Saunas at the Gym

Chad Constantine
This topic is 2050 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a workout I used to love to do the traditional sauna experience-- sit in the heat until you were perspiring freely, then a cold shower, then back in to work up a sweat, then another cold shower, and so on. It gave me a real endorphin rush and relieved any soreness from the workout. The wet heat of the steam room was relaxing and more comfortable but the sauna had more of an effect. I have developed mild rosacea, though, and heat triggers it, I turn red as a lobster and it lasts for over a day. So no sauna for me these days, and lukewarm showers only.

Is it normal to go in with gallon jugs of water? How long should one stay in a steam room?

Well, if you're going to be in there for any length of time, you want to make sure you don't get dehydrated (which can be dangerous if taken to an extreme). I would question why anyone would need to stay in a sauna so long that you'd sweat out a gallon of water, though.

Then again, there are a lot of people who do mind-boggling things because "toxins," etc.

After a workout I used to love to do the traditional sauna experience-- sit in the heat until you were perspiring freely, then a cold shower, then back in to work up a sweat, then another cold shower, and so on. It gave me a real endorphin rush and relieved any soreness from the workout. The wet heat of the steam room was relaxing and more comfortable but the sauna had more of an effect. I have developed mild rosacea, though, and heat triggers it, I turn red as a lobster and it lasts for over a day. So no sauna for me these days, and lukewarm showers only.

How long did you do the back and forth of it 20 min-30 min or more. Isn't it harder to sweat in the dry sauna compared to steam room or is it about the same?

Well, if you're going to be in there for any length of time, you want to make sure you don't get dehydrated (which can be dangerous if taken to an extreme). I would question why anyone would need to stay in a sauna so long that you'd sweat out a gallon of water, though.

Then again, there are a lot of people who do mind-boggling things because "toxins," etc.

When I saw that I figured maybe he was waiting around for someone to play with him. So after getting super awkward I rushed out of there.

How long did you do the back and forth of it 20 min-30 min or more. Isn't it harder to sweat in the dry sauna compared to steam room or is it about the same?

Certainly no more than 30, probably more like 20 usually. You actually sweat more in the sauna, although the moist air of the steam room fools youinto thinking you're sweating. After a few minutes in a hot enough sauna you start to sweat profusely.

Certainly no more than 30, probably about 20 minutes most of the time. You actually sweat more in the sauna but the moist air of the steam room fools you into thinking you're seating. After a few minutes in a hot enough sauna you start to sweat profusely.

That makes sense since your body is colder than the steam it probably transitions the water back into a liquid. How do you regulate the heat in a dry sauna? I saw in the steam room guys pouring water on the radiator of sorts. Do you do the same in a dry sauna.

That makes sense since your body is colder than the steam it probably transitions the water back into a liquid. How do you regulate the heat in a dry sauna? I saw in the steam room guys pouring water on the radiator of sorts. Do you do the same in a dry sauna.

There's usually a thermostat somewhere to set the temperature, although some places don't have it accessible to anyone but the staff. Yes, people pour water on the heater to give a blast of hot steam-- and if there are others in the sauna they sometimes complain! Just like humidity during the summer the steamy air makes it feel even hotter.

There's usually a thermostat somewhere to set the temperature, although some places don't have it accessible to anyone but the staff. Yes, people pour water on the heater to give a blast of hot steam-- and if there are others in the sauna they sometimes complain! Just like humidity during the summer the steamy air makes it feel even hotter.

Is the thermostat usually found inside or outside the dry sauna?

Dry Saunas and SteamRooms trigger my asthma. The hot tub, after a hard winter's swim or a day snowboarding or both, is perfection. That's me, People swear by the Dry Sauna and Steam Rooms, so I bet it will help you a lot.

:eek:Winter swim!?! Your a polar bear club member? I love skiing and if they have an indoor Jacuzzi in the hotel that is nice.

I usually don't have that much time to go back and forth from steam room to sauna. It usually takes me about 2 hours (changing, working out, cooling down, abs, shower and changing) at the gym in the morning before I go to work. So, i don't have the luxury of more than 10 minutes in the sauna or less.

There is a fruit-infused water station next to the sauna and steam room. I think for the dry sauna, they advise no longer than 10 minutes.

Really is that in all gyms or just yours. At NYSC they are just surrounded by showers and I usually see some elders drinking from the fountain and going back to either the steam room or the dry sauna.

I usually don't have that much time to go back and forth from steam room to sauna. It usually takes me about 2 hours (changing, working out, cooling down, abs, shower and changing) at the gym in the morning before I go to work. So, i don't have the luxury of more than 10 minutes in the sauna or less.

You dont do a warm up? Why is abs after cool down? You work out about 1.5 hrs?

I certainly didn't do that all the time, maybe on the weekend when I had the time.

I only will use a sauna or a hot tub if I'm the only one there. I was disappointed in my last hot tub experience because I had hair removal work done and the waxing man said no hot tub, as it would irritate the skin. The only guy in there was the hot looking and flirtatious attendant who told me to be comfortable in any level of undress.