Do you watch any cooking shows?

samhexum
This topic is 2240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have gotten a few tips and occasional inspiration, but I don't have the knife skills or equipment or patience to cook like the pros. Plus, due to bad carpal tunnel problems in each hand (had surgery on both, it came back in both), at times I don't have the dexterity.

I watch cooking shows to relax, or (to be honest) to get me hungry when I'm in the mood to eat.

America's Test Kitchen

Cook's Country

Martha Stewart's Cooking School

Martha Bakes

Lidia's Kitchen

(occasionally Sarah's Weeknight Meals or Ellie's Real Good Food or Pati's Mexican Table)

Edited by samhexum

I watch cooking shows to relax, or (to be honest) to get me hungry when I'm in the mood to eat.

I feel much the same way. For me they are like magic shows. The masters on the order of Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, Gale Gand, and Lidia Bastianich mesmerize me every time with the ease and confidence with which they create. Then I virtually thank God I can't do what they do, as I would cheerfully and relentlessly dig my grave with my teeth.

Lidia is 70. She often has 'grandma' on the show. That's her mother: Bastianich lives in (Douglaston) Queens, New York, with her mother, Erminia Motika. Bastianich's own kitchen has served as the stage set for all four of her television series, and the garden that Erminia maintains provides many of the ingredients featured in the shows. Erminia, who answers to "grandma," frequently serves as a sous-chef in various episodes of the television series.

The only thing that annoys me about Lidia is that she's one of the few hosts who don't tell you how much of every ingredient she's adding. I guess she doesn't want to give anything away for free, figuring you'll buy her cookbooks to find out. I lived with my aunt for a few years in college, & Lidia's first restaurant was a few blocks away.

That's interesting, I've never taken notice of Lidia not giving the amounts of all her ingredients. For me it makes no difference, I would never be attempting that level of cuisine preparation, but I can understand it being an issue for serious cooking aficionados.

I have gotten a few tips and occasional inspiration, but I don't have the knife skills or equipment or patience to cook like the pros. Plus, due to bad carpal tunnel problems in each hand (had surgery on both, it came back in both), at times I don't have the dexterity.

America's Test Kitchen

Cook's Country

Martha Stewart's Cooking School

Martha Bakes

Lidia's Kitchen

(occasionally Sarah's Weeknight Meals or Ellie's Real Good Food or Patti's Mexican Table)

I'm in firm agreement with you on all of these shows except one. I actually keep a pad and pen handy to jot down ingredients, measurements and methods. I'm afraid Lidia is not on my list. As another posted below, she never gives quantities or amounts in her recipes and it drives me nuts. Martha is very precise in giving measurements and the ladies on the new America's Test Kitchen do likewise, but Lidia just chops away and throws the stuff in a pot and we're supposed to guess how much. And there's something about her manner that really irritates me. I can't say what it is but when she utters "Just like that" for the 15th time, I want to smack her. I stopped watching Ina for the same reason - her catchphrases really grated on me, particularly "It's not a party until you have to call the Fire Department", and "How bad can that be?"

Speaking of America's Test Kitchen, I think Dan Souza is a dish. I know the consensus on here is that Paul on "Great British Baking Show" is the hunk of the kitchen but I find Souza really hot. But I've always been attracted to that nerdy type. He is now the editor of a monthly cooking magazine I subscribe to and that combination of knowledge, erudition and nerdy handsomeness really pierces my heart. Sigh.

The Great British Baking Show is the best. Ever. I still watch the reruns knowing full well who's going to be Star Baker or who's going home. And I never miss Paul and Mary's Master Classes. Her madeira cake with chocolate ganache on top is the best cake recipe I've ever learned. I make it every Christmas and it's a "showstopper".

I think Dan Souza is a dish.

ohhh @actor61I am SO with you on ATC's Dan Souza! Hubbahubba!

I like him, too, & developed a bit of a crush on him, but now I can't stop noticing that he only talks out of one side of his mouth. Apparently he was born with some kind of nerve damage on the other side, & I find myself wondering what it would be like to kiss him.

I actually keep a pad and pen handy to jot down ingredients, measurements and methods. Martha is very precise in giving measurements and the ladies on the new America's Test Kitchen do likewise

Have you noticed there's always a little label at the top of all the bowls Martha uses (to add ingredients) that has the name of the ingredient and measurement on it?

I love Bridget & Julia as the co-hosts of ATK & Cook's Country. They obviously really get along well, & each has an endearing sense of humor. Julia laughs easily. I remember an episode from Kimball's last years where they ran outtakes after the credits and she kept cracking up. There was an episode from this season in which Bridget taught how to make sticky buns. Julia said she'd never really liked them, but went nuts over this recipe. She (& Bridget) couldn't stop eating, & Bridget cracked a couple of jokes (including "I wouldn't kick this out of bed"). Julia was laughing so much that at one point she said "I'm crying!" Of course, she never stopped eating the whole time. :D;):rolleyes::cool:

Julia has said her favorite part of cooking is the prep work. She is truly a marvel with a knife, but you definitely sit there thinking "I could never do that." That's why I like Ellie Krieger of Ellie's Real Good Food. When she chops veggies, it's obvious she's no virtuoso, as she does it slowly and methodically. Plus I like the fact that the credits show that her show was funded at least partially by crowdsourcing (gofundme).

