Do You Use Straws To Drink?

Avalon
This topic is 2109 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some disabled folk straws are a requirement to drink. I will use a straw for my take away iced coffee and it's 50-50 on if I use one while eating out.

Hugs,

Greg

I have a friend with Parkinson’s and he needs those plastic straws that have the flexible bend in them; paper straight straws will not do.

I have a friend with Parkinson’s and he needs those plastic straws that have the flexible bend in them; paper straight straws will not do.

Actually, the original “Flex-Straws” invented in the 1937 were paper not plastic. I remember drinking from them in the 1950s. I’m sure with the passing of plastic straws the paper versions bendable straws will be re-introduced. I don’t remember using a plastic straw until the 60’s.

https://99percentinvisible.org/article/last-straws-inventing-modern-drinking-tube-flexible-bendy-straw/

I use straws a pretty fair amount but normally try to use the metal one that came with my Corkcicle. As for the little sippy stirring straws mentioned by Spider above I don’t like drinking from them however I make an exception when it’s in a Bloody Mary on a plane. Not knowing when, or if, I’ll be offered another means I’m going to drink the current one to the last drop.

My dentist tells me to do this with coffee! I don’t...

I don't much anymore, but I always used to use a straw with coffee. I didn't like the feel of the sharp edges of plastic caps on my lips, so I used straws. They don't seem to have sharp edges on them anymore.

I try to avoid using plastic straws.

However, I have sets of glass and stainless straws that I use when I'm home.

It allows me to pretend I'm working in a chemistry lab :)

I've got a pretty impressive collection of chemistry glassware I used for drinking. My favorite is the Florence Flask, that's my nightstand-water pitcher. My younger sister sent me a couple of very large graduated cylinders, I have a picture of my roommate & I drinking beer from them, imitating John Watson's bachelor party in "Sherlock".

It's a good start, but when you think about the multipicity of single-use plastic containers in our lives, it is really discouraging.

McDonalds is taking a major lead in single-use plastic containers, not just straws. As they lead the industry will go because a) it’s the right thing to do and b) when McDonalds does something like this 100% the manufacturing sources become more reasonably priced for everyone.*

https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/mcdonalds-just-made-a-stunning-announcement-that-will-completely-change-future-of-fast-food.html

*https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/how-mcdonald-s-has-shaped-the-food-biz-1.3074081

Older article but more true than ever

Edited by MikeBiDude

No. My family eliminated straws a couple years ago when my daughter came home and demanded we stop using single-use plastic because it's destroying the world! It's been a "fun" journey as we've raised our awareness of single-use plastics and how hard it can be to significantly reduce buying and using them.

Edited by LivingnLA

I don’t use straws and fully support a ban on straws. People who need them for disabilities and such will find a very suitable alternative. When I Argentina everyone is drinking their Yerba Mattes with reusable metal/ aluminum straws.