So annoying!

FrankR
This topic is 2083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have always felt sorry for children who misbehave in restaurants. It is really the asshole parents who are to blame. The parents are too busy doing their own things to spend the time teaching their children how to behave.

I dislike old people (I'm 77) who drive in the fast lane (75 mph) at 55 mph. I drive 80 mph.

I dislike old people who have a cart full of groceries and get in the 10 items or less line, at the market, and play dumb.

I dislike old people who in the grocery check out line wait until their groceries are totaled, then search for their check book and when they eventually find it ask the checker to borrow his/her pen before they start writing out their check.

I dislike people who no longer feel the need to say excuse me, thank you, or you're welcome.

I dislike people who, in a crowded place, insist on talking on their cellphones in a loud voice. Do they really think I give a fuck about their conversation.

Unfortunately this list could go on and on.

It's not just the old people who take a cartful of groceries through the under 15 items or less line. I applaud the clerk who sends them to another line. My mom knew the names of all the checkers, and she wrote checks, too. Of course she always had a pen with here checkbook. I don't like the people walking down the sidewalk talking loudly. I want to check to see if they have a Bluetooth in their ear, or are they just crazy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the old people who take a cartful of groceries through the under 15 items or less line. I applaud the clerk who sends them to another line. My mom knew the names of all the checkers, and she wrote checks, too. Of course she always had a pen with here checkbook. I don't like the people walking down the sidewalk talking loudly. I want to check to see if they have a Bluetooth in their ear, or are they just crazy.

One time I wasn't paying attention and got into the under 15 lane. When I noticed what I had done I apologized and moved on.

The grocery store I frequent has a cafe. Sometimes after I filled my cart I'd go and sit in the cafe and wait until I saw a free lane.

Adding to the above that annoy me too.

Grocery stores (not sure if it's Illinois, or local suburb/county) that hire cashiers under 21 year, who are unable to ring up adult beverages. You have to wait while they get on the phone to page someone to come over to just move the bottle across the scanner. Now, I look for the older cashiers and go in their line, unless I see a cashier who is a hottie.

And, related to the above, (again not sure if it's Illinois, or local suburb/county), but annoyed when all of a sudden, each and every person, regardless of age, is asked for ID when buying an adult beverage. Then I have to shuffle through all the cards in my wallet to find the driver's license. I'm over 60, and while waiting for my groceries to be bagged, the women behind me, who appeared to be over 70, was asked for an ID. One day I said I didn't have it. They still sold it to me. The worst was when Target wanted to scan my drivers license. I said I no longer wanted to buy the bottle of wine. Haven't shopped at a Target for years.

This is not confined to Illinois. It happens in California and Arizona, too.

A number of years ago I was dining at Valentino's in Santa Monica. It is an outstanding restaurant and it is very expensive. A cell phone rang at the table next to mine and its owner, a middle aged woman, answered and carried on a long conversation in a loud voice for several minutes. Nobody seated at the surrounding tables, myself included, said a word. The third time it happened a "gentleman" seated nearby got up walked over to her table and in a loud voice said "lady get off the fucking phone NOW" The entire room burst into applause. The woman got off the phone, quickly finished her meal and left. Damn it was a wonderful moment.

Years ago I worked at Eddie Bauer in Skokie, Illinois. We had a very loyal following of very long-time customers as well as new customers who would shop our store. One day, I was ringing up a 40-something lady who was talking on her flip-phone (pre-iPhone days here) and not paying attention to anyone around her, including me as I asked several times how she would like to pay for her purchase. Behind here was an elderly long-time customer and behind her was a rapidly building line. The elderly woman grabbed the phone, said "she'll call you back" to the person on the other end, snapped the phone shut, and said to the younger woman "Now pay the man. I'm an old woman and I don't want to die here." When the elderly woman stepped up to the register I thanked her. She said "sweetheart, when you get to be my age you can say thigs like that too."

What is this 'paying by check at the grocery store' of which so many of you speak.

[*no I'm not talking about the spelling of check/cheque. Here grocery stores do not accept cheques at all.]