From Wikipedia: Krieger was a fashion model during her late teens and early 20s for theWilhelmina Models agency. During her modeling career, she became conscientious of what she was eating and decided to change her eating habits to live a healthier life.

Krieger has a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition from Cornell University, and has a master's in nutrition from Columbia University. Krieger is a registered dietitian and nutritionist and was an adjunct professor at New York University in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health.

Have you noticed there's always a little label at the top of all the bowls Martha uses (to add ingredients) that has the name of the ingredient and measurement on it?

I love Bridget & Julia as the co-hosts of ATK & Cook's Country. They obviously really get along well, & each has an endearing sense of humor. Julia laughs easily. I remember an episode from Kimball's last years where they ran outtakes after the credits and she kept cracking up. There was an episode from this season in which Bridget taught how to make sticky buns. Julia said she'd never really liked them, but went nuts over this recipe. She (& Bridget) couldn't stop eating, & Bridget cracked a couple of jokes (including "I wouldn't kick this out of bed"). Julia was laughing so much that at one point she said "I'm crying!" Of course, she never stopped eating the whole time. :D;):rolleyes::cool:

Julia has said her favorite part of cooking is the prep work. She is truly a marvel with a knife, but you definitely sit there thinking "I could never do that." That's why I like Ellie Krieger of Ellie's Real Good Food. When she chops veggies, it's obvious she's no virtuoso, as she does it slowly and methodically. Plus I like the fact that the credits show that her show was funded at least partially by crowdsourcing (gofundme).

From Wikipedia: Krieger was a fashion model during her late teens and early 20s for theWilhelmina Models agency. During her modeling career, she became conscientious of what she was eating and decided to change her eating habits to live a healthier life.

Krieger has a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition from Cornell University, and has a master's in nutrition from Columbia University. Krieger is a registered dietitian and nutritionist and was an adjunct professor at New York University in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health.

I like Krieger too. When her show first started, she was rather dry and shy but now she laughs and makes little food jokes and is much more appealing. I like Julia and Bridget too. I could never stand Christopher Kimball and was happy when he left the show. And yes, I have noticed that Martha has everything marked so she doesn't fuck up. God forbid Martha should ever fuck something up.

We haven't discussed Nigella Lawson who is truly in a class of her own. I don't think you could ever call her food healthy but lordy is it ever delicious, and her mini orgasms over lentils or polenta just make me howl. She has terrible knife skills too and her hands sometimes look like claws but she has never pretended to be anything but a home cook and she revels in the messes she makes. I have loved all of her shows and have 2 of her cookbooks. Her recipe for a chocolate fruit cake is outstanding. I have made it for friends who don't like Christmas fruit cakes and they have loved it.

I'm glad that the various hacks have kind of died down. I know that Guy Fiere is ubiquitous on the Food Network but I don't watch him and never will. Rachel Ray has that dreadful talk show and she is pushing organic dog food called Delish in commercials but I haven't seen her preparing one of her nonsense recipes in a while. Maybe I just haven't looked. A Los Angeles food critic once wrote a scabrous but very funny article about her recipe for pasta carbonara once that I actually cut out and framed in my kitchen. At the time on her show, she was touting "healthful" meals in 30 minutes and proceed to make carbonara sauce with bacon fried in her fucking EVOO and butter, then added heavy cream and shaved parmesan. The critic actually calculated the fat and calorie content and came to the conclusion that there was nothing healthful about the recipe and called her a fraud. I put her and Paula Deen together in the basket of kitchen deplorables.

I'm glad that the various hacks have kind of died down. I know that Guy Fiere is ubiquitous on the Food Network but I don't watch him and never will.

Guy Fieri is closing his absurd Guy’s American Kitchen and Bar in Times Square.

The 500-seat super-restaurant will shut its doors after a last hurrah on Sunday, according to Eater.com.

When it launched in 2012, the restaurant — which served Fieri’s famous “Donkey Sauce,” among other enduringly regrettable items — was met with a critical reception frostier than Fieri’s tips. But it has since been a sizzling hit with tourists.

In a statement to Page Six, Fieri didn’t give a reason for the closure, saying only that he is proud of the 5 ¹/₂-year run. But it could be because the restaurant couldn’t match the culinary virtuosity of 44th Street rival Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Or it could be that, as one Yelp reviewer said while imploring diners to go literally anywhere else in the neighborhood, “the Guitar Center may actually have better service and food.”

• 2 months later...

America's Test Kitchen is awesome: I liked that they tell you how recipes can go wrong, and why they make changes / add certain things to recipes in order to make them work.

If you speak Spanish, it is very similar to a show called Cocineros Argentinos (Argentine Cooks). I think that other Latin American countries have copied off of them (just like they copied off of the TV show Rebelde Way), as now there are Cocineros Chilenos, Cocineros Mexicanos, etc.