Finally working SF!

VictorPowers
This topic is 2194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

And it works the other way around as well - around Union Square is where you can access clients. I lived in SF for a decade so I had theadvantage of being able to do in calls anytime, but my out calls with people visiting the city and staying in hotels were typically in hotels around Union Square. If you stay there it is also an easy Muni ride to get to the Castro or BART ride to other areas.

Before living there I just stayed at whatever was offering good deals on Priceline around Union Square/Market Street. I've been with clients at the Marquis or Hilton I don't know how many times, on my dime or their's. There's no hotel I can recall that was bad either in terms of not having what I needed (a clean bed) and also not having issues with my visitors. Given the economy right now I'd guess the main issue is really price. It's not a cheap city to visit. So I'd just get the best deal you can get around Union Square.

I hadn't even thought of that. That's where well- heeled tourists will be found.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly a variety of opinions, the only thing we all seem to agree on is "don't stay at the Wharf".

There's another issue. It was a one-off but I had an outcall in the Wharf one night and it was Chinese New Years or something, I honestly don't recall, and traffic was horrific. It would have been quicker to bike from my place at Dolores Park. I was late, and I kept in touch with the client and he had nothing other than me on his agenda for an one or two hour call so it worked out fine. But getting to his hotel in the Wharf due to some celebration was just a nightmare.

So yeah, don't stay there. When I was looking to move to SF I actually asked clients for their thoughts re: where would be easiest and they said the same - the Wharf would be a negative in terms of access. There are some boutiquey hotels around the Castro/Dolores Park and I visited clients there, but I think they tend to be on the pricey side.

Virtually everyone will poo-poo these suggestions, but as a practical gay who gets shit done, I'm accustomed to it:

1. San Francisco Marriott Marquis (the one at 780 Mission Street): No, it is not super-posh, but yes the staff is great; it is near MUNI, BART, and SoMa parking garages; Marriott is very supportive of the LGBTQ community (scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index); and your SPG status should be good there now that Marriott owns Starwood. It is also a big hotel, so your clients' privacy and anonymity is pretty well assured
  2. Hilton Union Square: BIG hotel that also has a Starbucks and a decent restaurant and bar. The rooms are OK and it is close to MUNI and BART. Parking is a bitch.
  3. Hilton Financial District: I like this hotel, but the elevators are a pain in the ass, the streets nearby are all torn up, and there's not a whole lot of "there" there.

As a non-local I agree. The southern Union Square area on Market is central and well-populated with shopping malls restaurants, etc. I like the Marquis better but the Parc 55 Hilton is sometimes cheaper. There are some nice small gay inns actually in Castro but not sure if they're good for business.

As a non-local I agree. The southern Union Square area on Market is central and well-populated with shopping malls restaurants, etc. I like the Marquis better but the Parc 55 Hilton is sometimes cheaper. There are some nice small gay inns actually in Castro but not sure if they're good for business.

Dont stay at Parc 55. Keeps changing ownership/brand-affiliation. ( currently a Wyndham?) And bad karma.... it was the site of a big prostitution bust many years ago.

Please tell me that's a typo.[/QUOTe]

I'm exaggerating, but just a little. When we stay in a hotel, we always like to get coffee and scones or muffins brought up. It's never inexpensive, usually 25.00 or so. But at the W, coffee and two blueberry muffins cost $46.00.

Dont stay at Parc 55. Keeps changing ownership/brand-affiliation. ( currently a Wyndham?) And bad karma.... it was the site of a big prostitution bust many years ago.

It is actually a Hilton now. Switched from Wyndham within the last year or two. Which, of course, proves your point.