Working with Mike Hock

purplekow
This topic is 2163 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know in grade school most of us are familiar with the substitute teacher trap of writing down phony names on an attendance sheet. Dick Hertz was a popular one.

I work with a man named Micheal Hock. He prefers Mike. I have had to introduce him people on several occasions. Each time I have introduced him as Micheal Hock. Each time he has mentioned to me afterward that he prefers Mike. I would rather not introduce him as Mike Hock, as much to avoid the obvious but also I would hate for someone to laugh and get me laughing.

I know it is his name and he has heard every joke under the sun and perhaps he is just trying to own it. In either case, I came up with this introduction This is Micheal Hock but he prefers Mike.

I also work with a Dr. Pepper, but I do not have any difficulty introducing her as Dr. Pepper.

Anyone else have peers or colleagues with names that are potentially laugh inducing?

I know in grade school most of us are familiar with the substitute teacher trap of writing down phony names on an attendance sheet. Dick Hertz was a popular one.

I work with a man named Micheal Hock. He prefers Mike. I have had to introduce him people on several occasions. Each time I have introduced him as Micheal Hock. Each time he has mentioned to me afterward that he prefers Mike. I would rather not introduce him as Mike Hock, as much to avoid the obvious but also I would hate for someone to laugh and get me laughing.

I know it is his name and he has heard every joke under the sun and perhaps he is just trying to own it. In either case, I came up with this introduction This is Micheal Hock but he prefers Mike.

I also work with a Dr. Pepper, but I do not have any difficulty introducing her as Dr. Pepper.

Anyone else have peers or colleagues with names that are potentially laugh inducing?

I didn't get it

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mike%20Hock

I once knew a Sam Hill

I didn't get it either. The Urban Dictionary definition brought it home. Now it's funny for me.

Colour me stunned. My immediate reaction if I don't get something like this is to say it out aloud. Worked this time too (although to me it was obvious straight away).

When I was in 8th grade, we had to give an oral book report. Now I love to read. But for some reason I didn't really read the book I was going to report on. I was going to wing it. It was a book about some kind of forest preserve, and one of the characters was Ranger Dick. Well every time I started to say his name, I started laughing. There's probably a fairly good chance it would have happened even if I had read the book. But I'm sure the nervousness over not reading the book played a big part. In any case I did not (and rightly so) do well on the report.

Gman

PS As long as I'm confessing, in high school I never acually finished "The Red Badge of Courage" or "A Farewell To Arms." In the case of "Arms" it wasn't entirely my fault. I didn't like the book, but I was reading it. Unfortunately I disliked it so much that I could never remember from day to day what I had read the previous day (we were were reading it during class). As a result I always had to go back to a point I knew I had read with the result that I was re-reading a lot of what I had read. And I fell more and more behind and hated the book more and more. And "Courage" as far as I can remember was just depressing with an unhappy ending.

I always told myself I'd go back and read them. And I'm not dead yet. So there's still a chance.

G

PPS- ok and to be almost completely truthful-while I read most of it, I did use the Cliff Notes in college for the last part of "Paradise Lost"

Boy, do I feel better now!!:rolleyes:

G

Edited by Gar1eth

@Gar1eth - you remind me of two memories from grade school. Fourth grade or so (so about 9 years old), the teacher was reading us a book and the story referred to a bird called a 'titfinch'. One kid couldn't stop giggling every time the teacher read that, and she finally grilled him as make him say what was so funny. He never did answer, as I recall.

We didn't read The Red Badge of Courage, but watched a movie of it (I've also never seen that movie since). I overheard two of the teachers talking about one of the soldiers at the very end of the movie, something akin to "I'd do him" but more delicately put. I doubt they knew I was listening.