The Ignorance Of Youth!

Avalon
This topic is 2159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I was watching the recent episode of "To Tell The Truth". First up was a young person who got accepted into all eight Ivy League schools. One of the guest judges is Mel Brooks. Mel asked them (there are three contestants but only one is the real deal) to name two movies that he had made. Only one could do so. Sad!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conversation at work with two 30 year olds. One had heard of the Beatles but could not name a song of theirs. When I suggested Yesterday, she had no clue. Then she knew Twist and Shout but only because it was in a movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off I believe it was.

Yesterday is a great song. One of the first rock n roll songs I learned and one of my faves was Yellow Submarine. My stepdad would play it on guitar and I would get soooo excited lol. He was a huge Beatles fanboy lol. Happy memories.

Hugs,

Greg

Man has complained about the youth of today since Socrates.

How many of you know Buster Keaton? Roger Ebert described his "extraordinary period from 1920 to 1929, [when] he worked without interruption on a series of films that make him, arguably, the greatest actor–director in the history of the movies".

Most all of you were unaware of that. That's how it goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The years run too short and the days too fast

The things you lean on are the things that don't last

Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these

Time passages

There's something back here that you left behind

My last roommate was quite a bit younger than me. Every once in a while I had to remind myself that in his timeline, Star Wars was to him (age-wise) what movies that came out in the middle of WWII were for me. Best Picture in 1941, I couldn't tell you a thing about what that movie's about. Charlie Chaplin won best actor that year.

We took my mother to see "De-Lovely" and after she mentioned "Begin the Beguine" had been a favorite song of hers when she was younger. That movie was the first time I'd heard it.

We took my mother to see "De-Lovely" and after she mentioned "Begin the Beguine" had been a favorite song of hers when she was younger. That movie was the first time I'd heard it.

My parents and grandparents were big old-movie buffs, and I grew up watching great old films. When my sister was taking tap lessons, her teacher lent her a VHS tape with a bunch of numbers on it, including this one. I mentioned it to a friend and said I bet he didn't know who Eleanor Powell was. In fact, he didn't know who Fred Astaire was!

Well, seems like I've stumbled in a thread of grumpy (old?) men. :p (I am teasing, just teasing!)

I'm sure a couple of generations from now some young kids will be giving blank stares when Lady Gaga or Beyoncé get mentioned. I don't see the need to get personally offended by that. :rolleyes::)

Everyone has their own interests and will like what they like. It's not an affront to society or you or the person if some random kid doesn't know one particular part of history.:eek:;)

Before going to NYC last month to see my first-ever Broadway shows I was sharing my excitement with a co-worker. She asked what I was going to see, and I told her “Hello, Dolly!”. She asked in all seriousness if it was about Dolly Parton. I tried to explain to her about the movie (she never heard of it) with Barbra Streisand (she’d never heard of her), and Bernadette Peters (also a blank stare) in the staring role of the Broadway show.

I went on about Bette Midler (don’t even get me started on her reaction), “My Fair Lady” (that I’m seeing in August), and a few other Broadway shows and stars. It was like talking to a wall until I mentioned that I was seeing “Hamilton” in July during its National Tour. She lit up with big eyes and a long and jealous “Ooooooohhhhhh!”

Maybe it wasn’t a completely wasted conversation.

Well, seems like I've stumbled in a thread of grumpy (old?) men. :p (I am teasing, just teasing!)

I'm sure a couple of generations from now some young kids will be giving blank stares when Lady Gaga or Beyoncé get mentioned. I don't see the need to get personally offended by that. :rolleyes::)

Everyone has their own interests and will like what they like. It's not an affront to society or you or the person if some random kid doesn't know one particular part of history.:eek:;)

I'm not into contemporary music. I know the names Lady Gaga and Beyonce but could not pick them out of a crowd nor name any of their songs.

Playing devil's advocate, could a child of the '60s namecheck Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington or the Gershwins?

The ignorance of youth is revisited with each and every generation. History repeats itself :)

I don't understand what you mean by "namecheck". If you mean know who those people were, I was born in 1961 and know all of them.

She probably wouldn't recognize Sally Struthers either, who was touring with Hello Dolly recently. It's hard to believe people haven't heard of the Beatles. When we came home from different colleges for Christmas, we went to see the Yellow Submarine on New Year's Eve.

Part of this is due to the multiplication of our media options. When there were basically 3 TV channels for most of the country, being a TV star meant a huge chunk of the population knew who you were, because a quarter of the population was watching you every week. Now a show is considered quite successful with an audience of 2 or 3 million, less than 1% of the population, and a lot more people "stay in their lane" in terms of what types of media they consume.

Something similar is happening with movies and music.

Just a month or so ago, a friend who is taking an English class was astounded on hearing a recording of the Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" broadcast. He had never heard of it beforehand.

This astounded me until I found my nephew had no idea who his grandfather was. I had shared my Ancestry.com findings but no one was interested. If it isn't happening now, no one cares.

I was a child of the sixties and was always aware of music, movies and television of the past. Our family would watch silent movies at Shakeys. Listen to a wide variety of music. Little Rascals, Stooges, Marx Brothers were as much a staple as the cartoons of the era. Expose kids to some of the classics and you will be surprised how they may react. Hell I have even been revisiting TV from my child hood via Youtube. The Chuckles the clown episode of Mary Tyler Moore still holds up today, As do many of the Carol Burnett skits. There is value in the past, and yes somethings never change. I feel about Rap and Hip Hop the way my father may have felt about the Rolling Stones or his father about Glen Miller.