Did You Pay Your Parents For Room And Board?

Avalon
This topic is 2093 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On "Judge Judy" a teenager moved from his mother's place to his father's. The teen had opened a savings account but because he was a minor it needed the father's signature. The teen (17yo) was working two jobs. After he moved to his father's the father emptied the savings account for board and room. The teen was suing his father.

Judge Judy ruled that the father must repay his son. Since the son was a minor the father was responsible for his room and board. The father looked at it like being child support.

When I got my first job after law school I was living at home with my father as my mother had recently died. He didn't want to take any money from me as I had student loans to repay. I was doing all the housekeeping so we worked out a system: he gave me $15 per week towards groceries and I paid for the rest. Even after he remarried the following year and moved out, my responsibilities were to pay the property taxes, utilities and minor upkeep expenses; he still paid for major repairs. Ultimately I did major renovations, the cost of which he deducted from the price when I ultimately bought the house from him. The final price: two-thirds of the appraised value, paid to my two brothers as their inheritance. Worked out well for everybody.

On "Judge Judy" a teenager moved from his mother's place to his father's. The teen had opened a savings account but because he was a minor it needed the father's signature. The teen (17yo) was working two jobs. After he moved to his father's the father emptied the savings account for board and room. The teen was suing his father.

Judge Judy ruled that the father must repay his son. Since the son was a minor the father was responsible for his room and board. The father looked at it like being child support.

Child support shouldn't be paid by the child

After grad school I lived with my parents until I bought my own place. They refused when I offered to pay rent. So I would pay for the groceries when I went shopping with them and paid one of the parent student loan payments they were still paying for my younger siblings.

I would have felt weird not paying anything...

I left home when I was 18, a few months after graduating from high school. I never paid room and board. My oldest brother dropped out of school and got a job. He lived at home until he got married when he was 21 or 22. He paid room and board. The rule was if you're in school, you don't have to pay your way. If you're bringing home a paycheck, you help out. He hated paying it. My mother had to ask him for it every week. He would pull out his wallet and toss the money in her face.

One of the folks in my circle is a 78 year old woman. Her 47 year old son still lives at home is over 300 pounds and does nothing but watch TV . She does all chores, cooking , cleaning, pays all the bills . He constantly complains about the food, is an internet warrior and is always complaining about rich people or whatever catches his fancy. Has no respect for anybody and is just rude.

The poor woman worries what will happen to him after she dies, but despite all of us telling her to kick him out, she won't listen. The moment she says anything , he goes off and says a parent should unconditionally love their child and brings up things that happened decades ago and blames her for his condition. He has utter disdain for working people, claims we people sell our souls and he will never give up his dignity to do a job that he does not like-been without a job for close to 20 years.

Maybe mental illness-who knows?

I went to college right after graduating high school (during the summer session) and thus moved to another city. I stayed in that city for the time I was in college and then for a couple years with a "lover." Then I moved with him here. We split up shortly after we came here and I have remained here since. Thus I never had to pay my parents any money (and they never asked).

I have a neighbor who let her son live in one of her condos for free until he was forty. Paid all his expenses and bought him a new Corvette every few years. He has borrowed tens of thousands of dollars over the years and not one dime was ever paid back. ten years ago he just packed up and left. He has not communicated with her in all that time, even declined to go to his dad's funeral. She's taking all of this in stride, but I can still tell that it wears on her and is painful. Last year she finally decided to omit him from her will.

So yes...Maybe mental illness. It's something we will never know, but there is so much collateral damage.

One of the folks in my circle is a 78 year old woman. Her 47 year old son still lives at home is over 300 pounds and does nothing but watch TV . She does all chores, cooking , cleaning, pays all the bills . He constantly complains about the food, is an internet warrior and is always complaining about rich people or whatever catches his fancy. Has no respect for anybody and is just rude.

The poor woman worries what will happen to him after she dies, but despite all of us telling her to kick him out, she won't listen. The moment she says anything , he goes off and says a parent should unconditionally love their child and brings up things that happened decades ago and blames her for his condition. He has utter disdain for working people, claims we people sell our souls and he will never give up his dignity to do a job that he does not like-been without a job for close to 20 years.

When she passes away he will be lost. Maybe a referral to Adult Protective Services? He should apply for SSI and Medicaid.

Always. Even from the part time jobs I had in high school. It was a modest amount maybe 15/20% of my net. My parents deemed it good training. I still agree. Later as I worked my way thru college I needed a car. My mother paid for the insurance: she worked for the insurer.

Not in high school and I went to college without assistance from my parents(who couldn't afford to, and my college had generous financial aid so it wasn't really a problem). When I graduated and moved home I gave my mother(dad died while I was in school) a rent check out of my first paycheck. She nearly fell over with surprise, but she took it. I was the only one to pay rent while living with her after college.

I had a friend who dropped out of college after two years. He went from living in the dorm and coming home during breaks to living home full time. When he dropped out his dad and mom immediately sat him down and explained "tenant rules." He paid rent and was responsible for weekly cleaning of his own room and the hall bath -- in addition to other chores on a schedule. My friend had no problem with it; the rules came as no surprise based on how he was raised. He bounced from job to job for a bit and then became a police officer, a career he stuck with until retirement.

My friend lived at his parents home until he was 31 when he got into a serious relationship with a woman. Neither his parents nor he and his girlfriend were really comfortable with him bringing her up to his bedroom. He got an apartment, and set a quick engagement. On the day of his wedding, while he was waiting with the groomsmen for the ceremony, his father took my friend aside and presented him with the passbook for the savings account where his parents had deposited all of his rent payments since he dropped out of college and became a tenant.

I had a friend who dropped out of college after two years. He went from living in the dorm and coming home during breaks to living home full time. When he dropped out his dad and mom immediately sat him down and explained "tenant rules." He paid rent and was responsible for weekly cleaning of his own room and the hall bath -- in addition to other chores on a schedule. My friend had no problem with it; the rules came as no surprise based on how he was raised. He bounced from job to job for a bit and then became a police officer, a career he stuck with until retirement.

My friend lived at his parents home until he was 31 when he got into a serious relationship with a woman. Neither his parents nor he and his girlfriend were really comfortable with him bringing her up to his bedroom. He got an apartment, and set a quick engagement. On the day of his wedding, while he was waiting with the groomsmen for the ceremony, his father took my friend aside and presented him with the passbook for the savings account where his parents had deposited all of his rent payments since he dropped out of college and became a tenant.

I have recommended this strategy (charging children rent and saving the money for them) to many friends who have adult children at home. I don't care how much they charge, just think it's good practice for the children to get into.

To answer your question, NO. However, I started working at 19, and never asked my parents for pocket money ever since. I left home at 24.

Very early on I wanted to work. Mowing lawns,running errands,collecting bottles. At 10 I worked PT at a neighbors grocery store counting cans (a favor to my parents) at 15 I worked in an ice cream store and was fired for making the cones too big. At 16 I worked for Doubleday Books until HS graduation I also worked at Saks Fifth Avenue cataloging men's clothing for the tailor.

I save all my money and entered university, moved to NYC and never looked back. Now I am retired and doing very well.

I always gave my mom money from my work. When she died I was shocked to be the recipient of a very nice trust fund

Most kids today suck at work...I do it for a hobby!

My advice You Better Work!