Suggestions for Neighborhoods in Philadelphia

Courage
This topic is 2142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So a job will return me to Philly after 20 years--I was a student there through the 90s.

I'm in the process of scoping out neighborhoods to rent a one-bedroom apartment in and, obviously, the place has changed. I visit regularly, but don't venture far outside Center City or the sports complex.

My priorities are:

1) Convenience to City Hall area, either by proximity or a Septa ride. I don't want to pay insurance and parking.

2) Good prospects for socializing. I'm early 40-something and have family and acquaintances in the city, but am leaving behind a lot of friends when I go.

3) Keeping rent to at *most* $1,600 (cheaper obviously welcome).

4) Gay-friendliness and safety.

From my experience of having lived in south Jersey many years ago, it seemed to me that the area around Rittenhouse Square was gay friendly and relatively safe (though a friend got mugged in the park there late one night). Not sure if that is true today. I worked in North Philly (north of Temple U.) and would not recommend that to anyone, unless they have bulldozed it and started over.

From my experience of having lived in south Jersey many years ago, it seemed to me that the area around Rittenhouse Square was gay friendly and relatively safe (though a friend got mugged in the park there late one night). Not sure if that is true today. I worked in North Philly (north of Temple U.) and would not recommend that to anyone, unless they have bulldozed it and started over.

I lived one year near Temple and moved to Fairmount, but believe that near campus is (in relative terms) much safer than it used to be. Don't wanna be around students, though :-)

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I still say that the best view of Philly is from the rear-view mirror.

:) Depends which direction you're going. If you're headed over the bridge to Camden the view through the RVM is way better than what you see through your windshield!

BTW surprised no one has mentioned it but Manayunk is a real cool neighborhood in Philly. Seems to meet most of [uSER=14922]@Courage![/uSER] 's requirements. Haven't been there in a few years but its quite trendy in a Hoboken-esqe way. I'd imagine it could be a bit pricey though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manayunk,_Philadelphia

Haven't been there in a few years but its quite trendy in a Hoboken-esqe way. I'd imagine it could be a bit pricey though.

It's been awhile for me, too. A quick look on Zillow suggests you're right about it being pricey, but I'm kinda resigned that anyplace both nice and convenient will be pricey. I read a while ago that they no longer have the big bike race that went down to Logan Circle. :-(

I read a while ago that they no longer have the big bike race that went down to Logan Circle. :-(

Wow that's a shame. I had a friend who lived in suburban Philly and every year the bike race and arts festival were never miss events on our calendar. Sadly he moved out of the area about a decade ago and I haven't been back since.

Does Philadelphia have rent control? If so when you go look at apartments ask for all the prices of all the one bedrooms (or what size you want) in the building. If you find a unit someone has lived in for 30 years rent could be 400.00 less then the one next door to it which has turned over every year.

So a job will return me to Philly after 20 years--I was a student there through the 90s.

I'm in the process of scoping out neighborhoods to rent a one-bedroom apartment in and, obviously, the place has changed. I visit regularly, but don't venture far outside Center City or the sports complex.

My priorities are:

1) Convenience to City Hall area, either by proximity or a Septa ride. I don't want to pay insurance and parking.

2) Good prospects for socializing. I'm early 40-something and have family and acquaintances in the city, but am leaving behind a lot of friends when I go.

Sounds like you want to live in the city itself, so break out your map. Mark down the following 3 locations: 1. City Hall. 2. Philly Art Museum. 3. Rittenhouse Square. Connect the dots - do not stray beyond 2 blocks of triangle indicated. Often unmentioned perk: La Colombe coffee is close by, feel free to feed your addiction! ;)

My priorities are:

Welcome Home! Send me a PM -- A couple months back I sent detailed info and resources

My first apartment in Philly was in a townhouse on a pleasant residential block a short walk from City Hall, between Rittenhouse Square and the Gayborhood; it cost $60/mo. Those days are long gone. Center City is full of expensive new hi-rises. The Gayborhood has been invaded by straight millenials who want to live close to their offices and restaurants. One used to be able to move up toward the Art Museum or across the Schuylkill to Powelton, but they have also become crowded and expensive. Spring Garden may still be a possibility. I'm told that Fishtown and even Frankford are the new "happening" neighborhoods, but I have no experience with either one. I think it is probably still possible to find affordable places in Bella Vista, Queen Village, or the area south of South St west of Broad. If convenience to City Hall is important to you, and you can't find someplace within walking distance, don't stray far from stops on the Market or Broad St subways.

My first apartment in Philly was in a townhouse on a pleasant residential block a short walk from City Hall, between Rittenhouse Square and the Gayborhood; it cost $60/mo.

Lunch costs that much now! My first non-campus apartment was a $700 studio in a small highrise in Fairmount in the late 90s (I knew the neighborhood before the real estate agents changed the name to "Art Museum").