Bar for Mature Men & Admirers?

Mature75
This topic is 2214 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Years ago there were several bars in the Los Angeles area that catered to the mature set and their admirers. It seems they have all closed and there's nothing at present in that category. I've been out of the scene for some time now but now that I'm retired would like to begin socializing again. Just looking for a place where I'm not seriously outnumbered by twinks. Also, whatever happened to the Numbers restaurant/bar? Now that place was a hoot.

Years ago there were several bars in the Los Angeles area that catered to the mature set and their admirers. It seems they have all closed and there's nothing at present in that category. I've been out of the scene for some time now but now that I'm retired would like to begin socializing again. Just looking for a place where I'm not seriously outnumbered by twinks. Also, whatever happened to the Numbers restaurant/bar? Now that place was a hoot.

I believe Numbers got converted into a sports bar called the gym. Weho is mostly for twinks and twunks. The only thing I can think of is the Gold Coast.

Silverlake would probably be better if you're looking for a more mature crowd. The eagle, fault line, etc.

Yes...The Numbers is long gone, and yes it was in a league by itself. Spent a couple of decades having lots of fun there, some legal, some not... I've been out of LA for about 4 years, but my stop in WEHO always included

Cafe D’ Etoile, The bar is small but a bit more upscale, intimate and cruisey with locals. Fun in the afternoons and early evenings, and dinner curbside provides a lovely array of eye candy.

@caliguy is correct, the Gold Coast is very cruisey, lots of local boys that are for hire. It's rough around the edges, and a bit scandalous, and every bit a 'dive' bar, but if it's your thing, you can have fun. I liked Trunks, less drama, great local crowd that is friendly and flirtatious. If things are not happening, you can always work your way down the street to the larger clubs and cross the street to the Motherlode. I personally would never recommend Pump or the Abbey. Too much attitude and LA BS. ;). Santa Monica blvd still has something for everyone. Things have changed from the 'heyday' and I miss how things used to be, but time marches on, and one has to work with what one has...good luck. :)

And lastly...I second @MikeBiDude suggestion of Silver Fox in Long Beach. It's worth trip.

Edited by bigvalboy

I have nothing helpful to add.

But I will share a wry observation, triggered by the topic.

Because it was patronized by an older crowd, Twin Peaks (famous as the first gay bar with windows in an era when such bars were dark, minimally advertised, often basements) in the San Francisco Castro neighborhood was known as "the glass coffin." Ive never been inside. Decades ago, I once told my buds, as we walked by..." if you ever see me in there... start planning my funeral."

Still never been, but these days, I'm considering checking it out. The things 25-30 years can do to attitude and perspective .....

Because it was patronized by an older crowd, Twin Peaks (famous as the first gay bar with windows in an era when such bars were dark, minimally advertised, often basements) in the San Francisco Castro neighborhood was known as "the glass coffin." Ive never been inside. Decades ago, I once told my buds, as we walked by..." if you ever see me in there... start planning my funeral."

Still never been, but these days, I'm considering checking it out. The things 25-30 years can do to attitude and perspective .....

When I lived there we would say the same things. Glass Coffin was often used. I was in my twenties and it all seemed so far off. Today it comes off as so hateful and disrespectful. Of coarse maybe that's just me just being selfish and not wanting the same disrespect thrown at me. :confused:

I always used to wonder how anyone knew that it was time for them to start hanging out at the Twin Peaks. I'm almost 66 and I've never been in the place.

I always used to wonder how anyone knew that it was time for them to start hanging out at the Twin Peaks.

There are several potential triggers... could be any one of them.

1. The inability to sleep through the night without getting up to take a leak
  2. First purchase of denture paste or powder
  3. Recognizing the need to trim nose and/or ear hair more frequently than hair on any other body part.
  4. Having joints that work better after a few hours' activity... or heat.
  5. Lunching with an old friend and realizing a good portion of conversation was about medical ailments.
  6. Increasingly frequent reactions to the world around you that can be categorized as judgements starting with "kids today....."
  7. Rising from a chair, hearing a groan, looking around, and realizing your father's nowhere near.

I only went to Universe once. Only night of my life I slept in my car. :rolleyes:

Well the key word here is "slept" of course.

Club Universe took my virginity away. Well sober wise anyways. I would go there and always be in amazement of the boys coming in around midnight full of energy. Then finally a boy offered me something of a white substance and i finally understood. I mean wow. It was like getting the keys to another world of fantasy. Now if I could just freeze life and live that way forever it would've been great. o_O

Edited by caliguy

Guys, thanks for the comments and suggestions. The Other Side, a bar in Silverlake, was a great place, but it closed a number of years ago. I live quite a distance from the Silver Fox in Long Beach, but may give it a try sometime.