No A/C

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 1782 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

(This is not a complaint post; just trying to share some humor.)

So after hosting a group for poker on Friday evening where one of the gentlemen asked if I could raise the temp in my condo a degree or two, the A/C went out sometime while I was out Saturday. I returned Saturday evening to it being 76 in my condo. By bedtime the thermostat said 79.

Sunday morning I dialed my regular heating & air company but decided against paying the rate for emergency service and left a message requesting an appointment for today. At 8:30 last evening, I decided a trip to DQ was warranted prior to taking a cooling off shower.

This morning I received the call to schedule the appointment, and the best I can do is wait until tomorrow. My sister checked in with me this evening to see if the A/C was working yet and when I responded that I still had to wait 24 hours and the thermostat read 83, her reply was, "I know it is going to be cooler in the basement, but don't sleep naked on your leather sofa. You will still to it worse than bubblegum on the bottom of your sneakers."

I refrained from asking her how she became so wise.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, just had a air conditioning problem.

Saturday morning, after 9 years of faithful service, my window AC unit died a peaceful and quiet death.

We have been having hot and humid weather here in NYC, and the apartment became very uncomfortable.

My building handyman arrived and was able to provide me with a "loaner" AC until I could replace mine.

I called an AC sales and installation company here in NYC and they got back to me saying there was nothing they could do for me. They were booked up for 6 weeks! Yikes.

I went on the internet, looked up some prices for the unit I wanted to purchase (Just an upgraded model - Fridgeaire) and found one of the lowest rices was at a large appliance/electronics store near me but the delivery time was a week away. However Amazon had the same make/model and promised delivery on Monday evening (yesterday).

Needless to say the Amazon price was $10 higher but with Amazon Prime, I got free delivery and a better delivery date.

In conclusion, the unit is up and running and I am in blissful coolness.

Stay cool.

My building is not individually metered (NYC no longer allows such construction), so I don't pay for utilities, just $180/yr per a/c ($15/mo all year long). Mine go on in early June (late May if necessary) and go off sometime after Labor Day.

Oddly enough, it's the fourth straight such apartment that I've lived in. I last paid a utility bill in 1986.

I, too, just had a air conditioning problem.

Saturday morning, after 9 years of faithful service, my window AC unit died a peaceful and quiet death.

We have been having hot and humid weather here in NYC, and the apartment became very uncomfortable.

My building handyman arrived and was able to provide me with a "loaner" AC until I could replace mine.

I called an AC sales and installation company here in NYC and they got back to me saying there was nothing they could do for me. They were booked up for 6 weeks! Yikes.

I went on the internet, looked up some prices for the unit I wanted to purchase (Just an upgraded model - Fridgeaire) and found one of the lowest rices was at a large appliance/electronics store near me but the delivery time was a week away. However Amazon had the same make/model and promised delivery on Monday evening (yesterday).

Needless to say the Amazon price was $10 higher but with Amazon Prime, I got free delivery and a better delivery date.

In conclusion, the unit is up and running and I am in blissful coolness.

Stay cool.

The local appliance store doesn't stock the A/C units in that location. They have to order a drop ship from a warehouse. Amazon doesn't have the store, so everything is drop shipped from an Amazon warehouse. The difference is Amazon is delivering in your neighborhood everyday.

Guest LeonTrotsky
I sleep nude year round and have since puberty.

same here. naked. as much as possible, whenever possible. my bed is definitely a no clothes zone.

I sleep nude year round and have since puberty.

I did that for many years.

I got a little rattled after an incident that threatened to chase me out of the house naked in the middle of the night and have since at least worn loose shorts in bed.

If I'm standing on a sidewalk in the middle of a bomb threat in the middle of the night I'll at least have some shorts on. I don't make any promises regarding the condition of those shorts, but I will have them on.

I am so used to air-conditioning during the summer that I swore off traveling to Europe from July to September. A/C-equipped hotel rooms there are a rare sight and if I were to stay with friends, they are not putting theirs on full blast. I would wake up several times in the evening on a sweat-soaked bed. I was absolutely miserable.

I have a tower fan at my apartment that is almost never turned off during the summer, even if my A/C is on full blast.

In case it's not obvious yet, summer is my least favorite season. Although I enjoy going to the beach and the eye-candy that comes with it, I don't get to do it often to change my mind haha.

I am so used to air-conditioning during the summer that I swore off traveling to Europe from July to September. A/C-equipped hotel rooms there are a rare sight and if I were to stay with friends, they are not putting theirs on full blast.

This surprised me during my first trip to Europe many moons ago. I had to learn to adapt to it; “embrace the suck” as my military brat buddies are fond of saying. Nowadays, when I head over there for work, I insist on staying at a hotel from a large chain (Hyatt, Marriott etc) as they are good at having ‘proper’ heat/air available. ?

Guest LeonTrotsky
Here in Paris there is no A/C. I was able to dodge the heatwave that rolled through Europe a few weeks ago, but on most days with all the windows open in the apt, it’s actually quite nice.

i stayed in a place on blvd. de Clichy - open windows onto a noisy street, but ever so worth it.... paris sparkles in the heat while new york only wilts!

I'm fortunate to live in a climate that is warm and dry in summer (rarely over 40°C, 10-15 days over 35°C) and at some altitude (not all that much, 600 metres, but it makes a difference), and have never needed air conditioning, helped by the building alignment (no west-facing windows). (I own another unit in the development, and it does have a/c, and west big west-facing windows.)

I remember staying in a cheap, no a/c hotel in Madrid when I was young. It was so hot that the only way to get non-stifling, breathable air was to stand at the wide-open, floor to ceiling window "mid nodings on" and then having to hide from the occasional nocturnal passer-by in the square below. Of course, I was accustomed to spending my summers in Ireland where a heatwave meant being able to take off one's overcoat and one woolly jumper for half-an-hour at midday.

This surprised me during my first trip to Europe many moons ago. I had to learn to adapt to it; “embrace the suck” as my military brat buddies are fond of saying. Nowadays, when I head over there for work, I insist on staying at a hotel from a large chain (Hyatt, Marriott etc) as they are good at having ‘proper’ heat/air available. ?

Thanks for the tip! Even when looking at Airbnbs, I always make sure the apartment I'm staying at has A/C.

Call Me By Your Name's beautiful cinematography stops at the big screen. No way in hell I'm staying in an Italian house that doesn't have at the very least stand fans, for an entire summer.

Unsurprisingly, friends from Europe who visit me here in NYC complain about the temperature of their hotel rooms.

same here. naked. as much as possible, whenever possible. my bed is definitely a no clothes zone.[/quote

Always with underwear only. One of my frequent weekend companions also wears a t-shirt. I don’t know many who sleep nude.

Living in Southern California I have no problem no using my furnace in the winter BUT in the heat of the summer I frequently have the air conditioning going 24/7 to keep the temperature at 76.

Yes, living in Palm Springs starting in June, the air-conditioning runs 24/7

In the 80s stayed at a 4 star business hotel in Milan and woke up overnight with no AC. Thinking it was broken I called down to switch rooms and was was told not broken, that AC not needed while sleeping and was off midnight to 6 am!