How Much Cash Should One Carry?

Avalon
This topic is 2017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the radio just now they said according to Money Magazine one should carry $200 in cash including $20 in five dollar bills so to be able to tip.

ATM are available throughout Western Europe, and mostly all countries accept American Express credit cards for modern hotel rooms. Some Russian hotels also accept American Express.

Also $10.00 in ones in your front pocket for the homeless as you walk down the streets.:)

When I was approached for money I told people the location of the local welfare department and Catholic church.

Back in the 80s I had a friend who lived in Los Angeles who kept spare change handy. She would often be approached by someone when she was parking her car and was afraid if she refused that when came back out of the store that she would find her car had been damaged,

I know many see my giving money to them as promoting them staying on the street and perhaps that is true but I can't walk back to my warm home without trying to help them right that minute to get some food or a warm place to stay. Many know of the shelters and charities but some aren't of the right mind to take those steps they need to help themselves. Too many personal and private stories I need not share with the world which back up my actions but in my mind I know I am doing what I need to do.

I know many see my giving money to them as promoting them staying on the street and perhaps that is true but I can't walk back to my warm home without trying to help them right that minute to get some food or a warm place to stay. Many know of the shelters and charities but some aren't of the right mind to take those steps they need to help themselves. Too many personal and private stories I need not share with the world which back up my actions but in my mind I know I am doing what I need to do.

In my teens I had a job at a donut shop. One night a "bum" came in asking for free coffee. I gave him the largest cup there was plus a maple bar. Later I saw that he had only taken a couple sips of coffee and a few bites of the bar. He had put the bar in the coffee cup. I learned my lesson.

Not to personally give. That's why I tell people where the welfare department is and the Catholic parish. They are well better prepared to help people than I am.

So if he had drunk all the coffee, ate all the maple bar and come up and thanked you afterwards you would feel differently about personally giving to others?

So if he had drunk all the coffee, ate all the maple bar and come up and thanked you afterwards you would feel differently about personally giving to others?

No thanks was necessary. Just finish what he was given. It was like he rejected my help.

Being retired, carrying money when I go out depends on my purpose. I no longer have a daily routine of commuting, spending 9+hours somewhere, and commuting home, or traveling to another city. Since I put all my purchases on a credit car for points, I sometimes go weeks with just a couple of dollars in my wallet if nothing special is going on. And, then sometimes, I make sure I have enough for the hourly rate, tips, cab fare or parking if needed, and a drink or two at the bar.

I tend to carry more cash when I'm traveling than when I'm at home. I just returned from three weeks in France and I carried more cash than usual rather than frequently looking for the sister bank to mine which charged less per transaction.

If I give money to a homeless individual I'm NOT concerned how they use it. I am only concerned with my motives.

A guy walks into a bar with an ostrich and a cat. He sits at the bar and says he'll have a beer. The ostrich says the same, and the cat says he'll have the same, BUT he isn't going to pay for it. Bartender says that will be$16.46. The guy reaches into his pocket and pulls out exactly $16.46. Next week, same bar, same trio. This time he orders single malt scotch. Ostrich has the same as does the cat, BUT he isn't going to pay for it. Tab comes to $31.81. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out exactly $31.81. Bartender asks how he does it. He says years ago he was granted three wishes. Most people would ask for a million dollars and blow it quickly. Rather he asked that anytime he had to pay for something, no mater how expensive, all he had to do was reach into his pocket and voila! Bartender asked what his other two wishes were. He replied, a chick with long legs and a tight pussy.