Hugh Jackman to Star in ‘Music Man’ on Broadway

edjames
This topic is 824 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Moving right along, Hugh is on tour and is booked into huge arenas. He played Madison Square Garden Friday night and the review was "so-so"....he was upstaged by Keala Settle, who, according to the Times review, blew the roof off the house! In other times, I probably would have gotten a ticket but I hate arena shows/concerts. I'll wait for the Music Man.

Review: Hugh Jackman Isn’t Quite the Greatest Showman in an Arena

His world tour “The Man. The Music. The Show.” stopped at Madison Square Garden. But it would have been better on Broadway.

Hugh Jackman is a shape-shifting master of showbiz: as the big-screen Wolverine, ripped and brooding; as a charismatic song-and-dance man, ripped and Broadway.

Arena concert tours, though, are their own special beast, and in the vastness of Madison Square Garden on Friday night, where he performed with a 22-piece orchestra and a team of acrobatic dancers, he never did fit all those thousands of fans in the palm of his hand.

“We’re going to get to know each other a little better by the end of the night,” Mr. Jackman promised a couple of numbers in, before he cast off the jacket and bow tie that went with his body-hugging tux pants.

But for all his razzle-dazzle over two and a half hardworking hours— starting with a pair of percussive pop numbers from the 2017 movie musical “The Greatest Showman,” in which he starred as P.T. Barnum — there was an inescapable sense of being kept at a distance, of Mr. Jackman holding himself in reserve.

He was a little awkward speaking about his own life, even in scripted patter; slipping into a character’s skin, he appeared much more at ease. But he also seemed conquered by the scale of the room, uncertain how to make the electric connection of live performance when so many of us were so far away. Fortunately — even thrillingly — he had some guest artists who knew how to pull that off.

The tour, titled “The Man. The Music. The Show.,” touched down at the Garden for three performances and continues across the United States before heading to Mr. Jackman’s native Australia in August and returning to North America in October. Packed with musical highlights from his idiosyncratic career, it borrows from two of his stage shows, “The Boy From Oz” — for which he won a 2004 Tony Award as the Australian composer and entertainer Peter Allen, a high-camp role he also inhabits here — and “Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway.”

It draws most rewardingly, though, from “The Greatest Showman,” and from his relationship with that film’s songwriters, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.

The night’s first moving moment arrived with a song from their Tony-winning musical “Dear Evan Hansen.” With Mr. Jackman playing piano at the start of “You Will Be Found,” the number deepened into a startling gorgeousness when the New York City Gay Men’s Chorus joined him onstage. (Having already performed a tribute to his wife, plucking her out of the audience for a couple of kisses, Mr. Jackman identified himself emphatically as an ally.)

“A Million Dreams,” sung in “The Greatest Showman” on a rooftop amid a field of billowing bedsheets, has been beautifully translated for the stage, with choreography by Warren Carlyle (who is also the show’s director) that includes lyrics performed in American Sign Language.

But “This Is Me,” the movie’s Oscar-nominated anthem, proved the evening’s one true blazing number. With Mr. Paul at the piano and Mr. Pasek onstage nearby,

— who played Lettie, the bearded lady, in the film — entered in a sparkling jumpsuit and set the arena on fire through the force of her voice and presence.

Mr. Jackman never reached that level. With jumbo screens flanking the stage, he seemed to play less to the audience than to the cameras that tracked him. It was like watching the taping of a movie musical or variety show.

In close-ups on those screens, Mr. Jackman sometimes looked like a man feeling the pure joy of performing music he loves. But he also had red-rimmed eyes; if that was a sign of fatigue, who could blame him? Physically, the show is hugely demanding, which could be why he at times came across as rotely professional. Maybe he was rationing his energy.

The disconnect made me wish I were nearer — and in that sense, this show is a superb advertisement for the intimacy of Broadway. You’d never feel so far away in one of its theaters. Luckily, Mr. Jackman is scheduled to return there next year in “The Music Man.” It’s a safe bet that we’ll feel his considerable magnetism then, turned up to its full power.

