Travel Situation of Which I am in need of HELP in Venice, Italy?

Axiom2001
This topic is 2120 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Within three and a half weeks, I hope to be in Barcelona for a few days. Afterwards, I will fly to Venice. Once one gets off of the plane-- how does he get to his hotel? Mine is Hotel Riviera which is located across from the train station.

I'm seeking the process.

Within three and a half weeks, I hope to be in Barcelona for a few days. Afterwards, I will fly to Venice. Once one gets off of the plane-- how does he get to his hotel? Mine is Hotel Riviera which is located across from the train station.

I'm seeking the process.

As far as Barcelona, Uber is illegal and taxis are expensive.... Bastards.

I'm seeking the process.

The train station is mere steps from the water, and water taxis. It’s SO easy to get lost in Venice... just hire one. The place is magical. Getting lost can be part of the fun, but not while you’re dragging luggage;)

Have a blast. Venice is unlike anywhere else.

As far as Barcelona, Uber is illegal and taxis are expensive.... Bastards.

I agree with @tassojunior . I speak Castilian quite well and I understand and speak some Catalan, yet I find that Barcelona taxi-drivers at the airport routinely try to rip me off.

If you don't have much luggage, I recommend the Airport Bus which is cheap and has an express service from the terminals to Plaza España (first stop). That's a short walk to Thermas as it happens.

In Venice, I take the water-bus routinely but I would always have a private water-taxi from/to the airport. It's simply a lovely way to travel to your preferred hotel (assuming it has a private landing).

Hi Axiom: sounds like a wonderful trip. I was in Venice last year for the film festival and biennale. Stayed in a historic palazzo (home of 2 doges) with views of the canal. Charming beautiful city.

Directions to your hotel (per their website):

By plane | From the Marco Polo international airport in Venice, the Alilaguna water shuttle takes you directly to Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta, just a few feet from the Hotel Riviera.

The train station is mere steps from the water, and water taxis. It’s SO easy to get lost in Venice... just hire one. The place is magical …

Less exciting but probably cheaper: There is also a regular bus to the station and you can walk to your hotel from there. The water bus (not taxi) would be my choice. Easy walk from the airport to the dock and the views of Venice are unbelievable.

The first time I went to Venice, I took the train from Florence, walked out of the station onto that busy patio (see below), and I was instantly in love with Venice. That time, I opted for a vaporetto (water bus). It wasn't quite so confusing (but just as crowded) as the scene early in "Summertime" when Katharine Hepburn is standing on that patio uncertain of whether she wants a taxi or a bus until she hears the price difference, opts for the bus, is pointed toward a vaporetto and says, "That's a bus?" And then she gets on board, finds a little standing room amid the crowd and is transfixed by the city as the vaporetto moves along the canal. (So I wanted that experience.)

venice-railway-station.jpg

Subsequently, I have flown in and have used a water taxi from the docks at the airport (very easy to find, follow the other travelers) and have been taken directly to my hotel.

@Axiom2001, you are sure to have a wonderful time. Enjoy every magical minute of it!

I agree with @tassojunior . I speak Castilian quite well and I understand and speak some Catalan, yet I find that Barcelona taxi-drivers at the airport routinely try to rip me off.

If you don't have much luggage, I recommend the Airport Bus which is cheap and has an express service from the terminals to Plaza España (first stop). That's a short walk to Thermas as it happens.

In Venice, I take the water-bus routinely but I would always have a private water-taxi from/to the airport. It's simply a lovely way to travel to your preferred hotel (assuming it has a private landing).

My last time in Barcelona I used an online book a taxi service. Sort of like a limo but using a taxi. The driver met me at the preplanned place and took me right to me location for a preplanned price. I probably paid a bit more but it was exactly as quoted. I was also able to put a hard to find location into the form when I booked and he took me right there. Don’t recall the name of the site but it shouldn’t be hard to find.

Just remembered that I wa S on the way to the cruise port that was easy to find but the hard part was to know which berth as the port is quite spread out. I’d sent the ship name and the driver had an app that had a graphic display showing that the ship had arrive and where it was berthed. He took me straight there.

Edited by spider

Good for you! Both cities are wonderful. If you're staying in central Barcelona, getting around is easy. I suggest doing a lot of walking, and don't forget to visit the Gaudi architectural masterpieces, especially the cathedral of Sagrada Familia.

As for Venice, well, walking is a must. Getting to your hotel from the airport will require a boat, so check with your hotel to see what they suggest. The public transport is called the Valporetto. Easy travel at an affordable price.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/vaporetto-transportation-system-1548043