CANCELED - 2020 Palm Springs Weekend! #17

Oliver
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I amend my above - I’d guess no events until July. All of you thinking about going anywhere are deluding yourselves. Every county on Earth is implementing draconian lock downs. Even if the Federal government in the US doesn’t, the states are one by one. California included. What’s more, you should stay at home as much as possible period.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey fellas - i hope everyone is staying safe! i know there's a lot of uncertainty right now in general, and regarding the PS trip specifically. reading all of your responses reminded me of something: you can purchase an annual trip insurance policy.

you might have seen when you book train tickets or plane tickets that you get offered an insurance plan, usually underwritten by allianz. the rates are not so bad, but if travel a lot, you might want to consider an annual plan from allianz. they have a few plans, but i know insuring one person (me, at 41 and living in NY) is about 125/yr. they do have plans to cover your household if you're partnered/married/have kids, and they do offer rental car plans as well (though you can't use them if you're a resident of NY - i'm not sure about other states).

if you don't travel so much or an annual plan is not for you, they also offer per-trip plans and per-rental plans for cars. i would recommend NOT accepting the insurance offer that you get when you buy tickets, and instead go directly to allanz and purchase an insurance plan for your trip. it's the same plan you would have gotten, typically at a more reasonable rate.

hey fellas - i hope everyone is staying safe! i know there's a lot of uncertainty right now in general, and regarding the PS trip specifically. reading all of your responses reminded me of something: you can purchase an annual trip insurance policy.

An annual policy is a good idea, although some credit cards have included insurance if you use them to pay for your trip. In this case they might all be of no use because they generally exclude pandemics and terrorism among other things. If you have insurance of any sort it's worth asking the question of your provider, of course.

I agree that it's a bad business look for a hotel to decline to refund deposits in this sort of situation but an independent operator may be simply unable to afford to do so (unlike a corporate chain). In any case I'm waiting a bit to see if travel and other restrictions in CA become so draconian that operators are forced to offer refunds, or at least to transfer deposits to another stay.

you might have seen when you book train tickets or plane tickets that you get offered an insurance plan, usually underwritten by allianz. the rates are not so bad, but if travel a lot, you might want to consider an annual plan from allianz. they have a few plans, but i know insuring one person (me, at 41 and living in NY) is about 125/yr. they do have plans to cover your household if you're partnered/married/have kids, and they do offer rental car plans as well (though you can't use them if you're a resident of NY - i'm not sure about other states).

if you don't travel so much or an annual plan is not for you, they also offer per-trip plans and per-rental plans for cars. i would recommend NOT accepting the insurance offer that you get when you buy tickets, and instead go directly to allanz and purchase an insurance plan for your trip. it's the same plan you would have gotten, typically at a more reasonable rate.

I think trip insurance is a moneymaker, because very few people actually do cancel their trips. However, in a situation like this, with enormous numbers of people having to cancel, I wonder if companies like Allianz will be in financial trouble.

If you've made reservations on Airbnb, be sure to check the cancellation policy.

I booked two places in Palm Springs for late March/early April which I had to cancel b/c of the virus and travel concerns. I was able to cancel one without issue and received a full refund. When cancelling the other place, I was going to be charged 50 percent of the cost. However, I was able to contact the hosts whom were terrific and explained that there would be no penatiy if I re-booked for a future stay, which I did for early June.

I hate to hear this about INNdulge I've always stayed there in PS and the owners always seemed to be really nice. They definitely aren't hurting for money.

I canceled yesterday and there is no refunds or credits. I’m eating half the total cost of my stay. The manager calls it sharing the risk.

No credit toward a future rebooking? That’s bad business and creates an unnecessary good will problem. I accept that it’s a small business and being hit very hard but being flexible with cancellation and rebooking is a way to alleviate issues for loyal guests and the resort.

I hate to hear this about INNdulge I've always stayed there in PS and the owners always seemed to be really nice. They definitely aren't hurting for money.

Everyone having an issue with the cancellation policy should post their experience on Trip Advisor. I’m holding off on canceling in anticipation of a forced grounding of travel. Then there is a force Majeure without question.

