What is it?

GregM
This topic is 2113 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm on my way to work from the gym and on the bus I just past a restaurant with signage saying American fare. What is American fare? This country is such a jumbled up bunch of cultures from all over the world how can food be "American"? This really confuses me.

Hugs,

Greg

I'm on my way to work from the gym and on the bus I just past a restaurant with signage saying American fare. What is American fare? This country is such a jumbled up bunch of cultures from all over the world how can food be "American"? This really confuses me.

`American fare` is whatever the restaurant wants it to be.

Interesting question, it is just like: “French food”. What is it?

When you are in France nobody uses the phrase “French food”, they say, this is a Corsican / Lyonnaise / Gascogne / Bourgogne / Savoy / Alsatian / Brittany dish.

I don’t think they think of these dishes as quintessentially “French”. Only abroad.

Edited by Tarte Gogo

As I remember, it wasn't a boycott, just a refusal to call them "French". Wasn't the White House dining room serving "Freedom Fries" for a time?

Ah, no boycott then?

Well, given that the French consider them to be Belgian (if thick-cut), or American (if thin-cut like McDonald’s fries) I can’t inagine a single person in France cares what Americans call them.

Burgers, fried chicken, hot dogs, BBQ ribs... There are plenty of dishes that are widely recognised as 'American', even if they originated elsewhere.

In fact I would claim that all food is American unless primarily identified with its originating culture. Spagetti is American: baked ziti not. Most chicken dishes are American except maybe coq au vin. Nachos are American: chorizo tacos less so. Etc.

American fare I usually interpret as comfort food (e.g. mac & cheese, burgers, etc.); essentially Diner food as we have on the east coast.

"New American" fare I think of upscale fusion restaurants or farm to table which is what some of them have renamed themselves...

In general, the French don't speak English very well, at least not nearly as well as the Dutch, the Germans, the Scandinavians, for example.

Someone once told me his problems were mostly that the Germans speak English perfectly well but pretend that they don't, while the French can barely speak English but pretend that they do. ;)

(Massive generalizations for comedic effect)

Someone once told me his problems were mostly that the Germans speak English perfectly well but pretend that they don't, while the French can barely speak English but pretend that they do. ;)

(Massive generalizations for comedic effect)

I would say that a lot of Germans welcome opportunities to speak english

I would say that a lot of Germans welcome opportunities to speak english

My German friends tell me that they began English in a very early grade and that by middle school they had to declare whether their continued English classes would be in British or American English.

My German friends tell me that they began English in a very early grade and that by middle school they had to declare whether their continued English classes would be in British or American English.

As good as the Germans are, I think the Dutch are even better. Most Dutch speak English with no more than a trace of an accent.