James Bond and Thor are now women?

Walker1
This topic is 1630 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have read reports that the next James Bond is a black woman and Thor is going to be Natalie Portman. Why?

I mean there have been women in action roles-Lara Croft , Wonder Woman etc? Why not create new characters and movies -instead of changing such iconic characters??

Why Thor-I love Chris Hemsworth and James Bond has always been an iconic movie. Maybe I am not woke enough?

What is next, remake of Rocky and Rambo with a fat man or woman in a wheelchair? I guess I am now a bigot.

Maybe the next Charlie’s Angels will be guys. Any dream cast???

Dream on! According to the "woke", men aren't underrepresented nor oppressed. They'll probably choose a Trans, a Black Woman, a Latina or possibly even a hijab wearing Muslima to fit their agenda. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bearman

I have read reports that the next James Bond is a black woman and Thor is going to be Natalie Portman. Why?

I mean there have been women in action roles-Lara Croft , Wonder Woman etc? Why not create new characters and movies -instead of changing such iconic characters??

Why Thor-I love Chris Hemsworth and James Bond has always been an iconic movie. Maybe I am not woke enough?

What is next, remake of Rocky and Rambo with a fat man or woman in a wheelchair? I guess I am now a bigot.

I’m not a fan of Bond movies or action movies, so it doesn’t matter to me in the least. Let’s see how the market reacts.

It's not that James Bond is a woman, it's that James Bond retires and the new designated 007 is a woman.

As for Thor, in the comics there was a period where Thor believed himself unworthy and therefor could no longer lift his Hammer. (which has an enchantment on it that whoever lifts this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.) While he couldn't lift it, his ex-gf, Jane Foster, took up the hammer for a while. It was also interesting because in her mortal form she was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, and the transformation would wipe the drugs out of her body, making her sicker each time she transformed.

It's not that James Bond is a woman, it's that James Bond retires and the new designated 007 is a woman.

As for Thor, in the comics there was a period where Thor believed himself unworthy and therefor could no longer lift his Hammer. (which has an enchantment on it that whoever lifts this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.) While he couldn't lift it, his ex-gf, Jane Foster, took up the hammer for a while. It was also interesting because in her mortal form she was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, and the transformation would wipe the drugs out of her body, making her sicker each time she transformed.

Create a new character. Xena the Warrior Princess, Wonder Woman, lara Croft and Zoe saldana in Colombiana was awesome. One woman army wiping out hundreds of drug lords and goons and taking on the CIA and FBI-so believable and nice movie-I loved it.

But don't do things just to make a statement. Bond has always been this casanova studly guy. It is james Bond-not Jill Bond. Make a new character about a deadly vixen, look at the colombiana-beautiful movie -one woman taking on the FBI, CIA, drug lords and winning!

Angelina Jolie in maleficent, Famke Janssen as the Dark Phoenix, Uma Thurman and the other women in Kill Bill and so many other women who can kick ass, save the world.

Maybe it is just a larger thing-don't destroy everything that exists to build something up. Create something new that all can enjoy.

You're missing that James Bond is STILL in the movie and the female 007 IS a new character. Likewise Jane Foster is a separate character and for decades there has been speculation about who else might be "worthy." This isn't undoing anything. It's an exploration of the story.

James Bond is retiring and it is just transitory to this person in the movie per reports. That is not James Bond being in the movie. It was james Bond 007. The entire story was about JAMES BOND 007. Many men have come and gone -all have played the same character-James Bond. Bring in a black man, hispanic man, asian man-fine -but a debonair handsome studly man.

You can bring this new lady and use that as a spinoff. Like the multiple Law and order spinoffs or the real housewives spinoffs. Don't change the original and pretend it is all the same. I want a fit stud coming out of the ocean in his underwear, not -oh well. Create a new franchise with a woman in the lead.

Edited by Walker1

Maybe the next Charlie’s Angels will be guys. Any dream cast???

There was an attempt at this, back in the original series; an episode where Charlie called for help from his friend, a woman who owned an agency with three guys as investigators. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539264/ According to the trivia entries, if response to this had been better, it might have become its own show.

There was an attempt at this, back in the original series; an episode where Charlie called for help from his friend, a woman who owned an agency with three guys as investigators. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539264/ According to the trivia entries, if response to this had been better, it might have become its own show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfDUtO3PGLE

Apparently, NPR suppressed the story regarding mandatory viewing of the new 007 and Thor films, so I didn't hear about it.

