"Gay" or "gay"

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 2062 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How about this one: "Gay" or "gay"?

For Me: "gay" to me is an lighthearted and carefree attitude. "Gay" is a group of people.

"...Take a look up a couple paragraphs where I listed the names applied to a racial minority. Each of those terms is (or was) commonly capitalized. So are other ethnic or racial terms, like Native American, Arab, or Hispanic. Religious and cultural terms such as Jewish, Christian, Taoism, and Suni Moslem are also capitalized. Why shouldn't members of our community be identified as "Gay" instead of just "gay"?

--

I wouldn't capitalise it, I think it's more analogous to black and white which I also wouldn't capitalise when used about race. In general I would use a capital for groups that are described by national or continental origin, but not groups that are described by a characteristic. In English, country names and the derived adjectives (France, French unless for windows) and organised religions are traditionally capitalised. (In French, the adjectives for countries are not.) To add an element of confusion, I wouldn't capitalise indigenous or aboriginal. Except for Aboriginal/Aborigine in Australia which has become a name, not just a description. I don't see gay/Gay as an issue to go to the barricades about, though!

Edited by mike carey

Adjectives and common nouns are not capitalized unless they begin a sentence or are part of an official title (such as The San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center). If we want to start capitalizing "Gay," then for consistency we should capitalize "Straight" when it refers to a person, Bisexual, Queer, Transgender, and so forth.

I'm curious: What is the logic behind capitalizing "Gay?"

Straight, Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian work for me; they're all groups of people. The logic is quoted in the OP with a link to the page.

Adjectives and common nouns are not capitalized unless they begin a sentence or are part of an official title (such as The San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center). If we want to start capitalizing "Gay," then for consistency we should capitalize "Straight" when it refers to a person, Bisexual, Queer, Transgender, and so forth.

I'm curious: What is the logic behind capitalizing "Gay?"

I could be mistaken (I'm no grammarian and it's been a LONG time since I studied English), but many of the capitalized adjectives listed in your quote come from -- or have in them -- proper names.

Jew comes comes from YHWH, the name of the Jewish diety. (Note: there are only "upper case" letters in Hebrew...no lower case.)

Christian comes form Christ.

Names of countries/continents are proper names/nouns, and words made from them carry over their capitalization.

Therefore, African American (not african american). Hispanic (derived from Spain). Native American (one of the first peoples) to distinguish from native American (someone who was born here).

I'm too far removed from Elementary school to remember other rules regarding capitalization....any English/language arts teachers out there?

I could be mistaken (I'm no grammarian and it's been a LONG time since I studied English), but many of the capitalized adjectives listed in your quote come from -- or have in them -- proper names....

Right. Proper names are capitalized. As you stated, African American is a proper name that refers to an American (proper name derived from a proper noun) who is of African (proper name derived from a proper noun) descent. I'm of German and Polish ancestry (and maybe more - let's see what my DNA test reveals) so I can be classified as a German American, Polish American, and/or European American. We also call people of my skin tone "white." We would call me and others who look like me "white American," i.e. "white" is a common noun (so it is not capitalized) and "American" is a proper noun (so it is capitalized).

Somewhat distant from the above I have often wondered if a Caucasian child who is born to Caucasian parents living in an African at the time of his/her birth -- is the child African American?

South Africans, sometimes mischievously, have claimed this. After all, Afrikaners have been in Africa for as long as African-Americans have been in the Americas. (And what does Afrikaner mean?)