Pit Bulls

Avalon
This topic is 2099 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As it happens, German Shepherds attack more people than pit bulls! Most pit bulls are friendly; those who have been abused and trained to fight are the ones you need to fear.

Unfortunately, Avalon, you are caving to peoples' prejudices, innuendos, and anecdotes.

Regarding pit bulls when they bite someone don't they lock/clamp onto the person and it's very difficult to break the hold the dog has?

Is that the same with German Shepherds?

Regarding pit bulls when they bite someone don't they lock/clamp onto the person and it's very difficult to break the hold the dog has?

Is that the same with German Shepherds?

Both are false, but I can see where that comes from.

Pit bulls are very powerful animals with very strong jaws. The look intimidating, even when they're proverbial pussy cats. (My cocker spaniel has put pit bulls in their place before.) When they bite, if you pull, they may take it as "tug of war" no matter how much you're yelling and not let go.

Pit bulls and German Shepherds can both be fantastic animals. German Shepherds are exceedingly bright dogs with a strong protective streak. (They were bred to be herding dogs, after all.) However there are a lot of bad owners of dogs that don't learn how to be good pet owners. Some dogs need more training on what is acceptable.

Edited by bnm73

I just dog sat for my friend who has a Pit Bull & a Maltese. I never met the 2 dogs and I didn't really have much exposure to Pit Bulls so I was a little apprehensive. She assured me that they were both good dogs. When she dropped them off at my house and I saw her, the Pit Bull, for the 1st time I was almost ready to renege on my commitment. She was very intimidating and built like a brick shithouse. She was a solid piece of muscle and for her size I couldn't believe how agile she was, She could be running towards you at full speed and stop & turn on a dime. She was one of the sweetest dogs I ever met. By the end of the week I was in love with both of them and wanted to keep them. The two of them were so funny together like an older sister and kid brother. It was the little guy that was the instigator though. He would get her to chase him around the coffee table in my living until she got bored and layed down then he would jump across her back stopping every once in a while to get a humpty hump in. He could do anything he wanted with her and she didn't seem to be bothered. They would sleep next to each other or sometimes I found him between her front legs with his body over one of her legs as if they were doggy spooning.

I think they are dangerous and should be outlawed.

Saying something like that is like someone saying all Mexicans are rapists or all Muslims are terrorists. You know like the current POTUS does. Not every Pit Bull, breed of dog, or breed of human being can be put into the same box solely because of their breed. I'm so glad I didn't let my apprehension or ignorance rob me of the wonderful experience I had

http://time.com/2891180/kfc-and-the-pit-bull-attack-of-a-little-girl/

"Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982, according to research compiled by Merritt Clifton, editor of Animals 24-7, an animal-news organization that focuses on humane work and animal-cruelty prevention."

http://time.com/2891180/kfc-and-the-pit-bull-attack-of-a-little-girl/

"Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982, according to research compiled by Merritt Clifton, editor of Animals 24-7, an animal-news organization that focuses on humane work and animal-cruelty prevention."

Again, that falls more onto "dog owners" rather than the breed being inherently aggressive or prone to violence. (You might remember Dobermans being the "scary dog" of the 80s, but they are -- on the whole -- very even tempered.)

Pit bulls are the breed most commonly trained for dog fighting, for example. (Just ask Michael Vick). If they are trained to be fighting dogs, is it a wonder that they would attack? Add to that an extraordinarily muscular and strong body, and it's a mix for fatalities. But, again, it's not the fault of the breed but rather the way the dogs are trained.

Most pit bulls are friendly; those who have been abused and trained to fight are the ones you need to fear.

Another anecdote.

I grew up scared of dogs.

My very best buddy adopted a rescue pit bull. It could not have been the sweetest and most scared dog ever. We think it's because it was abused, and perhaps made to fight other dogs, before it was rescued. Him trying to walk it at the beginning would have been hilarious if it weren't so sad. It was so terrified of people and other dogs.

My buddy is very patient with it, and I grew to like it.

I'm not interested in turning this into a full on debate/argument but thats one statistic. There are several opposing statistics in the Wiki link you posted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

Violent interactions between humans and canines have been studied by the US government,
notably the
as well as academic veterinary researchers.
The interpretation of these studies, breed identification and relevance
issues, and variable circumstances have given rise to intense controversy.

In a 2014 literature review of dog bite studies, the
(AVMA) states that breed is a poor sole predictor of dog bites.
Controlled studies do not show pit bulls to be disproportionately dangerous. While pit bull-type dogs are more frequently identified with cases involving very severe injuries or fatalities than other breeds, the review suggests this may relate to the popularity of the breed, noting that sled dogs and
compose a majority of fatal dog attacks in some areas of Canada.