Nonsense, it's right next to the story about how all the old films have been erased from history so we can no longer enjoy them... :D

You're actually getting things confused. Lashana Lynch is actually going to play 007, not James Bond. The novels and previous movies both established that the 007 code name has been held by agents before Bond and there are also other numeric code names (00 means you have a license to kill). Apparently Lynch will be playing the newest iteration of 007 after James Bond retires in the newest film (https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a28419248/new-james-bond-007-lashana-lynch/), but James Bond will remain played by Daniel Craig and will assuredly come back into action at some point.

Also as someone else pointed out Thor actually has been Jane Foster in the comics before and there have been at least five other Thors as well. The original story of Thor actually had a disabled medical student named Donald Blake become Thor after finding Mjolnir although that was later retconned. But there have been many times where the original Thor has been incapacitated or otherwise unable to wield Mjolnir and another Thor has been in his place.

In both cases, there has been long established continuity that women could play both 007 and Thor. So I feel people upset about this are likely more upset at the supposed "political correctness" involved than any connection to the established background of both characters.

Edited by keroscenefire

You guys can mock all you want. Doesn't change that men are men and strong studly amsculine men are strong studly masculine men.

I love Star Trek. Kirk is man and so is Picard. janeway is a woman-all three captains and I like all three. For me it is a tie-between Picard and Janeway. Both are awesome. Now if they made a remake and put a woman as Picard -that is dumb, New franchise/same concept-great!

It is funny today a certain side has become very arrogant, will not debate and think they are absolutely right-JUST BECAUSE THEY DEEM IT SO. very similar to the religious figures I grew up with-mock doctrine and they thought you were a fool or heretic . Sigh-some things never change.

With that I will stop as this will be banished to the pits of hell in the politics forum.

My point is that I am perfectly fine with women in action/lead roles-just don't hijack existing ones. No-all the Bond movies are just that-BOND.

The female Thor is a minor diversion. But hey -continue on-anyone having a different opinion must believe in dinosaur saddles .

Edited by Walker1

Bottom line is that they want to keep the 007 franchise going while pandering to Millennials. Also, in this era of Me Too, having a male Bond mess with a female colleague or even a foreign counterpart wouldn’t be a good look.

If the film does well, there will be more female 007s. Otherwise, they can check off the strong woman box and go back to casting male leads.

Edited by FreshFluff

• 4 months later...
Striking a fine blow for equality, not to mention artistic freedom.

I guess I have to agree.

So it is this thread you bring up and won't link. LOL. So according to your definition, somebody who say is gay is a bigot-because you don't want to sleep with a man. You claimed "You've posted about not allowing women to hold certain jobs women can't do some jobs of men." False. This makes my point in the other thread about 70-80% people being ok and being drowned out by the fringe.

You respond to this thread from months ago-why? then won't give me context when I ask and then compare that to my other thread and LOL-this is just funny. Anyways this much efforts and back and forth and refusing to even be honest about what you are talking about. Oh well way too much effort and not something I want to spend my time dealing with-off to ignore.

One of those scratch your head twilight zone moments-LOL!!!!!

Edited by Walker1

There’s nothing wrong with your opinion.

placing women in these roles is where feminism and “inclusion”, has gone wrong....

This is just as idiotic as turning “Wonder Woman”, into “Wonder Man”, and having some dude in a onesie, knee high boots and a lasso.

And if the new 007 is going to be a woman, then who’s going to be the first “Bond Boy”?

I love movies with bad-ass women, and many were made over the past 40 years have have been successful.

As an example, Kill Bill wouldn’t have been the same if Beatrix Kiddo were a man.

Sheeba Baby, Coffy, and Foxy Brown wouldn’t have been as iconic as they were without Pam Grier.

Men have their roles and women have their roles... leave them both alone and stop changing shit.

Dream on! According to the "woke", men aren't underrepresented nor oppressed. They'll probably choose a Trans, a Black Woman, a Latina or possibly even a hijab wearing Muslima to fit their agenda. :rolleyes:

Ummm

The thread is about gender-specific roles being changed for the purpose of “inclusion”,

Not your disdain with Hollywood making characters other races that you feel should remain white.