Random Acts of Kindness

jjkrkwood
This topic is 1121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last week I was in the supermarket aisle trying to make a decision of which bottled water I should buy. I usually go by price, but most often when I freeze the bottles for the beach the plastic cracks and the water leaks out... The stock boy on duty saw my dilemma and said "can I help you?" I told him I needed a recommendation, and he gave he one, which turned out to be spot on. No cracked plastic bottles.....

This week I went back to seek him out, and he happened to be working. I reminded him who I was and of our previous conversation, and handed him a $20 bill and said thank you..... The look on his face was priceless, as if I was from Publishers Clearing House handing him a million dollar check. THAT was MY reward, and he kept repeating thank you, thank you......

Have YOU ever made someones day with a Random act of kindness, or been touched yourself by one given to you ?

I’ve been in the hospital (often) lately. On a very hot day our car’s engine conked out as my partner was leaving the hospital. The car was towed to the dealer where he learned that the engine (insured) needed to be replaced but that it would take some time just to get the adjuster to inspect the damage. The service guy went out of his way to get us a loaner. A week later and now out of the hospital we went back to the dealer to “harvest” some items from the glove compartment and trunk of our car. The service guy was aghast when we handed him a Visa gift card. Propitious timing on our part as it turns out. We were back at the dealer this week for some paperwork and learned that our service guy was just back from his honeymoon. Doing good feels good!

ps. It’s been over a month and the adjuster still hasn’t made it to our part of south Texas.

I’ve been in the hospital (often) lately. On a very hot day our car’s engine conked out as my partner was leaving the hospital. The car was towed to the dealer where he learned that the engine (insured) needed to be replaced but that it would take some time just to get the adjuster to inspect the damage. The service guy went out of his way to get us a loaner. A week later and now out of the hospital we went back to the dealer to “harvest” some items from the glove compartment and trunk of our car. The service guy was aghast when we handed him a Visa gift card. Propitious timing on our part as it turns out. We were back at the dealer this week for some paperwork and learned that our service guy was just back from his honeymoon. Doing good feels good!

ps. It’s been over a month and the adjuster still hasn’t made it to our part of south Texas.

You aint alone, my car is n the shop too... Actually a re-do. they fixed the problem, now its a NEW problem.

Part 2- can't find the edit icon!

Anyway a guy @ the airport noticed we had no money & gave us the equivalent of $10 & asked us to pass it on one day.

Years later on the last night of a residential training course I noticed a guy outside the bar but reluctant to go in & join the last night party. He told me he was broke so I gave him double the amount we had been given & asked him one day to pass it on. What goes around comes around.

Last fall my Navy Twin had liberty one Saturday and I brought him into DC for dinner. He was in uniform, of course. We went to a nice place that is a family favorite. When I asked for the check, the server said it had been paid by another customer, I asked who, and she said he'd already left. Plus, she added that two others had offered after he had paid! I turned to my son and said I had better start taking him to more expensive restaurants if people are going to pay for our meals. He rolled his eyes.

Edited by BasketBaller

Last fall my Navy Twin had liberty one Saturday and I brought him into DC for dinner. He was in uniform, of course. We went to a nice place that is a family favorite, Busboys & Poets. When I asked for the check, the server said it had been paid by another customer, I asked who, and she said he'd already left. Plus, she added that two others had offered after he had paid! I turned to my son and said I had better start taking him to more expensive restaurants if people are going to pay for our meals. He rolled his eyes.

I have a feeling your son is right. As with hotels, the more you pay, the LESS you get. I think people in significantly higher income classes / holders of wealth just aren’t going to do that. (How do you think they got wealthy?)

Why doesn’t the Four Seasons chain have breakfast buffets? Discuss amongst yourselves.

A while back, while working and living in Washington State, I had the habit of running across the street from work to the Zippy Mart and grabbing a morning donut and coffee. Got to know the morning staff well, including one cashier who was the younger sister of a high school chum. Once we figured out how we knew each other, we would have a brief chat each day she was working.

