Waldorf Salad

Avalon
This topic is 1941 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard holiday fare at out house when I was a kid. My father always made it for Thanksgiving and Christmas - no other time. We loved it. A few years ago, I wondered if people would like it and took it to a Thanksgiving potluck. Instead of mayo, I made a blue cheese dressing for it and added green grapes. Reaction was mixed. Most really liked it. Some obviously didn't like it at all. I wasn't surprised by the people who didn't like it - distinctly meat-and-potatoes types.

I watched that episode of the Kids are Alright last night. 1st episode I watched. Set in the 70's is a Catholic couple with 8 kids. Lots of catholic guilt. I could relate to both the catholic angle and growing up in the 70's and enjoyed the show and will probably go back and watch the first few episodes.

I watched that episode of the Kids are Alright last night. 1st episode I watched. Set in the 70's is a Catholic couple with 8 kids. Lots of catholic guilt. I could relate to both the catholic angle and growing up in the 70's and enjoyed the show and will probably go back and watch the first few episodes.

This was only the second episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kids_Are_Alright_(TV_series)

Standard holiday fare at out house when I was a kid. My father always made it for Thanksgiving and Christmas - no other time. We loved it. A few years ago, I wondered if people would like it and took it to a Thanksgiving potluck. Instead of mayo, I made a blue cheese dressing for it and added green grapes. Reaction was mixed. Most really liked it. Some obviously didn't like it at all. I wasn't surprised by the people who didn't like it - distinctly meat-and-potatoes types.

Blue cheese can be very polarizing.

I have made this salad a few times with an herbed mayo. Lemon juice helps thin the mayo and adds a nice zing.

It’s actually one of my favorites. Although, in full disclosure, I’ve been accused more than once of liking “old lady food” just on principle. ;)

That's not old lady food. When I was a little kid, my mother used to have a few friends over for a ladies' lunch occasionally. She always served chicken a la king in puff paste shells. Now THAT's old lady food.

Being an old lady, made fresh chicken a la king in puff pastry can be delicious. It takes a lot of time to make.

I wasn't saying it wasn't good. It's just the sort of fussy food you would imagine old ladies having for lunch in the restaurant at Neiman's, with tea of course and petit-fours for dessert.