What Exotic Meats Have Eaten?

Avalon
This topic is 1897 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rats, bats, turtles, victoria crowned pigeons, frogs, dogs, goats, quails, horses, emus, snails, ants, grubs, crickets, octopii, sea urchins, and a fairly large variety of other things from the ocean.

and durian, yes of course (I live in Bali now).

haven't had human yet. but have a few friends who have.

Yes, quite a bit: wild boar, quail, horse, bison, ostrich, monkey, snake, still-alive octopus (when it's dead I don't consider it exotic anymore), bird's nest soup (I guess not really a meat, but exotic), and the usual assortment of insects that people fry up and eat.

I've eaten dog once. I accompanied my cousin to his wife's family in the Philippines, where they served it cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, and lots of chili. It's not at all a normal thing for them—buying the meat is very difficult and the taste on its own isn't anything to write home about. I feel like they just did it because they had foreign visitors and wanted to go beyond the other local delicacy: balut.

• 4 weeks later...
Not exotic but I don't like liver; neither the smell nor the taste. And though my mother tried many ways to prepare it it, different spices etc., I still did not like it. Nonetheless I had to force myself to eat it.

I am chinese but don't like liver ever! But it is still very popular in Asian countries like China, Japan and Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

In the medical field we cauterize the skin to prevent it from over bleeding after an incision, the smell of human flesh being burned smells like meat on a grill. After a while of continuous cauterizing the smell makes it's way into your mouth and leaves a taste.....that is most "exotic" meat that I have ever come close to eating.

In the medical field we cauterize the skin to prevent it from over bleeding after an incision, the smell of human flesh being burned smells like meat on a grill. After a while of continuous cauterizing the smell makes it's way into your mouth and leaves a taste.....that is most "exotic" meat that I have ever come close to eating.

With all due respect, those of us who lived in lower Manhattan in the days after 9/11 know precisely the acrid smell of burning human flesh. It clung in the air for days. And it had no relationship whatever to the smell of meat on a grill.

Edited by g56whiz

My Asian relatives eat them like popcorn. I don’t dislike them. I just find it’s too much work for too little pleasure.

From what I observed Chinese culture doesn't mind spending time to savor the food, even when it requires maneuvering around bones, shells and so on. Seems like in the West we want to be able to plow through our foot without delay. Example, the chickens grown in the West are bred for greater amount of meat, but now have less flavor, so that we tend to prepare them with breading and spices to make the cuisine flavorful. The Chinese still prefer the old type of chicken bred for the original flavor, and having less meat per chicken.

From what I observed Chinese culture doesn't mind spending time to savor the food, even when it requires maneuvering around bones, shells and so on. Seems like in the West we want to be able to plow through our foot without delay. Example, the chickens grown in the West are bred for greater amount of meat, but now have less flavor, so that we tend to prepare them with breading and spices to make the cuisine flavorful. The Chinese still prefer the old type of chicken bred for the original flavor, and having less meat per chicken.

So true!

Until she came to live with us here in South Texas I don’t think my mother-in-law had ever cooked a chicken he didn’t already know personally. She’s a very tiny reserved person but I cracked up when showed her distain for every chicken and chicken part in the huge HEB+ near by. Fortunately two guys I worked out with own a meat market. I was able to get her there within an hour or so of when their supply went on sale.

I’ve also noticed that when we want chicken parts we’ll carefully dismember it a it’s joints while my partner and the rest of the cooks in his family take a cleaver and hack away.