I may also contact my credit card company and file a disputed charge claim. The issuer may still validate the charge but resort will have to spend time, effort, and money verifying the transaction.

Everyone having an issue with the cancellation policy should post their experience on Trip Advisor. I’m holding off on canceling in anticipation of a forced grounding of travel. Then there is a force Majeure without question.

I may also contact my credit card company and file a disputed charge claim. The issuer may still validate the charge but resort will have to spend time, effort, and money verifying the transaction.

Thank you for posting these alternative measures... Cheers!

Thank you for posting these alternative measures... Cheers!

I hate to actually give such advice in this instance. I’m dealing with cancellation of hotel contracts some of which have six figure penalties. Every hotel I’ve dealt with, including a few independents, have been flexible about rebooking as a matter of goodwill. We’re all in this together.

In any case I'm waiting a bit to see if travel and other restrictions in CA become so draconian that operators are forced to offer refunds, or at least to transfer deposits to another stay.

I’m holding off on canceling in anticipation of a forced grounding of travel. Then there is a force Majeure without question.

I'll keep checking the forum to see what steps you guys are taking with every news update... I may be following your steps also...

Hacienda has had no problem sticking with their 14-day cancellation policy. Had the Weekend been a week or two earlier it would have been a 30-day policy. However if you checked in on the 17th you would be just under the wire. Now I just have to try to either have the airline make some other stipulation for their ticket or figure out how my travel insurance policy that I bought for the trip might cover the plane ticket during this time. I am going to cancel this year because my elderly aunt has been placed in isolation based on symptoms in her assisted living community. Of course, a COVID test is not to be had.

Last year, I sprained my ankle a week before a business trip. I had to cancel my 4 night hotel stay, about $900, which I had prepaid to get a discount. I contacted the hotel to cancel, and when I asked about a refund, the manager said the prepaid rules were very strict, no refunds. I called my credit card bank which had the transaction and I explained my story. They put the charge on hold and did their investigation. It took 3 months but the credit card bank eventually gave me a full credit for the hotel charge. Ever since, that's the credit card I now use most often.

Last year, I sprained my ankle a week before a business trip. I had to cancel my 4 night hotel stay, about $900, which I had prepaid to get a discount. I contacted the hotel to cancel, and when I asked about a refund, the manager said the prepaid rules were very strict, no refunds. I called my credit card bank which had the transaction and I explained my story. They put the charge on hold and did their investigation. It took 3 months but the credit card bank eventually gave me a full credit for the hotel charge. Ever since, that's the credit card I now use most often.

Out of curiosity, which credit card was that? AMEX, Discover, VISA, MC? Thanks for the feedback...

The situation is changing rapily. Dont expect much help from card issuers and travel refunds.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/credit-card-issuers-rankle-travelers-scrambling-to-cancel-trips-11584437401

Credit Card Issuers Rankle Travelers Scrambling to Cancel Trips

By AnnaMaria Andriotis

March 17, 2020 5:30 am ET

Customers are flooding credit-card companies with requests for refunds on trips they no longer want to take as the coronavirus spreads. Many are finding they are still on the hook for at least some of the costs.

Card issuers are scrambling to respond, with many tweaking refund policies along the way. Customers say they have had to wait hours on the phone to talk to customer-service representatives.

Card issuers have been lenient with refunding customers who can no longer travel because they have personally contracted coronavirus. But many customers simply don’t want to travel as the virus spreads, both out of health concerns and because many of the places they planned to visit are closed.

Sometimes customers are going first to airlines or other travel providers, where the response has been mixed. Airlines are working with travelers who were booked to fly to destinations where the companies have all but canceled flights; they are generally offering more limited flexibility to others.

The travel issues are hitting rewards credit cards, where many customers could absorb the financial hit of paying for a canceled trip. But the cards, many of which charge high annual fees, often boast about superior customer service and travel-related perks, and banks are in tight competition for these wealthier customers.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Have you reached out to a credit card company during this global health crisis? What has that experience been like? Join the conversation below.

Some rewards cards have long touted their travel insurance, which helps cardholders get refunds when they need to cancel trips. Card issuers and networks typically partner with third-party insurers to provide this.

