Finally working SF!

VictorPowers
This topic is 2191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as everyone has said, don’t do Fisherman’s Wharf. Stay around Union Square, or Mid-Market. There’s a really cute, new place called The Proper Hotel. Small rooms, but well designed! It’s proximate to the Tenderloin, so the surrounding inhabitants are a bit sketchy, but you’re right on the Muni line.

The advice to not stay at Fishermans Wharf is good. Try the Union Square area.... or Nob Hill. Anything along Market Street, or in the Financial District would work for clients' access.

Although its been years, my recommendation for a San Francisco getaway is Hotel Majestic in Pacific Heights. But probably not advisable for hosting.

Hello there Forum members. I need some insight on my first visit to San Francisco on July 29- Aug 1. I am looking at the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf. Would that be a good area to stay? Other options I'm considering are near Yerba Buena Center.

Bad area… you'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere at night and during the day it's crowded with tourists, feel like a demonstration.

Stay in Union Square as @LaffingBear bear said and folks will get to you and you to them easily. Besides you can come back walking from an outcall to the Castro.

I love the Park Central wit South view of Moscone Center, I've read you LOVE going downstairs to meet guys and that hotel requires a key to go upstairs, it's perfect for you. The Westin on Powell street is nice but make sure as a platinum you get a free upgrade to stay in the tower, the old part is close to the street and too noisy. The Meridien is also a good choice.

@Lance_Navarro I looked at the Proper as it's an SPG Property and I'm Platinum through that chain. Many many reviews said the location was terrible for a few reasons. I like the pictures and the gym is decent too! Maybe another time?

Avoid it!

One more thing, make sure to go up and down the streets to keep that butt in shape! Free exercise.

Marriott took over the holiday inn in union square. Great location. Added benefit of proximity to NobHill Theatre, which should be a good source of clientele.

There was a time NobHill lodged their headliners at that Holiday Inn. I havent been in the rooms since visiting with NHT performers... but Marriott's probably upgraded some.

For tourists... I would never recommend staying at Fishermans Wharf.

Fishermans Wharf is a must see&do, but once in your life is enough. Theres no reason to stay in that area.

One of the experiences of living in SF Bay... friends and relatives visit. I have the same routine with all of them. "Choose a weekday I have to work. Spend a day as a tourist. Ride a cable car. Go to Fisherman's Wharf & Ghirardelli Square. Take a bay cruise or go Alcatraz. I'll meet you after and we'll go for a nice dinner."

I also use the exact same route/itinerary to show visitors around the city that relatives used with me on my first visit in the 80s.

For tourists...

Spend a day as a tourist. Ride a cable car. Go to Fisherman's Wharf & Ghirardelli Square. Take a bay cruise or go Alcatraz. I'll meet you after and we'll go for a nice dinner."

But you should mention at least one other thing that I think is unique to SF and can't be found elsewhere in the continental US - the asian art museum ....

But you should mention at least one other thing that I think is unique to SF and can't be found elsewhere in the continental US - the asian art museum ....

There are tons of other things to do. The Asian Art Museum, many of the GGPark attractions, dining, neighhorhood exploration, etc. I even recommend Beach Blanket Babylon, and would see it as often as once every 7-8 years. I was identifying the recommended, once-is-enough activities for visitors, that I choose not to repeat.

Locals don't really like Union Square or FiDi. The traffic is heavy, the streets are torn up and parking is expensive. Yerba Buena or SOMA are better choices. I did an incall once with a guy who stayed at a nice hotel in Japantown. It was great-easy to get to, plenty of metered parking on the street.

As a San Francisco resident, my recommendation is Union Square. Take a look at The Florence, The Marker, The Chsncellor, The Sir Francis Drake, The Orchard and many more.

I've stayed in all of the above-named hotels and have not been disappointed. From what's there, my first choice would be The Marker. ...have stayed there 3Xs within the past six months and like everything about this lodging.

Edited by Axiom2001

Locals don't really like Union Square or FiDi. The traffic is heavy, the streets are torn up and parking is expensive. Yerba Buena or SOMA are better choices. I did an incall once with a guy who stayed at a nice hotel in Japantown. It was great-easy to get to, plenty of metered parking on the street.

Absolutely agree. As a local I prefer somewhere other than Union Square or FiDi. I can take public transport relatively easily since I live in the city but people in other towns around the bay don’t have great options unless they live off a BART line. I actually don’t mind visiting Fisherman’s Wharf or maybe more towards the quieter North Point/North Beach side.

Virtually everyone will poo-poo these suggestions, but as a practical gay who gets shit done, I'm accustomed to it:

1. San Francisco Marriott Marquis (the one at 780 Mission Street): No, it is not super-posh, but yes the staff is great; it is near MUNI, BART, and SoMa parking garages; Marriott is very supportive of the LGBTQ community (scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index); and your SPG status should be good there now that Marriott owns Starwood. It is also a big hotel, so your clients' privacy and anonymity is pretty well assured
  2. Hilton Union Square: BIG hotel that also has a Starbucks and a decent restaurant and bar. The rooms are OK and it is close to MUNI and BART. Parking is a bitch.
  3. Hilton Financial District: I like this hotel, but the elevators are a pain in the ass, the streets nearby are all torn up, and there's not a whole lot of "there" there.

Well... the opinions here are going to be varied. I think it depends on prioritizing factors.

• More inclined to host in-calls or make outcalls?
  • Feel locals or tourists are bigger market?
  • How time off the clock will be spent?

The comment regarding traffic is accurate. I was driving around SF this past Saturday. I wouldn't drive around Union Sq, SOMA, Financial District business weekdays. Historically, weekends were tolerable. But even on Sat, traffic was nightmarish. There is so much construction everywhere... it feels like city planners forgot to consider the combined effects. There is literally only one clogged route to many destinations. When its that bad... Uber, bus, cab also suffer.

I expect most visitors wouldnt bother with a car. And locals know not to try to drive. Choice of a walkable destination may merit extra consideration.

+1 Ahhh..... The TenderKnob! I remember it well.

The advice to not stay at Fishermans Wharf is good. Try the Union Square area.... or Nob Hill. Anything along Market Street, or in the Financial District would work for clients' access.

Although its been years, my recommendation for a San Francisco getaway is Hotel Majestic in Pacific Heights. But probably not advisable for hosting.

+1 Ahhh..... The TenderKnob! I remember it well.

The Majestic is in Lower Pacific Heights, which is actually the portion of the Western Addition and the Fillmore that borders Pacific Heights. The real estate industry relabeled it in the 80s-'90s.

The TenderKnob is the area of the Tenderloin that transitions to Nob Hill, e.g. Post and Sutter from Van Ness to Union Square. It was known as an area where you could find decent housing at affordable rents. I had a good friend who lived in that area, on Post a couple blocks from Union Square. His apartment was CAVERNOUS, it was so big. The building was shabby, but he only paid 900.00 for all that space.

And it works the other way around as well - around Union Square is where you can access clients. I lived in SF for a decade so I had the advantage of being able to do in calls anytime, but my out calls with people visiting the city and staying in hotels were typically in hotels around Union Square. If you stay there it is also an easy Muni ride to get to the Castro or BART ride to other areas.

Before living there I just stayed at whatever was offering good deals on Priceline around Union Square/Market Street. I've been with clients at the Marquis or Hilton I don't know how many times, on my dime or their's. There's no hotel I can recall that was bad either in terms of not having what I needed (a clean bed) and also not having issues with my visitors. Given the economy right now I'd guess the main issue is really price. It's not a cheap city to visit. So I'd just get the best deal you can get around Union Square.