It does truly take a unique performer to really play such a huge venue - just as it also takes a very specific kind of performer who can connect to a very small intimate audience (a cabaret setting, for instance). Popular and talented as Jackman is, I'm almost not surprised that this isn't quite the right fit for him.

I'm hoping The Music Man works for him. I'm still surprised that somehow it turned out to be a bad fit for Dick Van Dyke, who in my mind, seemed so right for that role. (I didn't see that production, but the reviews were truly bad.) I tended to feel that Craig Bierko in the last revival was stuck in Robert Preston's shadow - understandable if a little disappointing - though he was still very good. I'll be interested to see how Jackman does.

The casting of Hugh Jackman was a business decision, not a creative one. Producers want to be assured that the show will sell as many tickets as possible and every seat is occupied (by full price, if not premium price customers). Jackman has a global reputation and will attract not only NYer's but tourists because of his stage and movie roles. He is a marquee name star. Finally, he still has legions of female fans who will wet themselves silly watching him up on stage. And, who knows, I bet he, and his wife, have a big piece of the action.

From numerous postings I've read in these fora, I imagine his legions of male fans will also wet themselves silly watching him up on stage. :D

"The Music Man" is one of those musicals that I have seen so often, that I didn't think I could sit through it again; but the Goodman Theatre in Chicago is doing a big revival this summer and I am chomping at the bit again to see it. That might me that I will have to trek off to NYC to see it with Jackman as well.

• 2 months later...

Tickets went on sale this morning for "The Music Man," which opens one year from now. I looked for a ticket for the matinee (no evening performance) for Dec. 24, 2020. A ticket in row M center orchestra costs $350 + 15 service charge. A ticket in the last row can be had for more than $200.

ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME? Plenty of people have bought these seats, and also shelled out for the "premium" seats

for $450. I hope they like the show, and I know that I will not be missed.

I bought my ticket last night and the process took no more than 5 minutes. I didn't bother trying the minute they went on sale. It seems odd having tickets go on sale a year prior.

I was hoping for Laura Osnes for Marian as well. I like Sutton Foster, so I don't mind. I got to see Kate Baldwin as Marian in Arena Stage's production a few years ago. She was wonderful.

Tickets went on sale this morning for "The Music Man," which opens one year from now. I looked for a ticket for the matinee (no evening performance) for Dec. 24, 2020. A ticket in row M center orchestra costs $350 + 15 service charge. A ticket in the last row can be had for more than $200.

ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME? Plenty of people have bought these seats, and also shelled out for the "premium" seats

for $450. I hope they like the show, and I know that I will not be missed.

They got it for Dolly. They're getting it for Moulin Rouge.

Welcome to the new Broadway. I say that shaking my head.

It seems fitting for a show where the leading male tries to bilk a community for things like band instruments that no one really learns to play well, etc.

I'm sure many Jackman fans will shell out the bucks. And if the show gets great reviews, more will do the same. I'll wait for the tour and be happy with cheap seats (but still full view ones, like the ones I got for the Dolly tour recently) at the Boston Opera House, lol.

(I have already told my story about my friend who unwittingly got cheated out of a lot of money for seats to Mouin Rouge in Boston by going to the wrong ticket site. I do wish I had offered to get seats - I think I could have gotten them for much cheaper.)

• 1 month later...

Ticket prices for some Broadway shows have gone through the roof.

I'll be damned if I'll spend $300 or $400 dollars for a ticket.

My budget cannot support those prices and the seats aren't that good.

For that money, I expect to sit on Hugh's lap, or he on mine.

Went online yesterday to take a look and the seat section and prices haven't changed since I last looked about a month ago.

I did get a reasonably priced ticket and center orch seat for Tina for a lot less.

This year I'm being more discriminating than usual. I'm tired of dementia, Alzheimers, AIDS, death, divorce and all these shows about teenage angst. Given the state of the world, I'm lookin for uplifting, funny and more enjoyable topics.

I've supplemented my calendar with concerts and other events that were less expensive.

It's Steve's (Sondheim) 90th birthday, so I'm off to Zankel Hall next week for a tribute show by Michael Feinstein. Ticket price..$100.