Many consumers rarely consider it, instead often comparing cards based on sign-up bonus points or access to airport lounges.

In recent years, large issuers including Citigroup Inc. and Discover Financial Services DFS -2.64% have removed this benefit. Roughly 20% of credit cards offered trip-cancellation insurance last year, compared with 36% in 2015, according to consumer-finance website WalletHub.com’s review of general-purpose cards originated by large issuers.

Most policies have limitations. For example, they often allow refunds if customers are so sick they can’t travel, or because of severe weather. But they often don’t cover flight changes made by airlines or other travel operators.

Card issuers including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and American Express Co. in many cases are telling cardholders they don’t qualify because the policies generally don’t cover pandemics or epidemics, customers said.

<div data-xf-p="1" data-src="2AE4BEEE-CB02-4D4B-98F9-A17FF9427FB1" data-src="https://m.wsj.net/video/20200316/031720virusspread/031720virusspread_1280x720.jpg"><div data-xf-p="1"><span>How the New Coronavirus Became a Global Pandemic</span></div></div></div></div></div></div>On Dec. 1, 2019, a patient in Wuhan, China, started showing symptoms of what doctors determined was a new coronavirus. Since then, the virus has spread to infect more than 100,000 people. Here’s how the virus grew to a global pandemic. Photo illustration: Carter McCall/WSJ

People who are infected with the virus or are placed under quarantine by a physician often can get reimbursed, customers said. Those who are grounding themselves often aren’t covered, customers said.

After his university canceled a class trip to Sweden, graduate student Oscar Pearson of California said he called JPMorgan and asked for the travel insurance on his Sapphire Reserve card to reimburse the roughly $750 he had spent on airfare. The bank told him the card’s benefit didn’t cover the coronavirus, he said.

Mr. Pearson, 26, said he explained the trip was canceled because of the virus and that the university had made that decision. He already had reached out to the online travel site where he booked the flight. It offered him a partial credit that involved a rebooking fee, which he didn’t take.

His university recently told students it would reimburse them if they can’t get refunded any other way.

Some frustrated consumers are filing so-called merchant disputes, a process typically reserved for fraudulent purchases.

Kristal May of Salt Lake City canceled a trip to Seattle after her employer recommended against traveling. When she contacted the hotel, it declined to refund her booking of roughly $540.

Ms. May had charged the hotel stay on her AmEx Platinum card, so she called AmEx to ask about getting refunded through the card’s travel insurance. She said AmEx referred her to its insurance provider, which told her coronavirus wasn’t covered unless she already had the virus and was under quarantine.

She submitted a merchant dispute, though she said an AmEx agent told her she could expect to be denied.

Ms. May, 36, said she signed up for the Platinum card in January after hearing positive reviews about its customer service from friends. “I expected this to be a no-brainer,” she said.

Some card issuers have been more flexible about returning points.

In early February, Leandro Petracca, 33, of San Francisco booked a two-week trip to Italy, Austria, Hungary and Morocco. He and his husband were aware of the coronavirus and decided they would be safer traveling to Europe than Asia. He charged more than $10,000 of hotels, airfare and train rides on his Sapphire Reserve card and redeemed 300,000 points for the trip.

About three weeks ago, Mr. Petracca called JPMorgan to ask for help canceling his trip. He said the bank transferred him to a third-party insurance company, which told him coronavirus wasn’t covered.

After some wrangling with JPMorgan, the bank returned the 300,000 points, Mr. Petracca said. He also contacted the airlines and hotels, which refunded him for most of his purchases. He remains on the hook for $1,200.

A couple of months ago, Mike Cardente, 42, of Corona, Calif., booked a $3,000, seven-day cruise along the Mexican Riviera for his family.

Mr. Cardente has cancer and is wary of traveling while coronavirus spreads. He recently tried and failed to get refunded by Carnival Corp. and the travel agency that he booked the tickets through, he said. After that, he filed a dispute withCapital One Financial Corp.

Carnival has been suspending some of its cruises. A spokesman said Monday that Mr. Cardente is eligible for a full refund if he cancels his dispute.