Do You Consider Yourself A Gentleman?

Avalon
This topic is 2196 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On "MasterChef Junior" after eating a dessert Gordon Ramsay licked the plate. The young chef said that's not what a gentleman does and Ramsay replied that he never called himself a gentleman.

What is a gentleman? Well-mannered, polite etc..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandmother had a 350 lesson (approx.), lecture series on what a gentleman does and does not do. The gist is, put the needs of others before your own and cultivate a heightened sense of fairness. Table manners were in there, of course, but they were never on the exam, so to speak.

Yes, I'm a gentleman. It's really a pleasure to treat others with courtesy and see that it makes a difference in their day.

The other day, I was standing at an intersection and sneezed hard a couple times as I stood there. I heard a guy driving through the intersection say "Bless you" as he drove past. That's really going above and beyond.

I remember once opening the door for a female co-worker saying "Ladies first" and she replied that she was no lady.

A pet peeve of mine is seeing a m/f couple getting into a car and the man not opening the door for the woman.

In the 1953 movie "Titanic" Barbara Stanwyk drops something on the deck and when her husband played by Clifton Webb does not pick it up she realizes that they are over.

Imo women ought to demand manners from men. When I was a boy one time I was out with my mother and I rushed ahead into a store and so the swinging door flew back and struck her. I learned a lesson that day.

occasionally, I'm apparently a gentleman.....but then cooler heads prevail and I return to my normal self.....

probably only need to watch the first couple minutes of this, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjy_FKODsTM

That's why I started watching MasterChef Junior to see if Ramsay would behave around children. He has three daughters. I wonder what he is like at home?

I remember once opening the door for a female co-worker saying "Ladies first" and she replied that she was no lady.

a few of my more liberal, independent, modern female friends have told me directly to not hold doors for them......and when I stumbled figuring out what to call them, they said they are "women", not ladies.....I still feel bad, at times, not doing the gentlemanly thing when around them

a few of my more liberal, independent, modern female friends have told me directly to not hold doors for them......and when I stumbled figuring out what to call them, they said they are "women", not ladies.....I still feel bad, at times, not doing the gentlemanly thing when around them

I nearly always still get doors, walk on the street side, etc. when I'm with my wife, daughter, or other women in my life. Usually they seem to appreciate it because it's from a genuinely loving and respectful place, not misogynistic bs. Every once in awhile, a woman will roll her eyes or say something. In those instances, I apologize for being raised to be polite and deferential to women and then I walk first through the door and let her deal with it.

When I was a college student the Unitarian church was showing "The Great Dictator". My niece wanted to go. She is six years younger than I am. Knowing the Unitarians to be be of the liberal persuasion and not wanting to give offense I gave my niece the money to buy her own ticket before we went in.

When I was in college we took a "male deportment" course which covered a lot of practical information on how to conduct oneself in society--community, family and business. I remember well the definition of a gentleman was, "A gentleman never intentionally inflicts pain," perhaps not always practical but still good food for thought.

Peace,

Kipp

When I was in college we took a "male deportment" course which covered a lot of practical information on how to conduct oneself in society--community, family and business. I remember well the definition of a gentleman was, "A gentleman never intentionally inflicts pain," perhaps not always practical but still good food for thought.

Peace,

Kipp

Sounds like a good class and well needed today!

Being from the south, the nature of a gentleman is defined by the respect and courtesy one shows their elders, their youngers, those they love, those they hate, those that are different, those from whom they gain no advantage, those in need, and even those who don't know better. I have frequently and still routinely fail at following this, but I still remember these words from my grandmother and mother and in their memory still try my best.

I consider myself one because someone else called me one, as a compliment.

I could imagine one thinking that they needed to earn the title of Gentleman. On the other hand, one is perfectly capable of assessing whether or not he is a gentleman in his dealings with people.

a few of my more liberal, independent, modern female friends have told me directly to not hold doors for them.

I tend to hold doors open for others irrespective of gender, but I've never come across one of those women who resent the perceived condescension. I would not hesitate to tell them that it was a common courtesy, not a 'ladies' thing.

I tend to hold doors open for others irrespective of gender, but I've never come across one of those women who resent the perceived condescension. I would not hesitate to tell them that it was a common courtesy, not a 'ladies' thing.

I love to have doors held open for me.

Being from the south, the nature of a gentleman is defined by the respect and courtesy one shows their elders, their youngers, those they love, those they hate, those that are different, those from whom they gain no advantage, those in need, and even those who don't know better. I have frequently and still routinely fail at following this, but I still remember these words from my grandmother and mother and in their memory still try my best.

A gentleman never uses dangling modifiers.