Do you tip extra on Easter Sunday?

7829V
This topic is 2250 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I tip big during all of Holy Week!

Holy week. I spent my early childhood in a small town in Western New York. Probably a third of the kids I went to a school with were Catholic. They always talked about Holy Week and Novenas and 40- hour vigils. I used to think it must be rough being Catholic. I went to the Episcopal Church. There, they called it Passion Week. Holy Week sounded more exotic. On Holy Thursday -Maunday Thursday to protestants - the newspapers were full of pictures of priests and bishops blessing the oil for the sacrament of Unction for the next year. Different time.

Guest InthePines

I've offered to take a traveling masseur out to eat for Sunday lunch. I've hired him twice before and he'll be in town this weekend, so I figured why should we both have our Easter meal alone.

Shops, even cafes and restaurants, tend to close here on Good Friday and Easter Day. Supermarkets are closed. Petrol stations and the convenience stores they have tend to be open. I wouldn't tip extra on those days, the staff are as likely as not to be atheist, Hindu, Muslim or someone else who doesn't care. Or even Orthodox, for whom Easter is next weekend. If I were inclined to tip for the occasion it would be for people who manifest their faith. Another point here is that the two days (and Easter Monday) are public holidays so staff working those days typically are paid double their normal rate. I realise that doesn't apply in the US.

Shops, even cafes and restaurants, tend to close here on Good Friday and Easter Day. Supermarkets are closed. Petrol stations and the convenience stores they have tend to be open. I wouldn't tip extra on those days, the staff are as likely as not to be atheist, Hindu, Muslim or someone else who doesn't care. Or even Orthodox, for whom Easter is next weekend. If I were inclined to tip for the occasion it would be for people who manifest their faith. Another point here is that the two days (and Easter Monday) are public holidays so staff working those days typically are paid double their normal rate. I realise that doesn't apply in the US.

I noticed yesterday that things were really quiet here on good Friday, like a lot of people were out of town. I went in a store owned by an Afghan couple, and the wife commented on how quiet it was and asked if it was a holiday. I said "Yes, sort of." I was a little surprised that she wouldn't have picked up from the media that it was Good Friday.

I know Boo LOL

Honestly though I think I’m a pretty good tipper, holiday or not

The mean-spirited don't really understand what tipping is for. In the northeast where I grew up, tipping is often called, somewhat crudely, "greasing." And that is exactly what it does. Like grease, tipping just makes things go more smoothly. You're spreading a little bit of good will in the form of cash.

Yes, Easter and Christmas are similarly big deals over in Europe.

In America, Christmas is a much bigger deal than Easter for some reason.

Having said that, I'd be inclined to tip extra undisirrigardless.

It's an important day to many so let's spread some cheer.

Especially if the masseur comes up with an interesting thematic touch, like massaging you on "a cross" or (gently) whipping you or something ;-)...