Saunas at the Gym

Chad Constantine
This topic is 2064 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

@Chad Constantine I installed a sauna in my home last year. It’s dry with coals that I can pour water on for humidity.

I find it remarkably therapeutic in winter. Sometimes, I feel a need for dry heat (sore muscles and relaxation) and others for wet heat (a sweating detox of sorts). If I feel crud coming on, I rationalize that the elevated body temp is “fighting the bug” but I don’t know if that’s a proven fact.

I set mine on 170° to 190° and I doubt that public saunas would allow that. But anything less just doesn’t do it for me

While mine is built in, there are modular units big enough for one person readily available on the internet at affordable prices

What are the highest temperatures that most gyms are set for? What made you decide to build your own dry heat sauna in your home? I have heard a lot of people say they go into the steam room when they have a bug to get rid of it. Though I am assuming you would have to rush straight into the shower so your not frozen when you leave the steam room.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Downtown Athletic Club in NYC had a cold plunge twix the steam room and the showers. I loved it. But then again I grew up going to the beach in Maine where the water temperature rarely got above 65. Lol

A cold plunge twix what is that? Is that like some kind of ice bath? I dont know if it is the same but I used to love going into a Jacuzzi and the jumping into the pool. It is both refreshing and freezing at the same time.

I only will use a sauna or a hot tub if I'm the only one there. I was disappointed in my last hot tub experience because I had hair removal work done and the waxing man said no hot tub, as it would irritate the skin. The only guy in there was the hot looking and flirtatious attendant who told me to be comfortable in any level of undress.

Oh really I have never had a problem going into a Jacuzzi with other people though I also never got propositioned like that before :D. I get that way in the steam room though I guess it is because I can not see a thing and all I hear is heavy breathing for the most part.

I don’t rush to the shower. Quite the opposite. Also following Chinese medicine protocol, I’ll often follow with a cold shower.

Why’d I do it? Accessibility. In the winter, I’ll use it twice a day. And it’s MY space where the dogs can’t go...

Are you a CHM practitioner? If you don't mind what are those protocols? I wish I could have one in my home I would probably end up falling asleep in it though. I only like winter when it is snowing otherwise I could do without freezing during the winter.

One gym I used to work out at had a men's wet sauna. I used it sometimes when my back was tight after workout it out. I would lay on my back on the hot ceramic tiles and it felt great. And sometimes, an older Vietnamese guy would bring oils to mist the air with - some were great smelling.

It is okay to lay on the tiles in the steam room? What scented oils did you like?

No, I’m not a practitioner but embrace some aspects of Chinese Medicine. Herbal solutions have generally not helped me, but acupuncture has. My acupuncturist introduces me to other aspects.

What other aspects are there besides the herbal remedies? Do you mean like cupping and moxinustion?

Is the follow up of a cold shower similar to how they say you should not drink cold beverages?

it's not always so steamy that you can't see. Mostly face-shaving, although there was a guy there who'd shave his balls in the steam room.

I can understand going in the steam room to open your pores this way it is easier to shave but really inside is to much plus there would be a higher chance of getting those microcuts infected with some bacteria since high heats are their friend. Plus how are you cleaning the blade just sounds crazy.

Yesterday, I saw a man with a large belly in the dry sauna rubbing some ointment all over himself.

Really that makes no sense since usually they say to keep cream a room temp or colder. So dumb plus the bacteria is going to spread worse not less. Why would you contaminate a dry sauna and make others susceptible to catching your skin problems? Some people are just....

Really that makes no sense since usually they say to keep cream a room temp or colder. So dumb plus the bacteria is going to spread worse not less. Why would you contaminate a dry sauna and make others susceptible to catching your skin problems? Some people are just....

Occasionally and long ago, I used to go to the NYHRC on 13th and loved that they had disposable razors and cream in the individual, luxury then, shower cabins. I loved it because it was an acknowledgement that I was not the only one wasting gallons of water on a daily basis in the name of nudity and efficiency.

Occasionally and long ago, I used to go to the NYHRC on 13th and loved that they had disposable razors and cream in the individual, luxury then, shower cabins. I loved it because it was an acknowledgement that I was not the only one wasting gallons of water on a daily basis in the name of nudity and efficiency.

Yea I feel that way when going to one one the gyms I am trying out. They have self locking storage compartments, hair gel, rabies, deodorant, q-tips, etc... Shaving with disposables sometimes suck but free beats buying new blades any day. Lol