Bidets

Avalon
This topic is 1922 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I first encountered a Toto bidet washlet at the Hyatt in Seoul Korea and loved it. Came home and found that if you look a lot of washlets are available including at Costcos or Sams Club on occasion and certainly on Amazon. The Totos cost around $600-800, US brands are cheaper whereas the Korean brands - as good are cheaper and i have picked up one for as low as $295.00. Easy installs and replaces your existing toilet seat. A good website is Sanicare.com. You will also find these at a lot of Asian stores if you live in a major city

Love my bidets -and save a lot of trees - and prevent drains from clogging in these days of low flow toilets

Rick

Edited by rickinoc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

They're wonderful! Sadly you don't see as many in Florida as you did in LA. During a remodel once, I asked my contractor about re configuring the bathroom so that I could install one. He had never heard of a bidet, and trying to explain it to him left him starring back at me like a deer in headlights. I should have realized then that I needed a new contractor, but I was shallow then, and I had hired for looks not brains...

Lack of education... I don’t think he can understand why seasons are opposite in the Southern Hemisphere either

I deeply (very deeply) miss them. They are part of any standard bathroom in Argentina, poor or rich.

1MjLugx.gif

This image reminded me of a story told by an old friend. Back in the late 60s he was on a high school summer trip to Europe. When the tour group arrived in their Paris Hotel, a girl poked her head out of her door and shouted down the hall " Hey, anybody know how man capfuls of Woolite to a Bidet?" Ah, the innocents abroad.

I’ve used and enjoyed a bidet in both Europe and Asia. My new apartment in Kuala Lumpur came equipped not with a bidet but what looks like a kitchen sink sprayer on a long hose on the wall beside the toilet. They are common in Malaysia where hole in the floor toilets are also common. There’s no choice of temperature on these and I’ve yet to perfect the art of hitting the right target without inundating most of the bathroom. How someone wearing western clothes would accomplish this in a public toilet is beyond me. Maybe that’s why God invented sarongs.

My concern about bidets is the risk of contamination. It has been shwon that aerosols from toilets spread widely in the bathroom even on to toothbrushes on the sink. Although I doubt anyone has studied this I worry that coliform bacteria and even Hepatitis A and E can be transmitted from prior users. Also bidets may save trees but in drought prone areas the need to save water takes priority over saving trees

• 10 months later...

I don't have an electronic bidet at my house, but I do have those that you can buy for $25 from Amazon. The powder room has a handheld bidet. I installed them five years ago, and my household toilet paper consumption has gone down to maybe three sheets per pooping session—and it's just to dry off and get rid of any residue.

I am having my bathroom remodeled and am now looking through a list of toilets available. There was one for over $9000.00. I thought to myself, "unless it also butt fucks me, there ain't no way."

There are some toilet seats that allow it to be used as a bidet also and they're very common in Detroit (as I pointed above) because so many Japanese business men who go there.

I’ve used and enjoyed a bidet in both Europe and Asia. My new apartment in Kuala Lumpur came equipped not with a bidet but what looks like a kitchen sink sprayer on a long hose on the wall beside the toilet. They are common in Malaysia where hole in the floor toilets are also common. .

I believe those are to be used with your hand to clean? Bidets are hands free? never tried a bidet though.

“We live in the dark ages of post-shit cleanup. In a wide world that has long embraced the effectiveness of anus-washing after doing number two, America hangs back, clutching our rolls of Charmin, despite plenty of evidence that it would serve us better to wash instead of wipe. We may be obsessed with sanitation, yet we insist, against reason, on the least-sanitary, least-healthy option for managing our poop.

Several bidet companies have tried to market their products in North America on a variety of different measures, from their technological impressiveness to the evidence of the health benefits they offer. But they have yet to overcome the significant hurdle that exists because North American consumers simply aren't used to considering the purchase of a toilet for any reason but an immediate need for one.”

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/xyyqk7/lets-be-real-americans-are-walking-around-with-dirty-anuses

1484327587736-GettyImages-590062982.jpeg