In a 2000 review by the
, which examines data from both media reports and from
, pit bull-type dogs were identified in approximately one-third of dog bite-related fatalities in the United States between 1981 and 1992. However, the review notes that studies on dog bite-related fatalities which collect information by surveying news reports are subject to potential errors, as some fatal attacks may not have been reported, a study might not find all relevant news reports, and the dog breed might be misidentified.
The AVMA has also noted fundamental problems with tracking breed in dog bite-related fatalities.
In a 2013 study of 256 fatalities in the United States from 2000 to 2009, the AVMA determined that valid breed determination was possible for only 17.6% of cases.

When I was young the family had dogs but as an old man I grew frightened of them; maybe it's because if they knocked me over I knew that I'd be unable to get up? When I used to be able to take a daily walk and I'd see a dog even if it were on a leash I'd freeze up and not move until the dog had gone past me. Scariest words one can hear "Don't worry s/he won't bite".

When I was working - the office was @1 mile away - I'd often walk to work. I began to carry a stick and on occasion when I got to the office I'd call animal control and report a bad dog.

My father liked to ride his bicycle but because of dogs he had to stop. He lived out in the country. One neighbor had a fence around his yard to keep his children in but also to keep his dogs outside of the fence.

As mentioned by many here, Pit bulls are not inherently aggressive, but perhaps are less tolerant of other breeds, but then again, so is my 25 lb Corkie. Unfortunately because of the hype, our Condominium and countless others around south Florida have begun to ban Pit Bulls as a breed. The ban is across the spectrum and has a zero tolerance. Our complex right now is locked in a legal battle (not my idea) to remove an owners Pit Bull or face the association refusing to renew their lease. Just the mention of a Pit Bull and the hysteria heightens.

Pure bred dogs where traditionally bred for a specific purpose. I had a female American Cocker Spaniel. Spaniel were, for years, bred as small bird water retrievers. Every time Whoops (my cocker's name) saw a swimming pool she made an instant dash for it yet she had never been used as a retriever. Afghans are sight hounds who were bred to run down deer and antelopes. If they are off leash and see something interesting they are gone.

When an animal is breed for years for a specific purpose it is nigh on impossible to expect them not to revert to what they were originally bred to do now and then.

Pit Bull were bred to fight to the death in bits. Whether one agrees with it or not Pit Bulls and certain other "dangerous" breeds are banned from private ownership in the U.K. and the E.U.

Pure bred dogs where traditionally bred for a specific purpose. I had a female American Cocker Spaniel. Spaniel were, for years, bred as small bird water retrievers. Every time Whoops (my cocker's name) saw a swimming pool she made an instant dash for it yet she had never been used as a retriever. Afghans are sight hounds who were bred to run down deer and antelopes. If they are off leash and see something interesting they are gone.

When an animal is breed for years for a specific purpose it is nigh on impossible to expect them not to revert to what they were originally bred to do now and then.

Pit Bull were bred to fight to the death in bits. Whether one agrees with it or not Pit Bulls and certain other "dangerous" breeds are banned from private ownership in the U.K. and the E.U.

Reminds me of when I was a boy. We a female dachshund and a male mixed beagle. There was an irrigation canal down the road. The beagle liked to go for a swim and the dachshund would sit on the levee and watch him.

I’ve had many dogs over the years and one was a pit bull. Although not my favorite dog, the pit bull was without a doubt the sweetest and most gentle of any dog I owned. I don’t even recall him barking. He actually scared rather easily. However, he was also the dumbest canine I ever owned and nearly got himself killed on multiple occasions... running into traffic. Stupid dog. :D He was very loveable with the prettiest hazel brown eyes and big box head. Very affectionate.

Can pitbulls be vicious dogs? Of course. But so can any dog if they are raised or trained improperly.

Edited by big-n-tall

A Chihuahua pound for pound is more vicious than a pitbull according to The Dog Wisper. We have a Basset Hound and Pitbull mix. She has to be one of the sweetest, most loving, gentle dog you ever meet, but don’t mess around with her humans, baby or cats watch out.

Edited by Gvtire

Through selective breeding, humans have created different breeds of dogs that have genetic predisposition for specific tasks. The AKC has grouped dogs into seven groups. I have trained and shown Australian Shepherds and Golden Retrievers in the AKC Obedience ring. Pit Bulls, German Shepards, Dobermans, etc. have a genetic predisposition to be very protective of their "pack".

The problem is NOT with the dog. It is with the owner who does not know how to train their dog. I have seen this time and time again.

If you cannot train a dog, how can you train a child?

I have two labs and a mutt who people say looks like a pit bull. The black lab is the one that barks and scares people, though he is very sweet. The mutt is also noisy when people come to the door but she would likely lick any intruders into submission. All in all. people are afraid of the black dog and people are afraid of the "pit mutt" but Bonehead, the yellow lab gets a pass on everything, but they are equally friendly.