Hugh Jackman to Star in ‘Music Man’ on Broadway

edjames
This topic is 852 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Today's NYTimes reports:

Hugh Jackman to Star in ‘Music Man’ on Broadway

Hugh Jackman is returning to Broadway next year in a revival of “The Music Man.”

Mr. Jackman teased the idea via Twitter on Tuesday, and on Wednesday the producer Scott Rudin announced a run, which he said would begin previews Sept. 9, 2020, and open on Oct. 22, 2020 at an unspecified Shubert theater.

Mr. Jackman, 50, has appeared on Broadway four times. In 2004, he won a Tony Award as best actor in a musical for “The Boy from Oz,” and in 2012 he was granted a special, noncompetitive, Tony for his professional and volunteer efforts in the Broadway community.

“The Music Man,” with book, music and lyrics by Meredith Willson, first opened on Broadway in 1957. Mr. Jackman will play Harold Hill, a scam artist who pretends to be a musician and makes money selling instruments and uniforms to boys aspiring to be part of a band in River City, Iowa.

The original production won the 1958 Tony Award for best musical, besting “West Side Story.” There was a brief revival at City Center in 1980 starring Dick Van Dyke, and a longer-lived revival, starring Craig Bierko, that opened in 2000.

No further casting was announced for the new revival, which will be directed by Jerry Zaks and choreographed by Warren Carlyle, who collaborated on a 2017 revival of “Hello, Dolly!” that was also produced by Mr. Rudin.

The “Music Man” announcement was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

Sure to be a hit. I think he's perfect for the role and this is a musical with a great score.

Not a huge Hugh Jackman fan.

I agree he’s one-note on stage....and it’s a boring note at that.

Nonetheless, this will be “must see” Broadway.

Got to meet him in real life on a seemingly endless 15 hour flight.

In person, he was charming.....and HUGE.

The casting of Hugh Jackman was a business decision, not a creative one. Producers want to be assured that the show will sell as many tickets as possible and every seat is occupied (by full price, if not premium price customers). Jackman has a global reputation and will attract not only NYer's but tourists because of his stage and movie roles. He is a marquee name star. Finally, he still has legions of female fans who will wet themselves silly watching him up on stage. And, who knows, I bet he, and his wife, have a big piece of the action.

The casting of Hugh Jackman was a business decision, not a creative one. Producers want to be assured that the show will sell as many tickets as possible and every seat is occupied (by full price, if not premium price customers). Jackman has a global reputation and will attract not only NYer's but tourists because of his stage and movie roles. He is a marquee name star. Finally, he still has legions of female fans who will wet themselves silly watching him up on stage. And, who knows, I bet he, and his wife, have a big piece of the action.

No doubt. And I agree with Rudin for this move... Very, very smart. Equally as smart as his decision to put Bette in Dolly.

For what it costs to mount a show on Broadway now, I can't fault producers for wanting as close to a sure bet as possible.

No doubt. And I agree with Rudin for this move... Very, very smart. Equally as smart as his decision to put Bette in Dolly.

For what it costs to mount a show on Broadway now, I can't fault producers for wanting as close to a sure bet as possible.

I like Hugh Jackman when he is the co-star as in the "Carousel" concert at Carnegie Hall with Audra McDonald.

Obviously, a revival of "I Do! I Do!" would not sell as many tickets. Too bad. Wonderful Original cast: Robert Preston and Mary Martin.

Edited by WilliamM

Obviously, a revival of "I Do! I Do!" would not sell as many tickets. Too bad.

I don't think Jackman wouldn't have the acting range for the role in I Do, regardless.

The problem with casting Marian is that she is supposed to be fairly young. Barbara Cook was 30 when the show premiered - I daresay that even that is a bit old for the actual character. (Remember that young Winthrop is her brother, not her son, and Mrs. Paroo can't really feel like a grandma yet - though I'm sure we've all seen productions where this was the case.

Preston was almost 40 to Cook's 30, which I'm sure worked fine. But Sutton is 44, which to me is way too old for Marian in any situation. In fact, given our current crop of reliable leading ladies on Broadway, they're all a bit too old for the role. Not that that will stop any of them from being cast, I'm sure.

The Sutton Foster suggestion is a rumor on the Broadway World chat rooms-how much credence it has is debatable, but nothing would surprise me.....Jackman is 50 however.....

Yes but a 50 year old man creeping after a 25 year old seems to work just fine in the theatre

Edited by RealAvalon

Foster doesn't have the right voice for the role. She'd be equally as annoying to listen to as Jackman, as she can also come off as very one-note.

Osnes isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't deny she would sing the hell out of the role.

My real pick for Marian is Kate Baldwin. She would own those songs. Her voice is magical.

Foster doesn't have the right voice for the role. She'd be equally as annoying to listen to as Jackman, as she can also come off as very one-note.

Osnes isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't deny she would sing the hell out of the role.

My real pick for Marian is Kate Baldwin. She would own those songs. Her voice is magical.

I can and I will...... (sorry Benjamin, she has yet to impress me as anything more than generic/bland and have seen her in several roles.) I love Kate Baldwin as an actress, but have only heard her belt, and I prefer Marian as a proper soprano.

I can and I will...... (sorry Benjamin, she has yet to impress me as anything more than generic/bland and have seen her in several roles.) I love Kate Baldwin as an actress, but have only heard her belt, and I prefer Marian as a proper soprano.

I love Kate Baldwin as an actress, but have only heard her belt, and I prefer Marian as a proper soprano.

As I said, she sang Amalia in Boston, with a very proper soprano high B in "Ice Cream." Marian as written doesn't even go that high, lol. She'd be vocally perfect for the role.

I love Kate Baldwin as an actress, but have only heard her belt, and I prefer Marian as a proper soprano.

As I said, she sang Amalia in Boston, with a very proper soprano high B in "Ice Cream." Marian as written doesn't even go that high, lol. She'd be vocally perfect for the role.