Losing interest at work

MassageDrew
This topic is 2267 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What should you do when you’ve lost interest at work?

There was a mass layoff the other day but I’m in one of the somewhat secure position so I’m safe. I know I’ll have the job regardless of the direction the company goes. It’s still a good company and somewhat rewarding. With that said, I feel like I’d rather be elsewhere at this point. Do I pick job security over what I’m feeling?

What would you guys do?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked job security when I went through a phase like that. My reason was for the health insurance. Before ACA, I would never have got coverage, or complete coverage if I left due to preexisting conditions. Fortunately, my company was large, and there were other opportunities within.

A new job may have a learning curve (work and people), depending on your field, or your expertise could make you valuable to another employer. Consider culture. Do you like those fortunate to still be there, and accepted. Are you micromanaged, or allowed autonomy so long no one is looking for something, but you're not there. Also consider what other benefits you receive such as life/disability/accident insurance, 401k, stock, profit sharing, etc..

I’m in one of the somewhat secure position so I’m safe.

I know I’ll have the job regardless of the direction the company goes.

It’s still a good company and somewhat rewarding.

based on the quoted above, I'd stick it out and see how you feel in a few months......many would kill for your situation

Due to a confluence of events.... a boss I didnt like, lost interest in work, and a commute I detested.... I just quit.

On one hand, I was very proud of myself to get out of the situation.... I hear so many people talk about jobs they suffer through, for any number of reasons. I sort of felt like I struck a blow for independence, against employers who make little effort or give little concern to employee welfare.

On the other hand, while I'm comfortable, I have second thoughts regarding the financial, career, and social effects of my decision.

Thanks guys, yeah I’m staying for now and will evaluate as a things unfold. It’s just defeating to not look forward to coming to the office though I do love what I do

Apply for a Vendors Permit for Daytona Beach, Florida -- buy a truck - sell stuff to hot boys right on the Beach and read good books - My plan for when my job disappears

Apply for a Vendors Permit for Daytona Beach, Florida -- buy a truck - sell stuff to hot boys right on the Beach and read good books - My plan for when my job disappears

There was a dude on Waikiki beach, riding up and down, selling Domino's Pizzas. An Asian lady from Vancouver gave me half of her pepperoni pizza.

I hear you. Up to a year ago I loved my job. Lots of shakeups, changes, and uncertainty in the last year, and now I dread going into work every day. I'm somewhat-lackadaisically looking for new work, but my skill set has gotten VERY specific to what I do here, my "marketable" skills are rusty. And there are a LOT of advantages to this job - extremely flexible work-at-home policy (great for a single dog dad), and the money's not bad either.

My father told me recently that he couldn't sleep Sunday nights, dreading going back to work. I'm not quite there yet, but I know a bit about how he feels.

Thanks guys, yeah I’m staying for now and will evaluate as a things unfold. It’s just defeating to not look forward to coming to the office though I do love what I do

You don't say how long you've been there, which would make a difference to me. I worked at a company for a long time and towards the end I was bored. I should have left sooner and enjoyed new challenges as I built on my existing experience and expertise. Also the pay is often better for a new hire. I know some people who were bored with their job but were going to stick it out for ten more years until they could retire. I thought, wow, what if they die in the next year or so? They spent all that time unhappy at work thinking they'd have a nice retirement. I wouldn't be worth it to me. Good luck to you!

You don't say how long you've been there, which would make a difference to me. I worked at a company for a long time and towards the end I was bored. I should have left sooner and enjoyed new challenges as I built on my existing experience and expertise. Also the pay is often better for a new hire. I know some people who were bored with their job but were going to stick it out for ten more years until they could retire. I thought, wow, what if they die in the next year or so? They spent all that time unhappy at work thinking they'd have a nice retirement. I wouldn't be worth it to me. Good luck to you!

Not too long. Nearly 3 years. I’ve worked longer elsewhere

There was a mass layoff the other day but I’m in one of the somewhat secure position so I’m safe. I know I’ll have the job regardless of the direction the company goes. It’s still a good company and somewhat rewarding. With that said, I feel like I’d rather be elsewhere at this point. Do I pick job security over what I’m feeling?

What would you guys do?

I have completely lost interest also. I am doing the absolute minimum amount of work just to keep sane, but at this point, I would really like to get fired since I should get a significant severance pay. So I hope they notice soon that I am useless, as it is not in my interest to resign.

With kids and being a single parent, work is just work. I have learnt to adjust my attitude to realize-This too shall pass. I have had good jobs that turned bad, bad jobs that turned good etc etc. I currently have a crappy one as my manager-but I don't care. If I get laid off, I get laid off-nothing to do here.

Life is a mystery and so I just go with the flow . As a single parent , I do have restrictions regarding travel and God forbid something would happen to me long term. But soldier on. Do I wish it to be more interesting, soul refreshing yada, yada-yeah-but hey I could be unemployed, no skills, no degree, no hope too-so I think I have it good and this too shall pass!

What would you guys do?

I know a lot of people who switched jobs because they thought the grass would be greener elsewhere, only to find it wasn't. I guess the issue is why you'd rather be elsewhere. It's hard to argue to quit a solid job that you find even somewhat rewarding unless you're very confident of finding something better. Especially if you're vested in a pension system.

And that’s the thing. I have lost interest probably because of the politics in the office. Otherwise I’m still their most productive staff, the reliable one, the everything one could ask for from an employee.

I guess I should’ve mentioned that I have stepped away once. I gave my resignation letter sometime last year to my manager, my director, amd HR. My director campaigned hard for me to stay. I told him that I needed a break and approved my leave. I went to Europe for 3 weeks. It was still my decision whether or not I’d actually return. I was hoping things would be different. It really hasn’t. It was sort of ok for a week or two then it started again. I’m atthis point mentally checked out. I just do the routine of doing my work day in, day out.

I’m in one of the somewhat secure position so I’m safe

You have survived the first round of layoffs. You have no idea when the next round will hit. Prepare now. My company had a significant round of layoffs in 2016. In 2017, they closed the doors and went completely out of business. No one is safe. Large companies have layoffs too.

Start your search ASAP

I agree. If even passively, get started now (get resume updated, gather references, etc). Check out what the job market is like in your area. It'll be less stressful go through a job search when you already have one.

And that’s the thing. I have lost interest probably because of the politics in the office. Otherwise I’m still their most productive staff, the reliable one, the everything one could ask for from an employee.

I guess I should’ve mentioned that I have stepped away once. I gave my resignation letter sometime last year to my manager, my director, amd HR. My director campaigned hard for me to stay. I told him that I needed a break and approved my leave. I went to Europe for 3 weeks. It was still my decision whether or not I’d actually return. I was hoping things would be different. It really hasn’t. It was sort of ok for a week or two then it started again. I’m atthis point mentally checked out. I just do the routine of doing my work day in, day out.

I'll change my tune. It is time to leave ... I won't say ASAP [or in my field, STAT], but expeditiously.