I also picked up the nasty habit of a weekly lottery ticket purchase. Just one per week, like the odds of one in eight million was enough to keep me honest! One Friday, Stephanie and I had our chat, and she asked if I was buying my lottery ticket for Saturday- so, of course I got my ticket. Got up on Sunday and while reading the Spokesman Review, I checked my ticket and, lo and behold, it was a five-out-of-six match- good for $1200! Yay! I cashed it in at the lottery office, and put a $100 bill aside- the next time I saw Stephanie, I"d give her a gift for reminding me to get my ticket. The next Thursday, I go across and she's working - I play it casual, get my fix and chat, and on my way out the door, I turn and say, "by the way, your reminder to get a lottery ticket was a good omen, it was a winner! So, here's a hundred for you as thanks."

Her face turned three shades of purple, and she began quietly sobbing. I asked what gives, and she told me that she needed $80 to pay for her kids' school pictures the next day, and she was going to have to go without pictures this year, but now she could get them done! Altho she was a friend and I would have given her the money if she had asked, she never would have, so it was kismet that worked out in that way. Since then I have tried to pay it forward whenever the opportunity presents, and it helps me combat the ugliness that sometimes can take over the psyche.

A few years ago I was stationed in LA for three straight weeks and stayed at the hotel the entire time. Every morning when I called to the parking valet the same lady answered. After the third day, she knew my pattern and when I called she said "I already had them bring your car up." Upon checking out I handed her a card with a gift card in it (thought about cash, but she works in a room with cash - bad idea). She came out of the booth and gave me a big hug. Everyone tips the guys who bring the car around, but no one ever tips the lady who runs the show.

A few years ago I was stationed in LA for three straight weeks and stayed at the hotel the entire time. Every morning when I called to the parking valet the same lady answered. After the third day, she knew my pattern and when I called she said "I already had them bring your car up." Upon checking out I handed her a card with a gift card in it (thought about cash, but she works in a room with cash - bad idea). She came out of the booth and gave me a big hug. Everyone tips the guys who bring the car around, but no one ever tips the lady who runs the show.

I think this is very heart warming. Plus it indicates to her that some people actually pay attention to detail and really care. :)

A couple of years ago I was at a local, very popular, hamburger joint. The kind of place that has the menu on the wall and you order at the front counter but the staff brings you your food. A clean but rather down and out looking young man was gazing at the menu. After a couple of moments he started to walk out of the place. I caught up with him and asked if he was hungry and looking at the floor he quietly murmured yes. I walked him over to the menu and told to order whatever he wanted and as much as he wanted. The look on his face was such that I thought he was going to burst into tears. He thanked me, I paid the bill and left.

Edited by Epigonos

You constantly say on the forum that you loveee to suck and that you are very confident in your cocksucking skills, so why don't you do a random act of kindness with my dick down your throat :p ;)

Mr King, you are correct about my skill, and the answer is quite simple, because THAT act of kindness would set me back $300. I aint THAT kind ! :p (but I do love you)

JJKirkwood, Thank you for this post I have not seen much kindness lately and was kind of down.

You may not realize it but the post itself was an act of kindness.

We have been known too seriously over tip our servers. One time the waitress was so shocked she hugged everyone at the table. I have a feeling we were in a restaurant frequented by cheapskates. Another time we noticed the restaurant seemed to be short staffed and our waitress was doing an amazing job keeping the extra tables and us taken care of. We had already paid our bill and tipped her when we asked about the situation she said multiple people had called in sick. We said you look like you going to need a drink. She laughed and said her roommate promised he would take her out for a drink if he could scape up some extra money. (Wages and tips barely cover the essentials in LA.) We gave her some more money and though she tried to refused we said someone who works as hard as you needs to have a little fun.

A couple of years ago I was at a local, very popular, hamburger joint. The kind of place that has the menu on the wall and you order at the front counter but the staff brings you your food. A clean but rather down and out look young man was gazing at the menu. After a couple of moments to started to walk out of the place. I caught up with him and asked if he was hungry and looking at the floor he quietly murmured yes. I walked him over to the menu and told to order whatever he wanted and as much as he wanted. The look on his face was such that I thought he was going to burst into tears. He thanked me, I paid the bill and left.

That made me cry.

Every since the turn of the century I've lived by the precepts of "Pay it forward", it has produced some amazing results. If you have a chance to watch the movie, it's ok to cry at the ending.

Pay_it_forward_ver1.jpg

My favorite payment is to buy several $5 gift cards from Jack In the box and hand them out to the street kids that need them.

• 1 year later...