Anyone Here A Vegan Or A Vegetarian?

Avalon
This topic is 1934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On CBS this morning they were interviewing the actor who plays "Young Sheldon". He is a vegetarian and his grandmother is a vegan.

When I was a boy my doctor was a Seventh Day Adventist. They are big on vegetarianism. He wanted me to try it. So my mother bought some soy substitutes. It was horrible!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Substituting' is not a path to either being a vegetarian or a vegan. You need to decide on ways that do not call on the use of meat or other animal products. Substituting implies that meat is normal, you can work on the basis that meat just isn't there. I'm not about to do that but that is a separate issue. I'm a white man who lives in Wiradjuri country.

'Substituting' is not a path to either being a vegetarian or a vegan. You need to decide on ways that do not call on the use of meat or other animal products. Substituting implies that meat is normal, you can work on the basis that meat just isn't there. I'm not about to do that but that is a separate issue. I'm a white man who lives in Wiradjuri country.

Thanks I had not considered that before. I could not give up meat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiradjuri

Growing up, my parents believed in feeding us steak everyday. Nowadays, I eat meat (beef, pork, chicken) once a week or rarely. I'm not strictly vegetarian, but i carefully consider what i eat and try to make smart choices. It's more from an ethical standpoint and partially for health reasons. There are so many yummy vegetarian options, that i don't really miss meat. And, when i do eat meat, it does not feel good to me from a physiologic standpoint. Anyhow, I do occasionally go out for chinese dim sum, where i just eat everything as it is hard to be picky in a chinese restaurant.

I go back & forth between being veggie & vegan depending on the season or how busy I am in life. Ideally, would love to be able to maintain a strict vegan diet for the rest of my life, but it can be very time consuming & difficult at times.

Haven't had any type of meat since 2006, don't miss it, don't want it, don't ever want it in my fridge! Especially not these days when it's all loaded with hormones, antibiotics, & other toxic shit...

It's also a moral issue for me, but I'd rather not get into that at this moment :)

Nope! I like meat too much to give it up. I just make sure to source it locally, where I know it had a decent life before it was butchered. I don't eat as much as I used to due to it not being that great for your health in high quantities. So now, I have more eggs, fish, chickpeas, flaxseed, chia seeds, and quinoa for added protein in my diet.

I'll never give up chicken liver, I love it too much.

But doesn't being Vegan involve alot more than just food? Like clothing also - no leather etc..?

It involves everything, that's why I mentioned how time consuming & difficult it is.

This site ----> https://www.happycow.net is a great place for vegans, vegetarians, & anyone else interested in trying out veg/vegan food to visit for restaurant listings, recipes, blogs, reviews, & other stuff.

It involves everything, that's why I mentioned how time consuming & difficult it is.

This site ----> https://www.happycow.net is a great place for vegans, vegetarians, & anyone else interested in trying out veg/vegan food to visit for restaurant listings, recipes, blogs, reviews, & other stuff.

Thanks! A couple of Mexican places near me.

Just curious but can vegans eat cum? It is an animal product after all.

Only half joking.

I am not a vegan; I have some friends and acquaintances who are. I think that part of the moral issue is that cows do not surrender their milk willing and are made to live uncomfortable lives. However, I would venture to say that when you injest somebody's semen, there has to be at least some level of consent, even in "forced" masturbation scenes and that any discomfort on the part of the donor is temporary, and likely even desired . . .

I will note that I have made some awesome vegan cheeses with my powerful VitaMix.

Even once made a blueberry cheesecake to die for out of cashew cheese.

Things like that make me miss my old habits less

Veganism is a mental illness.

Humans are omnivores. All of them...no exceptions to that biology. To convince yourself otherwise is pointless.

As proven by how we chew up our enemies and spit them out in the political forum.:p

Please pass the hummus. :)

Veganism is a mental illness.

Humans are omnivores. All of them...no exceptions to that biology. To convince yourself otherwise is pointless.

My, my, my! You are a stubborn one in your belief system. Stay out of India since there is no tellin' what they may do to you there. I myself am just 90% mentally ill, since I do occasionally eat fish. These days, there are so many soy products that taste enough like chicken, beef and pork that you can sometimes convince yourself that you are mentally sane. My parents gagged me with meat nonstop growing up (and often the bloodier the better was my now deceased mother's motto) and both my sister and I rebelled. They haven't locked her up yet, but I am just one step away from the loony bin.

Edited by longtime lurker

I eat mainly vegetables, fruits and seafood, goat meat and chicken sometimes, bread rarely. Workout 4 to 5 days a week. Cant be vegetarian or vegan because it wouldn't agree with me at all!

I enjoy the occasional vegan meal and if I have a vegetarian or a vegan over to dinner, I'm fine with planning the entire meal around what they need, but I'm the same way - a confirmed omnivore.

I eat mainly vegetables, fruits and seafood, goat meat and chicken sometimes, bread rarely. Workout 4 to 5 days a week. Cant be vegetarian or vegan because it wouldn't agree with me at all!

Goat is good! The mom & pop store I used to walk to the then owner sometimes would make curry goat and share it with me.

This topic is 1934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.