Losing interest at work

MassageDrew
This topic is 2273 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In my years of working I made a commitment to myself I would never take a job or leave a job over money. I never wanted my job to define who I am. I have even told my boss when doing my job review that I was not interested in having more responsibility to secure a raise. It never hurts to always be on the lookout for another job and when the right one comes along you snatch rather than settling for the next offer.

I have been laid off twice, first time I volunteered to get laid off and ended up having a job ready for me by the time my time ended, second time took 6 month off.

Even if I was not actively looking I enjoyed going through job interviews. It helps to know what's out there and and to keep your interview skills sharp.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about whether you are just bored or whether there is something you would rather be doing or someplace you would rather be doing it. If you're just bored, suck it up because for the vast majority of people, work isn't particularly enjoyable. But if there is something you'd rather be doing or someplace else you'd rather live, I would really give thought to being bolder.

As I'm wrapping up my career and moving into a retirement that I'm very excited about, my one big regret is that I was never bold enough to move to New York City and experience life there. Regrets suck and I should have taken the risk when I was younger and more flexible. Regrets late in life really really REALLY suck!

I got laid off ... almost unheard of for physicians ... due to medical reasons ... actionable?

I agree, except maybe not ASAP, but start the job search. And although you feel secure, all heads eventually roll.

Not unheard of anymore. The local hospitals bought up many of the private practices in my area, including mine. After the two year guarantee, most of the doctors are laid off. Their offices are combined and nurse practitioners and physician assistants or fresh out of residency physicians are replacing them. I was laid off. I became ill and was out of work for several months. I returned to work to find out within weeks that the office was being closed and only 3 of the 10 physicians were continuing. The three who were asked to stay were the youngest and the least expensive. The ones upon whose reputation the practice was made, were booted. I collected unemployment and found a part time teaching position. Six months later I was offered the job I have now. Starting salary was 33% increase from previous. So things worked out.

My one regret with all this was the two years I worked for the hospital. I was unhappy with the job most of the time. I could have gotten out but I thought it might improve. It did not.

My advice to the OP, look for a job. The time to look to change jobs is the first time you seriously consider it.

Depending on your financial situation you may want to stick it out but begin looking you may find a new job in an unexpected place. I work in an industry and interviewed with multiple companies before finding a job in a different part of my industry better suited to my personality. It paid less but the culture, distance, and mission of the company felt better for me. Also bear in mind making connections can help even if they are outside of your field.

I guess I should’ve mentioned that I have stepped away once. I gave my resignation letter sometime last year to my manager, my director, amd HR. My director campaigned hard for me to stay. I told him that I needed a break and approved my leave. I went to Europe for 3 weeks. It was still my decision whether or not I’d actually return.

I did exactly the same thing, except it was for 4 weeks. It was my first long vacation in a long time, and I wanted to extend it if I was having fun. Plus my job was boring.

My boss asked me to make it a leave of absence instead of a resignation so I'd have the option to return, and he asked me to think of a job that I would like to do.

On my last day of vacation, I thought of a job that would be fun and it was something the company needed, although they didn't realize it until I laid it on them. I ended up working for my boss's boss and, since it was a one-off position in the company, he asked me to come up with my own pay plan. I enjoyed that job for a couple of years, until someone at the corporate office decided I was making too much money and wanted to rein me in. From that bit of news until my resignation was just a second or two. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

But it was a good run and what I learned was that, when the company lets you know that they don't want to lose you, it's a good time for figuring out what would make you happy and asking for it.

Assuming your company isn't too bureaucratic, it sounds like you might be in the same position.

Good luck! http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.png

I’m torn because people say they love me all the time. One even claimed that others love me but they don’t know me. They think I’m mysterious. I do try to keep my work and personal life separate. In any case, staying is not the question. There are lots of reasons to stay but what if those no longer matter?

I don’t think there’s that much bureaucracy with the company but it does exist within my department. My manager and a few others have this thing going on that I and one of the guy that was let go were really the outsiders in a sense. He know he can’t touch me because his manager likes me so when he had to choose it was the other guy for sure. I felt bad because the decision was a mistake. They let go of a very capable, competent guy. I was grooming him as sort of a backup because nothing else gets done when I take time off. Instead, the manager kept a mentally unstable person who is near a nervous breakdown because of his personal issues outside of work. He was kept mainly because he’s related to one of the guys within their circle. It’s a shame really. They’re willing to lose good employees just so they can be buddy-buddies. Then again, you’ll find that in every workplace.

What should you do when you’ve lost interest at work?

There was a mass layoff the other day but I’m in one of the somewhat secure position so I’m safe. I know I’ll have the job regardless of the direction the company goes. It’s still a good company and somewhat rewarding. With that said, I feel like I’d rather be elsewhere at this point. Do I pick job security over what I’m feeling?

What would you guys do?