Also, New Year's Eve and the NYPhil will be honoring Steve and I picked up a ticket for that event.

• 1 year later...

Given all the recent news on the way Scott Rudin abused/tortured/yelled at his underlings, do any of you still plan to go see The Music Man? I'm not even sure at this point if Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster will agree to be in it if Scott Rudin hangs on.

Given all the recent news on the way Scott Rudin abused/tortured/yelled at his underlings, do any of you still plan to go see The Music Man? I'm not even sure at this point if Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster will agree to be in it if Scott Rudin hangs on.

It seems to me that Rudin is out, or on his way out, or will be very discouraged to have any sort of tangential participation. From what I understand, Jackman and Foster are still involved.

It seems to me that Rudin is out, or on his way out, or will be very discouraged to have any sort of tangential participation. From what I understand, Jackman and Foster are still involved.

Too bad Bert Parks isn't still alive to play the lead role again, following Robert Preston

Ticket prices for some Broadway shows have gone through the roof.

I'll be damned if I'll spend $300 or $400 dollars for a ticket.

My budget cannot support those prices and the seats aren't that good.

For that money, I expect to sit on Hugh's lap, or he on mine.

Went online yesterday to take a look and the seat section and prices haven't changed since I last looked about a month ago.

I did get a reasonably priced ticket and center orch seat for Tina for a lot less.

This year I'm being more discriminating than usual. I'm tired of dementia, Alzheimers, AIDS, death, divorce and all these shows about teenage angst. Given the state of the world, I'm lookin for uplifting, funny and more enjoyable topics.

I've supplemented my calendar with concerts and other events that were less expensive.

It's Steve's (Sondheim) 90th birthday, so I'm off to Zankel Hall next week for a tribute show by Michael Feinstein. Ticket price..$100.

Also, New Year's Eve and the NYPhil will be honoring Steve and I picked up a ticket for that event.

@edjames last posted in March, 2020. I sure miss his commentary and hope that he is okay.

Correct according this article in Playbill:

Upcoming The Music Man Star Sutton Foster on Producer Scott Rudin 'Stepping Back' | Playbill

• 3 weeks later...

Soon they may call the musical The Music Grandfather. If Jackman plays the role. Now that Mr Jackman has blasted Mr Scott Rudin

Not exactly sure what you meant by having to call the show "The Music Grandfather" if "Jackman plays the role" (have a feeling you didn't). For a grandfather (not sure his kids are old enough) he is still looking pretty damn good.

actor-hugh-jackman-is-seen-in-soho-on-october-2-2020-in-new-york-city-picture-id1228852508?s=2048x2048

Not exactly sure what you meant by having to call the show "The Music Grandfather" if "Jackman plays the role" (have a feeling you didn't). For a grandfather (not sure his kids are old enough) he is still looking pretty damn good.

I know Jackman plays the role. Jeez.

Soon they may call the musical The Music Grandfather. If Jackman plays the role. Now that Mr Jackman has blasted Mr Scott Rudin

Wasn't Robert Preston almost 40 when he created the role on broadway? Jackman is 52 and looks younger. I still think Seth McFalrane would be amazing in the role, but I don't see Jackman's age as an issue in this role. there is also only 7 years between him and Sutton Foster, so again I don't see the problem

Wasn't Robert Preston almost 40 when he created the role on broadway? Jackman is 52 and looks younger. I still think Seth McFalrane would be amazing in the role, but I don't see Jackman's age as an issue in this role. there is also only 7 years between him and Sutton Foster, so again I don't see the problem

Hugh Jackman is ok if you like talent, but I would prefer Seth MacFarlane much more. I wasn't a fan of Jackman in The Boy from Oz

Edited by WilliamM

Interesting that William brought up Annie Get Your Gun. because to me, both that and the Music Man have age issues with the female lead. Annie's siblings (always played by kids) really do have to feel like her siblings, not her children. Likewise, Marian needs to seem young enough that we do see 10-year old Winthrop as her brother, not her son - and likewise, Mrs. Paroo should be seen as young enough that Winthrop is credibly her son, not her grandson.