impossible Burger grosses me out. I realize it's not actually undercooked beef, but ...

impossibleburger.jpg

Gman

Guest Calix_K

Has anyone seen the Netflix "Game Changers" doc?

As far as sat fat goes, I've known guys who swear by the Keto lifestyle who have managed to transition to fat for fuel and low/no carb and others who can't efficiently convert ketone bodies to fuel and simply..get fat and feel like shit.

Personally, the combination of travel, meal prep and ensuring you have our trusty fat bombs at the ready for snacks has prevented me from a long term Keto diet.

Everyone's mileage will vary based on genetic predispositions and other factors, but as far as meatless options go I'd eat them in moderation and be aware of activity levels if going all out on a meatless diet/high fat diet.

I dislike rare meat and order things either medium well or well done-I actually don't like well done that much. But some places will still serve things with a reddish center if you ask for medium well. With that in mind, the red center on the Impossible Burger grosses me out. I realize it's not actually undercooked beef, but ...

impossibleburger.jpg

Gman

Looks ok to me...some of the companies are using beet juice.

AND, the Blood dripping from “bloody rare” beef isn’t really blood at all. It’s myoglobin

impossibleburger.jpg

Gman

Looks ok to me...some of the companies are using beet juice.

AND, the Blood dripping from “bloody rare” beef isn’t really blood at all. It’s myoglobin

I know it's only myoglobin. But it looks like blood-myoglobin being a close relative of hemoglobin which is what makes blood red. And even if it's not blood, it still signifies uncooked meat to me.

Gman

• 1 month later...
...Beyond Meat burgers are in the grocery store and at Carl's Jrs. Unlike the Impossible burger, the Beyond Meat burger does not have soy; the protein is from pea protein, canola oil, and coconut oil....

I recently made Beyond Meat burgers and really liked them. The absence of soy attracted me because I don't tolerate soy products.

One thing to note is the patties quick VERY quickly. Using my indoor smokeless grill, the recommended 4 minutes per side was too long. Next time it will be two minutes per side.

...I find both the Impossible and Beyond burgers to be really convincing, almost creepily so. So for someone wanting to reduce or eliminate meat from their diet they're compelling.

I found the same to be true. Call it "virtual reality meat."

I recently made Beyond Meat burgers and really liked them. The absence of soy attracted me because I don't tolerate soy products.

One thing to note is the patties quick VERY quickly. Using my indoor smokeless grill, the recommended 4 minutes per side was too long. Next time it will be two minutes per side.

I found the same to be true. Call it "virtual reality meat."

In one form or another, it’s here to stay.