How Many Spaces After A Period?

Avalon
This topic is 2129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To start off the conversation, I always used two spaces after a full stop, and it made sense with fixed width fonts (as used with typewriters). Now, I use one space, and the previous comments on proportional fonts are apposite. Yes, Microsoft reinforced this as its grammar check threw in those green squiggly lines under the text when you used two spaces, but it never auto-corrected when I was using it (if it did, you can turn off auto-corrects item by item).

I never learnt typing, it wasn't a thing when I was at school, but when I went to uni I did teach myself to touch type (I still look at times but I use the correct fingers for each letter!) by sticking paper over the keys on my typewriter.

Typewriter convention is 2 spaces after a period, which I was taught in typing class. 2 spaces after a state and before the zip code too. Also, as an aside, no period after Ms, because, unlike Mr. and Mrs, it is not an abbreviation for anything.

I don't think the two space rule after the state still applies, since the correct state abbreviations no longer include periods, just like Ms. Discuss.

So the Oxford comma is the old-fashioned way of placing a comma before the "and" or "or" that precedes the final term in a series? I'm so used to the modern way that omits the final comma that I think the Oxford comma looks busy.

Agreed. But @Kenny has a point I’d like to pursue.

Oxford Comma resolves all ambiguity. For instance: https://rent.men/Oxfordcomma

I think I remember the rationale for it was that the "and" is a replacement for the comma. So having both "and" and a comma is redundant.

Interesting but sometimes there are pairs of things, but using "&" instead of "and" that would clarify the matter.

I never realized the correct placement of a comma had a name.

Lol, it's not 'correct' (or incorrect for that matter), it's one convention of how to punctuate a list. Pro- and anti-Oxford comma advocates can be rather dogmatic in their views! IDGAF.

I think it avoids ambiguity especially with "and".

Yes it does avoid ambiguity when there is ambiguity in the way the list is written. I use that comma, or other punctuation, if there is any ambiguity and omit it if there is not. I found it interesting having worked in both systems that the USAF writing guide mandated its use whereas the RAAF (actually Australian Defence Force) guide said the default was to omit it.

One. I took a lot of convincing to get me to change a lifetime habit learned in HS typing.

2 spaces after a period adds clarity on a typewriter where all letters are equally spaced. A modern word processing computer program automatically justifies the spaces between letters, words and sentences so that the type reads optimally well. Many programs will eliminate the double space if you persist in using it.

If your intention is clarity, as well as efficiency, the Oxford Comma can accommodate. Why have to constantly take the time to make the judgment for its use? When writing a series of 3 or more, do the reader a favor, be clear every time, and reduce the risk of ambiguity or requiring the reader to ‘re-read’ a series you’ve written to be sure they’ve got it correct. Simply use a comma before “and.” This way you can chalk it up to being considerate of others, even if it otherwise disturbs your sensibilities. :D

And now that we’ve sufficiently debated the use of a comma, you can return to your regularly scheduled programming of discussing periods and the amount of space needed between one’s self and women when they have them, and/or when we type. Whichever interpretation you prefer. :p:p:p

Edited by HotWhiteThirties