I was traveling through Pennsylvania a few years ago and stopped by an ACME market for snacks. The store lost power and their electronic card processing was knocked out. They suggested I pay by check. I didn’t have a checkbook (hell, mine is growing roots in my desk drawer), so they broke out the old manual credit card gadget? Remember those? They place your credit card just so, put a slip of paper on top, manually set the amount and then swipe it for an impression of your card! It was a treat - I hadnt seen one of those in 20 years!!! :D

I was traveling through Pennsylvania a few years ago and stopped by an ACME market for snacks. The store lost power and their electronic card processing was knocked out. They suggested I pay by check. I didn’t have a checkbook (hell, mine is growing roots in my desk drawer), so they broke out the old manual credit card gadget? Remember those? They place your credit card just so, put a slip of paper on top, manually set the amount and then swipe it for an impression of your card! It was a treat - I hadnt seen one of those in 20 years!!! :D

had to look and see if there are any old videos of that.....here's info on the Flatbed 4850!......as always, the comments section of these videos is close to the best part.....one commenter wonders if your credit card could possibly be declined this way!

had to look and see if there are any old videos of that.....here's info on the Flatbed 4850!......as always, the comments section of these videos is close to the best part.....one commenter wonders if your credit card could possibly be declined this way!

My two Chase cards don't have numbers on the front of the card. Name is just slightly raised, and numbers on back are just slightly raised. Would have to use my trusty AMX card.

I tell the 18yo employee at Chipotle that I'd like a chicken burrito bowl. She fills the bowl with rice, ladles on the beans and then adds the tiniest, itty bitty sprinkling of grilled chicken pieces (definitely not the 4 ounces that the Chipotle nutritional guide claims). And then she tells me that more chicken will cost $2. Aaaagh!

I have this credit card company that keeps bugging me every quarter to ‘sign up to activate a bonus cash back’ at specific merchants or categories (eg restaurants). Of course they remind me 5 times via text and email. It just annoys the hell out of me! I already pay the annual fee, just service my account already!! o_O

Do you have similar annoying things that pushes your buttons? Please share/vent (even if it is a ‘first world problem’, I will totally judge you!!)

Here, I’ll get you started:

1. Public transportation delays (it’s a train, it runs on a rail...how complicated can that be?)

2. Misbehaving kids at a restaurant (where is that duct tape?)

3. Bicycles on the sidewalk (it is called a sideWALK!)

4. Road works with most of the crew standing around doing nothing (don’t even get me started!)

5. Those ‘extra charges’ you don’t know about but seems to show up everywhere (airlines, cable bill - you know it!). :D

Imma address #1. I live in Chicago and take the L daily just about. Idk what it is this summer but it seems like theres been a lot of fires on different lines and unfortunately people feel the needs to play on the tracks. Somethings are beyond the operators control and they must sit till whatever is in the way is clear. Yes it is annoying especially if one is trying to get home or some where important but that's the joy of public transport.

Hugs,

Greg

Adding to the above that annoy me too.

Grocery stores (not sure if it's Illinois, or local suburb/county) that hire cashiers under 21 year, who are unable to ring up adult beverages. You have to wait while they get on the phone to page someone to come over to just move the bottle across the scanner. Now, I look for the older cashiers and go in their line, unless I see a cashier who is a hottie.

And, related to the above, (again not sure if it's Illinois, or local suburb/county), but annoyed when all of a sudden, each and every person, regardless of age, is asked for ID when buying an adult beverage. Then I have to shuffle through all the cards in my wallet to find the driver's license. I'm over 60, and while waiting for my groceries to be bagged, the women behind me, who appeared to be over 70, was asked for an ID. One day I said I didn't have it. They still sold it to me. The worst was when Target wanted to scan my drivers license. I said I no longer wanted to buy the bottle of wine. Haven't shopped at a Target for years.

Checkers who are 18 can now sale adult bevies in IL. Yes that was a very stupid and bothersome rule. As for the adult bevie and ID yes that is a pain the ass but you can thank the states liquor board and sue happy cunts. Because of one or the other or both businesses that sale adult beverages have to be vigilant about ID's. One wrong move could cost someone their job and BOTH the worker and business will get a fine and it cost the business their liquor license. I know it's a pain in the ass but you can thank your lawmakers. Heres a story for you. In Seattle I was a checker. A guy who had one too many tried to buy beer from me. I denied him. Security followed him out. When security came back I was told it was a good thing I denied him because he came close to getting hit. Had I sold him the beer and he cracked it open theres a good chance I and my employer would had been fined and my employer would had lost their license to sale alcohol for a while. I would say a good 20% of our sales were beer and wine.

Hugs,

Greg