It is possible to rehabilitate your attitude toward your work. You can even do that over and over again. I know because I've done it. I get tired of my work, but being tired of my work is a luxury I can't afford, since I'm self-employed and I have clients counting on me. For me, it's a question of getting a little tough with myself and doubling down on my effort to be the best at what I do.

They’re willing to lose good employees just so they can be buddy-buddies. Then again, you’ll find that in every workplace.

Many years ago, a somewhat wise fellow employee told me "Politics trumps finance, and finance trumps fairness." In other words, administrators will first look at what keeps their position the most comfortable, regardless of the financial consequences for the organization. After that, financial considerations will be more important than what's fair. If you feel cronyism is too strong at your workplace, and you're not with the "in" crowd, that would have me worried, regardless of how invaluable you may be from a logical or financial perspective.

I’m torn because people say they love me all the time. One even claimed that others love me but they don’t know me. They think I’m mysterious. I do try to keep my work and personal life separate. In any case, staying is not the question. There are lots of reasons to stay but what if those no longer matter?

I don’t think there’s that much bureaucracy with the company but it does exist within my department. My manager and a few others have this thing going on that I and one of the guy that was let go were really the outsiders in a sense. He know he can’t touch me because his manager likes me so when he had to choose it was the other guy for sure. I felt bad because the decision was a mistake. They let go of a very capable, competent guy. I was grooming him as sort of a backup because nothing else gets done when I take time off. Instead, the manager kept a mentally unstable person who is near a nervous breakdown because of his personal issues outside of work. He was kept mainly because he’s related to one of the guys within their circle. It’s a shame really. They’re willing to lose good employees just so they can be buddy-buddies. Then again, you’ll find that in every workplace.

Their decisions on who was let go (and why), and who stayed sounds bad. Be prepared, you may find your work life may get worse before it gets better, with upper management saying things like we need to move forward, tough decisions were made, a leaner team will ensure our future success, etc..

If you decide to look outside, and find another place to work, be sure if you decide to leave. I once heard, if you give notice, and your current employer does what they need to do to make you stay, all that has happened is your exit now is on the employer's timetable. Once they have groomed another to have your knowledge/expertise, you will be considered expendable.

In my years of working I made a commitment to myself I would never take a job or leave a job over money.

It's a bit of a luxury to be able to take that position unless you are an outlier in terms of prospects or independently wealthy.

Even if I was not actively looking I enjoyed going through job interviews. It helps to know what's out there and and to keep your interview skills sharp.

Ok, if you enjoy interviews then that's a whole other thing I guess.

It's a bit of a luxury to be able to take that position unless you are an outlier in terms of prospects or independently wealthy.

Ok, if you enjoy interviews then that's a whole other thing I guess.

Though not wealthy at all you are right that financially I was able to take that position. I guess what I meant was that money could not be a sole basis if I was not happy at the job I would be at. I actually took a 40percent pay cut to go to my current job which I love. It was not until 10 years later I finally make as much as I did before quitting my other job 13 years ago. But you are right, that is not the norm.

That is par for the course. The only places I see things different are in very rapidly growing companies that need talent. Steady state companies breeds and rewards mediocracy, passing the buck, pretentious twats who think the sun spins around them.

Edited by Walker1

That is par for the course. The only places I see things different are in very rapidly growing companies that need talent. Steady state companies breeds and rewards mediocracy, passing the buck, pretentious twats who think the sun spins around them.

And that’s sort of a situation I find myself in at the moment. While they recognize the work that I do I’m forced to work with lazy, incompetent assholes. Not to mention one twat, as you ut it, who is always complaining and feels the world revolves around her.

And that’s sort of a situation I find myself in at the moment. While they recognize the work that I do I’m forced to work with lazy, incompetent assholes. Not to mention one twat, as you ut it, who is always complaining and feels the world revolves around her.

Unfortunately that is difficult to avoid. Big growth companies or even growth divisions within a company value talent and skill. Steady state-they do like talent, but they can run without major changes and so politics, backstabbing, whack jobs take over. The ubiquitous Power point presenter becomes the oracle-vs the guy who can get things done and done right.

It depends, for me with kids, I just tune it out and sometimes even laugh. I am not aiming to be in the C-suite. I get insurance for my kids, put a roof over our heads, flexible timing to deal with family emergencies and very little travel. There is going to be some bad -cranky people, nothing interesting at work. Yeah sometimes dabble a little in office politics, mainly to make sure I am not roadkill when someone is trying to throw me under the bus-but otherwise just cruising along.

If you are single, you have lot of options. But as they say-this too shall pass. Even if you move to something very interesting, things change. only you can decide what you need and makes you happy or actually learn to be happy. Sometimes though the company itself could be in danger of shutting down or being bought out-in which case, dust up that old resume. Those of us with dependents have other limitations.